Cannot Use IIS Web Server option and set project URL by Stephen Tickner

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 1/28/2008 3:31:31 PM
Duplicates: 333456

I have tried to convert an existing VS 2005 web application to VS 2008. There are several sub project in the solution that are converted succesfully. Whe the process gets to the web application it fails.

I have tried to create a new web application using remote IIS web server and get the same error. The steps outline below work correctly in Visual Studio 2005.
Posted by malkiev on 7/9/2009 at 2:58 AM
Has this been fixed??
It seems that i can work well by using 'Use Custom Web Server' instead of 'Use Local IIS Web server'
Is there a better solution?
Posted by Sowen on 6/30/2008 at 7:46 AM
ditto, that workaround is not a workaround at all!
I am having this problem after converting my 2005 to 2008. The local virtual directory existed, but I just cannot point the project url to the existed local VD. How to fix this?
Posted by mikejng on 4/10/2008 at 8:34 PM
This is closed as fixed. Where is the fix? I am having the same problem!
Posted by Stephen Tickner on 2/6/2008 at 11:35 AM
Hi Joe,

No I had the same reults with a UNC path and a mapped drive. I could set it up ok on the localhost IIS. My email is steve_tickner@trstechnology.com. Thanks for your help!
Steve
Posted by Microsoft on 2/6/2008 at 11:07 AM
Hi Steve, we tried with a UNC path and it also worked. Can you give us your e-mail? That way we can go back and forth quickly to try and determine what is going wrong. Did you have any luck when trying out the scenario without a UNC or mapped path?

Thanks,
Joe
Posted by Stephen Tickner on 2/6/2008 at 9:02 AM
I just setup a local IIS project and can set the 'Use IIS web server' project url to the local host http://localhost/test/ and save the setting.
Thanks
Steve
Posted by Stephen Tickner on 2/5/2008 at 3:15 PM
I haven't tried it with a local project, so let me test that and I'll get back to you.
Thanks
Steve
Posted by Microsoft on 2/5/2008 at 10:38 AM
Interesting, I will try out these cases to see if I can get a repro with a UNC path and/or mapped drive. Just to make sure, this is only broken for you if your project is not local?

Thanks,
Joe
Posted by Stephen Tickner on 2/5/2008 at 10:02 AM
Hi Joe, I'm sorry I didn't make that clearer but yes, I'm definitely mapping the application root to the correct location on the IIS server. After creating tha application I'm going back to IIS and pointing the home directory to WebApplication1. I can build the project and the files are deployed to the correct location. I can also open the url in a browser i.e open www.hostheadersite.com and the default page loads correctly.

I noticed that by default the project was using a UNC path rather than a mapped drive i.e \\Trstd1\D$\Websites\Client\website v1.0.0\WebApplication1\

So I created a new project using the same steps but changing the UNC path to a mapped drive i.e
R:\Websites\Client\website v1.0.0\WebApplication1\

But the results are the same. I cannot set the 'Use IIS Web Server' project URL to the valid and working url.
Thanks,
Steve
Posted by Microsoft on 2/4/2008 at 5:51 PM
I took a look at this with a dev and we are not able to repro. I think the key is step 6. Where exactly is the web application located? Say in step 1 you map your website to d:\foo. Then, do you create your web application in d:\foo\webApplication1? Then you need to use www.hostheadersite.com\webApplication1 since there is no webApplication directly in foo. If you want to use www.hostheadersite.com, then you need to create a new web application at d: which is titled "foo". Now you have a set of files living in d:\foo which your host header maps to and so you should be able to use www.hostheadersite.com as your vdir. Is this working for you? If I am completely off on my guess, please let me know and I'll try and see what else might be going wrong.

Thanks,
Joe

Repro Steps:
1. Create a new website in IIS
2. Create a new folder for the website
3. Create a website host header for dns

4. Create a dns entry for the host header and map development server ip
5. ping host header name to ensure dns resolves

6. Create new project in VS2008 and select ASP.NET web application at the location of the website folder created in step 2 above
7. save project
8. select the project node in solution explorer and choose properties
9. select the web tab
10. choose use IIS web server option
11. set project url to host header url
12. save project
13. error occurs when trying to save
Posted by Microsoft on 1/28/2008 at 9:54 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are escalating this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Stephen Tickner on 1/28/2008 at 3:34 PM
I have posted a thread on ASP.NET forum with some screen shots
Posted by mikejng on 4/10/2008 at 8:55 PM
VS will actually do remote debugging. It's just that it wants to check *locally* in the metabase (or equivalent in Vista/W28) first to be sure the site exists, which is a bug.
The workaround is to install IIS locally, then setup a local site with the same name as the remote site (just add a host header alias for the default local site). Use ping to be sure DNS is finding the remote site, not the local site.
Now the web section of the properties page will let you set the IIS option. From that point debugging works just fine!