Invalid Webresource.axd parameters being generated
4/24/2009 6:49:38 AM
User(s) can reproduce this bug
We have an odd error with WebResource.axd url generation. (It does not seem to be related to the fairly common "WebRsource.axd Padding is invalid and cannot be removed" issue).
We have an ASP.NET web page that, when created, adds a script reference to WebResource.axd.
In our case, the link should (and usually does look like):
All well and good. However, we are getting errors logged from users...and the url they're trying to access looks like (in one case):
Stranger yet, we got a few of these in rapid succession from the same user, who was apparently trying to reload the page...each url slightly different.
Has anyone seen anything like this? (or better, has anyone understood why this was happening, and come up with a way to eliminate it?)
Some additional information...in response to some research, we made sure that our scripts are encased with CDATA tags, since our doctype is xhtml transitional:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
Unfortunately, though we had high hopes, it does not seem to have solved the problem. We've noticed this more often with IE 8 as a browser, which would lend some credence to the idea that this is browser related...perhaps the way the browser is parsing the stream...but why we would get subtly different responses on subsequent attempts baffles me.
EDIT: After looking around, we're seeing indications that this is a more widespread problem than we had initially anticipated. We were seeing this manifest itself within the WebResource.axd link because the user was trying to access that invalid URL, and so that error was logged within our web server...but now we're seeing some indications that this may be happening in many places, and we only are seeing indications of the problem when the mangling happens to start within a URL...because only then will a request potentially be made back to the server with that bad URL.
Comments made by people below have allowed us to narrow in on some of the aspects of the problem: The URL isn't just mangled...what is actually happening is a section of text is lost. The URL may start fine, but then 4K of the html is missing, which means the rest of the url is whatever is in the page 4K later.
Again, we noticed this initially because we were getting errors on the server when clients were requesting WebResrouce.axd with bad parameters, but after looking around I suspect that this is happening in other places as well, and being logged in different places...for example, we are seeing errors where the URL is too long...and it looks like the URL being requested starts correctly again, but then jumps into the ViewState. Different looking error, but with the same problem...4K being dropped.
Now, I strongly suspect that this is related to IE 8. We first started noticing this when the IE beta came out, and it has increased steadily ever since. I've also spoken with people who claim that that they've been able to reproduce the problem, but only with IE 8. (We see some reports with IE 7, which we suspect is actually IE 8 in "compatibility mode")