MSBuild target PipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder cannot be found when deploying by SanderRijken

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 10/27/2009 4:45:47 PM

Deploying a Web Application Project from VS2010 beta2 causes an error in MSBuild. It complains that the PipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder target cannot be found.

Is there any way to further diagnose this?
Posted by Jim Sn on 5/28/2010 at 10:37 AM
By the way, my projects build and run fine locally. The only problem is that I cannot publish, either to a server with FTP or to the local file system.
Posted by Jim Sn on 5/28/2010 at 10:32 AM
I also have this message: The target "PipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder" does not exist in the project.

I am using VS 2010 Architecture and Modeling Tools 01019-532-2002102-70035. No previous version of VS is installed.

The problem occurs in several projects (maybe all) when I try to publish, and I cannot figure out what's changed. I have published several things successfully two days ago, and can thing of anything I changed between the time I was successful and when I started getting this message. I don't think it's in the project files, because they all seem to fail, so I must have installed something that caused it. I do remember that there was an automatic Windows update that ran.

I do have the "Import Project" in the .csproj file. I compared what's above to what's in my project file, and they are character-for-character identical.
Posted by VictorJuri on 4/20/2010 at 10:18 AM
I have this same problem but the solution did not work.

This is what I have in my vbproj file:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildBinPath)\Microsoft.VisualBasic.targets" />
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v8.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" Condition="'$(Solutions.VSVersion)' == '8.0'" />
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" Condition="'$(Solutions.VSVersion)' == '9.0'" />
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" />
Posted by Ewart on 1/18/2010 at 1:35 PM
I reproduced the same error by downloading the mojoPortal opensource sourcecode from http://www.mojoportal.com and converting to VS2010. Runs fine but when you publish for deployment the publish fails.

The workaround worked fine for me.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/13/2009 at 6:15 PM
Hi, thanks for reporting this issue. We are fixing it for a future relase.
                 Microsoft web development tools team
Posted by Coxy on 11/9/2009 at 9:09 AM
Some 3rd party applications may strip out this Import attribute incorrectly. We had this problem after upgrading a VS2008 web application project that had previously been converted from VB to C# using VBConversions 2.24.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/5/2009 at 11:07 AM
Hi Sander Rijken and michaeltanderson -

Thank you for your continued patience with this issue. I have tried the following without being able to reproduce the results you have observed:
1. Create a Web Application Project using VS2005 + SP1 (vista x86)
2. Upgrade/convert said project using VS2008 + SP1 (vista x86)
3. Further upgrade /convert said project using VS2010 (W2K8 R2 x64)

I am wondering if the issue might stem from creating the project with VS2005 + WAP Add-in (prior to VS2005 SP1). If either of you could send me the project files at the different points of the conversion process, that may help us in figuring out where the issue is coming from. You can send files or email communications to me at nicholeb at microsoft dot com.

We are very interested in getting to the bottom of this issue to so any further specific details about exactly which versions of the product you were using at the different stages of the conversion would be helpful.

Thanks,
Nichole
Web Development Tools
Posted by Sander Rijken on 11/4/2009 at 8:14 AM
I think I either converted or created the Web Application project the first instance it was available, which must've been 2005 (pre-SP1) with the WAP patch installed.
The project has since seen the VS2005 SP1, VS2008 and VS2008 SP1 upgrades

I performed the update on VS2010 on Windows 7 (final) x64
Posted by Microsoft on 11/3/2009 at 5:44 PM
Hi michaeltanderson -

Thank you so much for the response. It would be great if you could send a version of the 2005 and 2008 project files to nicholeb at microsoft dot com. I just wanted to clarify - when you opened the project in VS2010 b2, you were on Windows Vista - x86 also? Additionally, you used VS2008 and not VS2008 SP1, correct?

Thanks again,
Nichole
Posted by manderson on 11/3/2009 at 11:35 AM
Upon conversion of a Web Application Project from VS2008 to VS2010 b2, I have run into the same issue.

Here is my setup:

Original project file was created in Visual Studio 2005 (WAP add-in) and then upgraded to VS 2008.
Windows Vista - x86

I have 286 versions of my project file back to early 2006 in SCC. I'm willing to share the 2005 and 2008 versions if it will help. If so, please post an e-mail address I can send them to.

Posted by Microsoft on 11/3/2009 at 10:51 AM
Hi SanderRijken -

We have been trying to figure out how the project file got into this state and reproduce the issue you describe. So far, when I try to reproduce this issue (using a project created on an OS which is x86 + VS2008 SP1 and then open on an OS which is x64 with VS2010), the line you describe in your workaround is present.

In order to try and pinpoint the problem, can you provide the following information. Was the original project created using VS2008 or VS2008 SP1? Was the original product created on an OS = x64 or x86? Was the VS2008 project opened (and converted) on the same machine it was created on? If not, was the machine's configuration different (x64 vs. x86)?

Thanks for your help,
The Web Development Tools Team
Posted by Aaron Smith on 10/29/2009 at 8:43 AM
This seems to happen on some imported web application projects. I had the same issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/29/2009 at 2:10 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by SanderRijken on 10/27/2009 at 4:50 PM
I found a solution to this myself. This line wasn't present in the .csproj file for some reason:

Posted by NerdPad on 5/18/2010 at 6:52 AM
Even if you add the V10.0 MSBuildExtensions path the WebApplication project will fail to load with VS2008 on machines with no VS2010 installed.

To open the project in both 2008 & 2010 you import both v9.0 & v10.0 path in the project file.

Do the following changes to your WebApplication project file:

1. Open the solution in VS2010. Visual Studio will ask for an upgrade. Upgrade the WebApplication Project. Unload the project and then edit the Project file.

2. Add the V10.0 msbuild path before V9.0

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" Condition="'$(Solutions.VSVersion)' == '10.0'" />

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" Condition="'$(Solutions.VSVersion)' == '9.0'" />

3. Empty the FileUpgradeFlags tag. After the update FileUpgradeFlags tag will have 0 in it. Make it <FileUpgradeFlags></FileUpgradeFlags>

Now the project will load normally in VS2010 & VS2008 (Even if VS2010 is not installed).
Posted by SanderRijken on 10/27/2009 at 4:51 PM
Manually add this to the csproj file, below the Microsoft.CSharp.targets import