Release Visual Studio 2008 SP2 !! by Lachlan01

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 5/27/2009 2:47:50 PM

Please Microsoft release an SP2 for VS2008, I'm sick of it crashing randomly every couple of hours, it's a very frustrating way to work and no other production software I use is this unreliable.

I don't want to have to download separate patches hoping that one will fix my bug(s).

Can we please have an end to the MS cycle of release a Visual Studio full of bugs, patch most bugs in SP1, then release a whole new Visual Studio full of new features (some worthwhile, some not) and new bugs... This has been going on for over a decade now!

I'm sure I speak for the development community when I say we would prefer a stable IDE first, new features second.

Posted by SSRS_DEV on 9/6/2011 at 8:31 AM
Still getting the same problem in some cases... after updating BIDS 2008, SP2 CU1..

Version=1
Sig[8].Value=System.ComponentModel.Win32
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=1033
UI[2]=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
UI[3]=Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close.
UI[4]=If you had files open that contained unsaved changes, these changes might be lost.
UI[5]=Check online for a solution and restart the program
UI[6]=Check online for a solution later and close the program
UI[7]=Close the program
Sec[0].Key=LCID
Sec[0].Value=1033
State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
State[0].Value=1
FriendlyEventName=Stopped working
ConsentKey=CLR20r3
AppName=Microsoft Visual Studio
AppPath=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Posted by RohitMule on 3/15/2011 at 11:50 PM
Hello,

When I am trying to open aspx file VS2008 get crash. I have given logs below

EventType clr20r3, P1 devenv.exe, P2 9.0.30729.1, P3 488f2b50, P4 NIL, P5 NIL, P6 NIL, P7 NIL, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Please solve this problem ASAP
Posted by real_skydiver on 2/7/2011 at 7:03 AM
The last stabel IDE I saw was VS60. Every version after that crashes every now and than for various, mostly unknown, reasons. What a coincidence that this unreliable piece of software appeared when .NET made its appearance - promising to us that with managed code everything just gets better. Now I have seen a degrading in quality - big times - with products based on .NET. The only positive side is, they may have a fancier GUI. Bad tradeoff, IMHO, for a ten times longer load time, ten times more memory consumption (sometimes much more than just ten times) and ten times more crashes. My opinion about .NET is pretty obvious.

I still develop plain vanilla C++ (ATL most, some MFC, STL ...), as long as I don't have to integrate 3td-party stuff (libs) which are only available for VC9 or higher (e.g. Oracle >=10), I prefer to stick with VS60. Considering the crashes I saw in VS2008 and the problems involved with it, I consider VS60 as a lot more productive.
Posted by Santosh BSK on 10/21/2010 at 2:22 PM
Mainly with WPF the IDE runs out of memory lot. Our solution includes 93 projects. When i build a single project having XAML files, visual studio runs out of memory for 4th or 5th time i build the project. I always keep another instance of solution ready. It would be nice if there is a fix for this in SP2.

Thanks.
Posted by Andrew Brace1 on 9/13/2010 at 8:14 AM
Dear Visual Studio Product Team,

This error occurs on a weekly basis causing a loss of development time while I repeat the cycle of closing VS2008, shutting down Windows and restarting VS2008. Sometimes this is repeated a dozen times. i have tried safe mode as suggested below and tried uploading the dump file but the URL and pasword are invallid.

Thanks.
Posted by jhhhj on 9/10/2010 at 11:25 AM
Dear Visual Studio Product Team,

I see that you cannot repro the bugs and crashes while many other users can.
Whenever my VS crashes or my coworker's VS crashes we send reports to Microsoft via automatic crash reporting functionality built into Windows. Please dig through that database and you will find a ton of crashes from Visual Studio, I am sure.

