"The operating system is not presently configured to run this application" and "Cannot load MSO.dll" after recent update by Marcel du Preez

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 11/30/2009 11:41:55 PM

Hi

When opening an ASP.Net page in design view, the following two error messages are displayed in succession :

1. "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application"
2. "Cannot load MSO.dll"

I am running Windows 7 x64, and have installed Microsoft Office 2010 Beta x64 a week ago (24 Nov). VS was working fine alongside Office2010 since then until yesterday (30 Nov). I have seen posts about a registry entry called Path which points to the MSO.dll file, but that is applicable to previous versions of VS. I've also tried repair installing Office2010.

I can't see any events in the Event viewer generated by this error.

The MSO.dll file exists in my Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office14 folder.

An update was installed on 30 Nov, entitled "Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack".

Posted by Barışcan on 3/20/2012 at 6:49 AM
Hi, I am still experiencing this error, I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and didnt work, that file exists in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Packages\vwd\mso.dll

I have tried to open VS with both normal and admin user rights and it didnt work,

I have tried workarounds and didnt work

I use VS2010 Ultimate

Regards

My log file : bariscantunali.com/vslogs.cab
And screenshots : bariscantunali.com/Error.png and bariscantunali.com/Afterok.png
Posted by TrondHuso on 6/15/2010 at 4:44 AM
The workaround does not work under Windows7 with Office 2010 installed. I have created the file asked for in the first answer. Where do I post this?

This file should be included in the VS2008 installation (or in SP1/SP2)

Best
Trond
Posted by a_Antony on 4/13/2010 at 6:29 AM
Experienced the same problem. (Switching to design mode in vs2008 for an ASCX) Used FileMon.exe to watch devenv.exe hitting the disk, noticed that it was scouring my path looking for MSO.dll so I added the directory (C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\) to the system path and re-launched vs2008.

This fixed the problem for me.
Posted by Ranger Yu on 1/27/2010 at 8:42 AM
Reproduced, and I got a solution. See workarounds tab. Goodluck!
Posted by Mermid79 on 1/15/2010 at 1:47 AM
Hi,
same problem for me. After installing Office 2010 side by side with Office 2007.
Posted by HazemUSA1 on 1/13/2010 at 8:53 AM
This has happened to me and is REPRODUCIBLE...!
I had Office 2007 and Visual Studio 2008. After installing Office 2010 Beta and uninstalling Office 2007, VS always, when switching from Code View to Design View, comes up with the error: "The operating system is not currently configured to run this application"
Clicking OK brings another message "Cannot Load MSO.dll"

I like to hope that MS can help with this problem without asking to re-install Office 2007!
Posted by Jon Brammeier on 1/6/2010 at 3:23 PM
I've been fighting this one for a couple months now. I had it in XP after installing either Silverlight or Office 2007. After completely reinstalling Visual Studio 2008 to no avail, I finally decided it was time to move to Windows 7. I installed a clean copy of Windows 7, Visual Studio 2008 and Office 2007. However, I still have the problem. I'm thrilled.

I will attempt your information gathering process. But believe me, it's reproducible.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/9/2009 at 3:01 AM
Hi, given that we have not heard back from you in 7 days. We will go ahead and close this Connect Issue. If you get a chance to review and provide the information requested earlier, you can go ahead and reactivate this issue.(Click “Edit this item” button on the site and change the “Status” to “Active”)
Posted by Microsoft on 12/1/2009 at 7:22 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please upload a setup log file to help us investigate the issue?
You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by DarkNite on 10/28/2010 at 1:33 PM
For x64 machines copy the entire contents of C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\ from a 32 bit machine with Office 2007 to the C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\ folder on the 64 bit machine and restart Visual Studio. I also added C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\ to my path. No more errors.
Posted by a_Antony on 4/13/2010 at 6:29 AM

This fixed the problem for me.
Posted by Ranger Yu on 1/27/2010 at 8:42 AM
I get the same error too and to repair VS doesn't work.
But I got a solution: find a normal system with office 2007 installed (maybe o12 is neccessary, not sure), find out the path:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12

copy all the files and folders to the local same place.
Restart VS, problem resolved.