IronRuby Integration In Visual Studio 2010 by MLetterle

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 7/31/2009 12:52:03 PM

Visual Studio has no built in support for IronRuby. This makes adoption and wide spread use unlikely and difficult.
Posted by Jimmy Schementi on 9/2/2011 at 7:30 AM
IronRuby now contains some simple VS integration when you install it with the MSI: http://ironruby.net/tools/
Posted by Microsoft on 10/20/2010 at 9:38 AM
Mlettrle, I'm sorry to say that we won't be shipping IronRuby with Visual Studio. However, we are working on a VS integration prototype similar to the IronPython Tools for VS that we release this past summer. The IPy Tools for VS has more features than the IRb Tools prototype, but there's definitely some support that is a good start.

I've resolved this won't fix because I interpreted the original suggestion to ship IRb with VS.

Bill
Posted by Aaron Ransley on 9/15/2010 at 1:11 PM
I would benefit highly from some amount of IronRuby tooling.
Posted by michael herndon1 on 9/2/2010 at 8:57 AM
has there been any discussion or progress made towards extending vs 2010 to support iron ruby? there is definitely desire for this. To come this far and develop iron ruby and then not supply support for the language would be a huge disappointment to the .net developer community.
Posted by hardtosay on 5/27/2010 at 5:24 AM
I would very much like to start using IronRuby, but the lack of integration into Visual Studio makes it a very hard sell to others at work. I love C#, but having a dynamic language like Ruby woud give me another great tool to use in the right situation.

Dan
Posted by Andrew VDB on 4/6/2010 at 6:45 AM
I think a lot developer will use iron ruby with c# as I did, especially during metaprogramming or in the case of need of code section which is dynamic that need to be updated with no compile, or self modify program. So i think, add *.rb as ironRuby class template (with method_missing) on any vb/c#/f# project, with intellisense is nice, the file automatically set to always copy
Posted by Noon Knight on 3/12/2010 at 11:09 AM
If only Ruby was supported like VB & C#. Writing .NET stuff in IR is a real joy.
Posted by soumyasch on 2/16/2010 at 10:21 PM
At least statement completion, syntax coloring, and debugging from within VS is required.

May be something can be published on CodePlex as a sample of VS 2010-optimized language service, which will be open to non-MS check-ins, so that we can chip in.
Posted by Joel Holder - Domesticated Primate on 2/13/2010 at 12:07 PM
I Completely agree. When MS demonstrates a true commitment to IronRuby and IronPython, by giving us first class support in their tooling, they'll lure in the dynamic languages crowd. Until then, DLR+Iron* are just toys.
Posted by Mark.Rendle on 12/22/2009 at 7:47 AM
The wealth of testing tools like RSpec/Cucumber/Webrat, and the Gestalt project which adds Ruby support in the browser via Silverlight/Moonlight, are key drivers for IronRuby adoption, but the lack of proper support in VS is counter-acting those drivers. I'd gladly contribute to it if it were an open-source Codeplex project.
Posted by Victor Rodrigues on 12/19/2009 at 5:35 PM
I would like to have .rb files on c# projects as well.. This would be a nice integration.
Posted by Andrew Stifora on 11/6/2009 at 9:08 AM
The ability to develop IronRuby in VS2010 is definitely needed.
Posted by Xaba Xaba on 11/6/2009 at 4:40 AM
I think this is a good idea.

For example I can use IronRuby as script/automation language for .NET applications. JScript is dead (because MS don't support it in actually state as JavaScript), PowerShell isn't clear for understanding. Because IronRuby is good alternative JScript and PowerShell.
Posted by Dan Atkinson on 11/4/2009 at 4:26 AM
Actually, here is an IronPython integration request:

Posted by Dan Atkinson on 11/4/2009 at 4:24 AM
If there is also an IronPython integration petition, show me where it is, and I'll put my vote to that as well. :)
Posted by Joel 'Jaykul' Bennett on 11/3/2009 at 7:22 AM
Leaving these out of the default while including F# serves as a reminder of the anti-open source bias at Microsoft, it's not a good choice.
Posted by Mike Chaliy on 11/3/2009 at 7:21 AM
Even partial support like for F# will be valuable.
Posted by squidsoup on 11/2/2009 at 2:17 PM
This is really critical for the adoption of Python and Ruby in the .net space - it is very disappointing that there is not support in VS2010.
Posted by Lars Wilhelmsen on 10/25/2009 at 11:49 AM
The same goes for IronPython...

--larsw
Posted by Microsoft on 8/4/2009 at 7:41 PM
Thank you for your feedback, We are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com)
Posted by Jimmy Schementi on 9/2/2011 at 7:30 AM
Posted by Andrew VDB on 4/6/2010 at 6:51 AM
//Create ironRuby runtime
            var runtime = IronRuby.Ruby.CreateRuntime();

//Get ironRuby engine
            var engine = runtime.GetEngine("rb");

//sample execute script from file
         var x= engine.Execute(File.ReadAllText("Person.rb"));

We can use visual studio 2008, c# 3.0 to use ironRuby 1.0 RC 4
tested
Download the dll needed, add it as reference
Add "code file", name it Person.rb for example, set it always copy
and thats it

I assume, on visual studio 2010 also same
Posted by soumyasch on 3/24/2010 at 7:56 PM
@Casualjim, but you can't do it inside VS, can you?
Posted by Maxthon on 12/4/2009 at 3:54 AM
In fact, if you may get a version of Ruby complier's code, you may rewrite it into an VS2010 plugin and publish it yourself, and even make money out of it. :-D
Posted by Casual Jim on 11/3/2009 at 7:32 AM
The biggest part of the problem is that visual studio creates files with a UTF-16 BOM.
Ruby will not take that and barf on files created in visual studio.

To be able to edit files in visual studio with IronRuby I did the following:
I created an empty textfile with notepad++ and added that to a solution. Then extracted a template from the file and called it Rubyfile. From now on I can edit ironruby files in ironruby.