Thank you.
Posted by Asif Bahrainwala on 8/28/2010 at 4:54 AM
please look up: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/556653/vs2010-crashes

Vs2010 crashes
Posted by SSRS_DEV on 6/16/2010 at 8:57 AM
Oh yes and I even did a re-install on both machines from scratch and this error is still happening. Which makes me believe there is an issue with a recent .NET fix or patch because this error does not happen in VS 2005 BIDS running the same report

PLEASE HELP!!
Posted by SSRS_DEV on 6/16/2010 at 8:56 AM
I have been getting this with VS 2008, SP1 when trying to preview SSRS reports. This did not happen a few months ago.. I think there is a bug somewhere in one of the latest fixes... I to am running Windows 7 32-bit Pro and Ent. I can duplicate this issue with both R1 and R2 SQL Server instances with VS 2008 BIDS.

Fault bucket 652506783, type 5

P8: 121
P9: System.ComponentModel.Win32
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\ADEGAETANO\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSCommon\9.0\SQM\sqmdata.cvr

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\ADEGAETANO\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_devenv.exe_d018e18fbf1ea5fad4c0874950dea3e09d9ca022_1659af90

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 667605a6-795e-11df-965e-001e0ba1f02e
Report Status: 0
Posted by Tony Cruise on 5/9/2010 at 6:20 AM
We are also encountering this problem, in three different, but constant variants as follows:
- VS crashes on startup (about 1 in 5 startups)
- VS is stuck in the 'Switch To/Wait' state after you switch to design view
- VS crashes if you click on the file window close when rendering of all windows has not been completed. Which is easy to do when you have a page that is based on a master page i.e. takes a little while to render.

Our environment:
- Windows 7 32 bit
- VS 2008 Team Studio
- Dev Express (crashes occur with the extensions loaded and unloaded)
- VS run as Administrator (which is annoying in itself!)

You seem to assuming that we will just switch to 2010 to fix this issue, cover your ears and wait for it to go away. We do intend to cut-over but before that we have large existing codebase that has to be tested with the new version, so we have a period of time where we have to put up with constant crashes.

At the very list you could group together i.e. actually produce some decent documenation, of the multitude of Hotfixes that are available to fix these issues, rather than have us have to try and find a fix that might fix a particular problem.

We are one of your larger customers in Australia if that carries any weight!
Posted by Lachlan01 on 4/6/2010 at 7:43 PM
EventType : clr20r3     P1 : devenv.exe     P2 : 9.0.30729.1     P3 : 488f2b50
P4 : system.drawing     P5 : 2.0.0.0     P6 : 4889dec2     P7 : 24b     P8 : 121
P9 : system.componentmodel.win32

Don't know if this is any use but I get VS2008 SP1 crashing ALL THE TIME with something like this...

Spose you don't care now what with 2010 coming out :(
Posted by Automize on 1/22/2010 at 12:26 PM
I agree with the original comment here.. I have had to hunt down and install 5 separate patches for VS SP1 at this point and I still have serious stability issues (as do the others on my team). The number of individual hotfixes available at his point is beyond what can be adequately supported.
Posted by Nishat Mazhar on 1/20/2010 at 10:23 AM
Visual Studio 2008 is crashing when trying to open an existing report OR when creating a new report.
Posted by BINGO BONGO on 10/24/2009 at 9:32 AM
VS2008 crashes when i work with building new report.
I'm also tired!
Posted by Ruifeng Wu on 10/16/2009 at 3:18 AM
Is the information enough? I expect the solution from MS!!!!!
Posted by Ruifeng Wu on 10/16/2009 at 3:17 AM

P8: c0000409
P9: 00000000
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\rfwu\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA97D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\rfwu\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_devenv.exe_d26a3426b5b2e190c1894558872a208719302f3a_0a9cf211

