TFS Source Control: "Date Modified" of files in workspace is incorrect by Mark Zvilius

as External Help for as External

Opened: 3/10/2009 4:21:23 PM

When performing a Get in TFS Source Control, the date of the resulting local (workspace) file should be the date of the changeset. Instead it is set to "now," i.e. the date of the Get.
Posted by Victor Sumskoy at CoCentrix on 4/29/2014 at 11:00 AM
When performing a Get in TFS Source Control, the date of the resulting local (workspace) file is set to "now," i.e. the date of the Get instead of the date of the changeset.
Posted by ToServe on 2/28/2012 at 10:34 PM
I would like to move from VSS to TFS but I can't until this feature is implemented - it's long overdue.
Posted by R.Kuhn on 2/16/2012 at 9:32 AM
Seems like it will be fixed in TFS11:

"Restore file modification time

When TFS gets files on to your local disk, it always sets the file modification time to the date/time that the get operation happened. There are some work practices where this is problematic. Some practices use the date stamp on the file for incremental deployment or other kinds of change management. SourceSafe had 3 options for setting the time stamp on files:

The time the file is gotten (this was the default and works very well in concert with make and other similar build dependency trackers).
    The modification time that the file had when it was last edited before checkin.
    The date/time that the file was checked in.

TFS 2010 and before only supported option #1. In TFS 11, we have added support for option #3. It can be set on a workspace by workspace basis. We plan to add support for #2 in the future but haven’t gotten there yet."

[ http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2011/09/01/wrapping-up-tfs-11-version-control-improvements.aspx ]

Posted by Zakomi on 9/2/2011 at 1:46 PM
We are migrating files from SourceSafe to TFS and ran into this issue too. Please give us the last modified date and time.
Posted by Craig H Rogers on 8/1/2011 at 8:03 AM
When will the resolution be forthcoming?
Posted by Chris Kitt on 5/3/2010 at 2:28 PM
Has there been any update on this issue?
Posted by jonyeh on 4/20/2010 at 12:05 PM
Without this feature, I can't check in my development code if it this project is already in Production. Because if my PC crashed, I have to rely on Source Library on the network to give me the production version source code, but with such wrong time stamp on the file, I can't tell if this is from Development Region or from Production Region. What is the work around? Create a new project and keep the Production Project intact. Thus if I have different prototypes in the development, I'll have to create a few different project to maintain my source code. In a realy enterprise software team, such feature is a must. I miss my old PVCS source control, because of this feature.
Posted by PraveenAdini on 3/16/2010 at 11:36 AM
We need this feature badly. Is there any progress or estimation as to when this feature would be available and what versions of TFS?
Posted by JCollum on 2/12/2010 at 8:59 AM
Me too. I'd really like my local files to have a timestamp that is the last checkin date of the file in TFS. Having a timestamp that is the last time I got the file from source is almost worthless.
Posted by CMerc on 1/15/2010 at 8:07 AM
I would love to know why this functionality does not exist when it exists in Source Safe. I've found threads almost 4 years old requesting this feature. I would think it would be an easy thing to implement. An Option that says preserve file dates and a small piece of code to set the file date as the file is written.

What is the logic behind not including this feature?
Posted by Scott Crowder on 11/5/2009 at 8:28 AM
I'm going to back into an old branch and it would really help to have the date the files were last changed. Instead I have a whole solution tree with files dated 11/5/2009
Posted by Ted F1 on 9/28/2009 at 3:58 PM
Any update on this? I have found this same requirement discussed in several forums so I think it would be a good problem to fix.

Ted
Posted by Microsoft on 5/29/2009 at 3:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback on the last modified time. We've heard this request from other customers in the past, and we are tracking the request on our feature backlog.

-Matt
Posted by Microsoft on 3/10/2009 at 11:58 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

We are escalating this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.

Visual Studio Product Team