Won't install visual studio 2008 on windows 7 64-bit version by rlefkov

Resolved
 as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 9/9/2009 12:14:29 PM

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM (even though the OS selection drop-down only lists Windows 7 RC, I actually have Windows 7 RTM, it has been released early for technet) and when I try to install VS 2008 Pro from the setup.exe on the root of the CD, I get a message "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Of course I tried all of the compatability options to run as Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, etc.. none of these made any difference, always the same message. I also tried the compatability troubleshooter...no luck.

Robert
Posted by Microsoft on 7/23/2010 at 12:51 AM
Hi,
I understand that this is probably quite late to respond, not sure why this issue did not reach us on time but in any case were you able to get this issue resolved... If not please feel free to send me an email at Vishal.Joshi@Microsoft.com
Thanks
Vishal R. Joshi | http://vishalrjoshi.com | @vishalrjoshi

Posted by Skarlok on 10/28/2009 at 10:03 AM
I also have this problem. Windows 7 Enterprise (RTM downloaded from Microsoft Licensing) x64 bit... Visual Studio 2008 Professional...
Posted by rlefkov on 9/29/2009 at 10:40 AM
Actually the initial setup.exe won't even run (so it is never getting to the point to try to install the web-authoring component. Also the only version of Office installed is Office 2007 RTM (no pre-release versions of anything are installed).
Posted by Microsoft on 9/29/2009 at 10:27 AM
The Web Authoring Component is failing to install and this may be due to a pre-release version of Office already installed on your machine.

To work around this issue, uninstall any pre-release versions of Office. Alternatively, you can select only to install certain Visual Studio components, and don't install Visual Web Developer.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/11/2009 at 3:19 AM
Thanks for your feedback. We are routing this bug to the product unit who works on that specific feature area. The team will review this issue and make a decision on whether they will fix it or not for the next release.

Visual Studio Product Team