.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 does not install by Joshua Burkholder

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 8/21/2008 11:13:37 PM

I received an error during installation and the error log read:

[08/21/08,22:40:46] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1
[08/21/08,22:41:03] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.

I am on Vista Ultimate SP1 and I have .NET Framework 3.5 and VS 2008 Pro installed.

During trouble shooting, I noticed that when I click "Turn Windows features on or off" and the "Windows Features" dialog appears, there is nothing listed ... it's empty.

FYI: I followed the suggestions listed here:

(which didn't work) and ran the August 2008 version (v3) of the System Update Readiness Tool (which fixed everything except the following errors):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checking package watchlist.
(f)    CBS Watchlist Package Missing    0x80070002    Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-MiscRedirection-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~0.0.0.0    Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-MiscRedirection-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.0.6000.16386    Package registry presence failed, possibly an orphaned package on package watchlist

Checking packages.
(f)    CBS Registry Error    0x00000002    Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-CommandLineTools-Package~31bf3856ad364e35"    Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\    Failed to open store sub key

However, the "Windows Features" dialog still came up blank and I still could not install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Of course, I need to program against and deploy the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, so if this is happening to me, then it will definitely happen to my end-users ... so I can't consider using this framework until this gets fixed.

Lastly, if you need us to have the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (or any other dependencies), then you should include those in the installer ... especially because the installer is already 230+ MB ... so what's another 100 MB.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/3/2008 at 11:15 AM
Hi Joshua,

I'm glad you were able to work around the issue. Unfortunately, looks like the logs are overwritten by the successful install. Please let us know if you have any other issues.

Thanks,
Visual Studio Deployment Team
Posted by Joshua Burkholder on 8/27/2008 at 6:33 AM
I looked through some (but not all) of the log files in the vslog.cab file that I attached and I didn't see any entry before AUG 24 (when I did my "update" workaround). Unfortunately, all my installation errors occured on AUG 21 or before. I looked around for just a few minutes and I found a CBS.persist.log that looks like the CBS.log before my "update" workaround ... so I zipped it up and attached it below. If there are other persist logs that you need, just let me know their usual locations and I'll attach them as well.
Posted by Joshua Burkholder on 8/27/2008 at 6:05 AM
I have attached the vslogs.cab file. As I noted in my Community Discussion comment below, I worked around the problem by purchasing a new DVD of Vista SP1 and "updating" my broken Vista SP1 install. After "updating", I was able to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 & VS 2008 SP1 without error ... so hopefully those old log files weren't overwritten in the process.

Hopefully I Didn't Overwrite The Logs With My Workaround,
Joshua Burkholder
Posted by Microsoft on 8/27/2008 at 12:04 AM
Hi

Thanks for your feedback. Could you please provide us log files as specified in the following post? http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/08/01/4172276.aspx

Thanks,
Kylin
Posted by Microsoft on 8/25/2008 at 1:40 AM
Thanks for your feedback. We are escalating this bug to the product unit who works on that specific feature area. The team will review this issue and make a decision on whether they will fix it or not for the next release.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Joshua Burkholder on 8/24/2008 at 8:19 PM
Unacceptable Workaround:

I purchased a new Vista Ultimate SP1 disk, updated my Windows installation (even though I already had Windows Vista Ulimate SP1), and the "Windows Features" came back. I was then able install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 ... and VS 2008 SP1.

Workaround Issues:

I originally tried to use my OEM Vista Ultimate disk to update my system; however, that Dell disk was only Vista Ultimate, not Vista Ultimate SP1, so it refused to update my current system (which I had updated to Vista Ultimate SP1 through Windows Update).

Also, the "update" to Vista Ultimate SP1 using this new non-Dell disk took over 3 hours (over 4 hours if you include downloading and installing patches at the end). No end-user would go through that just to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (which took an additional 30 to 45 minutes to install BTW).

You guys need to get the Operating System team to fix this and give you guys something to add to this framework redistributable, so that people in the blank-"Windows Features" situation will actually be able to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 ... otherwise, I'll just be programming for myself.