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 317597f1-ba3c-11de-aad9-001b38a38ec3
Report Status: 0
Posted by Ruifeng Wu on 10/16/2009 at 3:17 AM
Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 9.0.30729.1, time stamp: 0x488f2b50
Faulting module name: csproj.dll, version: 9.0.30729.1, time stamp: 0x488f2c59
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00106e73
Faulting process id: 0x12b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca4e48edffabc6
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC#\VCSPackages\csproj.dll
Report Id: 317597f1-ba3c-11de-aad9-001b38a38ec3
Posted by Microsoft on 8/5/2009 at 10:57 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I’ve asked around about possible solutions to your frequent crashes. Since I don’t have a crash report from you, or specific repro steps, this is a bit of a stab in the dark. One of the suggestions I have is for you to run Visual Studio in safe mode. Add-ins can sometimes be the trigger for crashes, and running in safe mode can at least rule out if you have an add-in that is causing issues. To run in safe mode, use the following command:

devenv /safemode

As for downloading the symbol files as a one-time download, although I found that this is done for Windows, I can’t find this for Visual Studio. I’ll keep asking around and update this thread if I learn of a download location that would work for you.

There are currently no plans to ship another service pack for Visual Studio 2008. Reports of frequent crashes are currently being addressed through hot-fixes.

I’m going to resolve this bug as “Not Repro” since we haven’t been able to track down the specific cause of your crashes. If you ever find that specific steps result in a crash (e.g. rearranging windows) then please reactivate this bug and hopefully we can track down a hot fix for you.

Suzanne Hansen, Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Shell Team
Posted by Microsoft on 8/5/2009 at 10:56 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding.

devenv /safemode

Suzanne Hansen, Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Shell Team
Posted by Lachlan01 on 6/4/2009 at 2:59 PM
Why does Microsoft always assume that everyone is always connected to the internet, all the time? The network that I develop on does not have internet connectivity, I have to use a separate PC. This is not uncommon. This means I cannot use features such as stepping into Microsoft's framework source code, which would be useful at times. Why not build this into VS, or make it available as a one time download?

I don't have the time or inclination to submit crash reports, I just want to know when a SP is available for download, thanks. I assume that if me and other programmers I know are getting regular crashes, then MS surely knows about the issues.

Take all those developers working on Bing and reassign them to something useful like Visual Studio.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/4/2009 at 2:45 PM
Hello Lachlan01,

I want to start off by saying that we take crash reports of Visual Studio seriously. There is nothing more frustrating than when you’re in the middle of solving a problem and the very tool that is supposed to help you, fails. When Visual Studio asks if it can send a crash report to Microsoft, I do hope that you let it – these reports do end up with feature groups who investigate (and fix) the crashes.

With every release we try to carefully balance the new features with stabilizing existing features. The decision to release a service pack or a patch is not taken lightly. We want our customers to be happy with Visual Studio, and sometimes a patch is the best way to get Visual Studio quickly working properly for our customers.

I see that you have been provided with instructions on how to collect and send us a dump file, and that an upload location has already been set up for you. Please let us know about your next crash – hopefully we can point you to a patch that’s already out there. (And take some of the guesswork out of the process.)

Suzanne Hansen, Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Shell Team
Posted by Microsoft on 5/30/2009 at 11:01 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:
a) a dump file
b) more steps/actions to reproduce the problem

You can get the dump file with the following steps:
1. Download the Debugging Tools for Windows from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx and install. Assume that you copy it to “C:\Debuggers”.

2. Open a command line prompt. Close all unnecessary applications.

3. Try to reproduce the problem.

4. Before VS IDE crashes , execute the following command at the command line prompt:

cscript C:\Debuggers\adplus.vbs -crash -FullOnFirst -pn devenv.exe –o C:\Dump

Dump file will be generated at “C:\Dump” and it usually takes several hundred MB. Make sure that you have sufficient disk space.

5. After VS IDE crash, please go to the folder “C:\Dump”. There can be multiple .DMP files. If their size are huge, please add the first .DMP file sorted by the timestamp (e.g. the first .DMP file captured) to a zip and upload it to the workspace:
Password: 70PWYz{i[3

If we do not receive a response from you after 7-days , we will automatically close your issue. There is no obligation to respond -- at any time you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team