TFS "TF30063: You are not authorized to access Microsoft-IIS/7.0." Calling "Get Latest Version" by Piggy

as By Design Help for as By Design

ID: 519484
Opened: 12/10/2009 2:33:56 AM

Environment: fresh installation of Team Foundation Server 2010 Beta 2 on a WS2008 ENT SP2 + SQL Server 2008 SP1 Developer (10.0.2531) - RAM 4 GB.

I created a new test Team Project and a related Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 solution (a copy of a VS2008 project converted).
Checked in the code files under the new Team Project source control and everything was OK. The operation has been performed on a test virtual machine with VS 2010 Beta 2 installed side by side with VS 2008 + VS 2005

After checking in I am unable to check-out project files nor to Get Latest Version (or Get Specific Version). I always get an error message for each processed file:

<FileName> + "TF30063: You are not authorized to access Microsoft-IIS/7.0."

Just to exclude communication\authentication errors between the server and the virtual client I tried the Get operations locally on the TFS server, but get the same TF30036 error.

Also tried all workarounds found on the internet but without success.

Except for the interaction with source coutrol everything seems to be ok (tfs web portal, project share point, reporting).
Posted by rtl_airfoil on 5/2/2013 at 8:54 AM
I experienced this issue with VS2010 and vs2012 while running in a virtual machine which is not part of my domain.
It started happening immediately following my changing of my password on the domain. VS had cached my domain credentials locally on the VM and was unaware of the password change. What is interesting is some operations succeeded but others failed. In particular when attempting to get latest on a project, some of the file gets reported the TFS0063 error and some did not. Once i disconnected from the TFS server manually and reconnected with my new domain credentials the problem was resolved.
Posted by OsirisTerje on 12/5/2011 at 5:45 AM
For anyone still experiencing this error - II :

We had a variation of this issue now, the TFS gave Unauthorized on SOME files (TF30063 message as above) , not everyone. The cause was a Checkpoint IPS-1 (Intrusion Prevention System) installed in front of the TFS Application Tier server, and a policy set there where some files accidentially matched signatures the IPS searched for.
Posted by CULE_Developer on 8/9/2011 at 10:49 AM
For anyone still experiencing this error:

To resolve the issue, open up Internet Explorer, go to "Internet Options"... "Connections" tab... "LAN Settings" button, uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connection)."

HTH,
J
Posted by Jo-Nathan on 2/26/2010 at 9:50 AM
I also have the same issue during check-in when it does over VPN at home. Everything work great whe I am in the office. I can get around the issue by checking in smaller chunks of code instead of a larger check-in
Posted by russweb on 1/30/2010 at 5:59 PM
I have hit this 2x tonight.
I am rolling out TFS 2010 for our org (or hope to if it proves a successful proof of concept).
Basic Details:
TFS 2010 Beta 2 on a W2k8 Server.
Normal install. Nothing funny.
Created Project collection and a couple projects.
From on the corporate network, was able to upload and checkin all source code (1.2 gb worth) in about 6 min (very nice)
Tonight from home (over VPN), I needed to repeat that process in another sandbox project to work through build definition testing, etc.
The upload is totally slower (due to VPN I'm sure)....but the problem is that it failed twice in the middle of the checkin with the TF30063.
First one referenced the IIS/7.0 string seen in the title of this thread.
Second attempt was same error number, but this time with some reference to Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0
Of course, entire checkin rolled back each time and I lost 30 min.

Suspecting an issue with some "timeout" in the TFS System for the length of the checkin, i attempted to checkin a smaller subset of the code (40mb). This succeeded w/o issue (but took ~ 20 min).

Does this seem correct? Is there part of the TFS system that times out a checkin handle or thread after x amount of time?
Posted by LarsHandrick on 1/4/2010 at 10:26 AM
So I've solved my problem - I've found this in the event log:

Exception Message: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\Web Services\_tfs_data\5a1792b3-a748-45ef-8d42-9bc17bda9cf2\Proxy

I created the path and applied full rights to IIS_IUSRS on it - the web frontend works instand! With rights I'm not sure, because I've played with some other rights (user, TFS_...WPG group, ...), but IIS_IUSRS was the last change. To fetch code from TFS with VS 2008 works too.

By the way a hint for this was on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/tfssetup/thread/16a79e89-335d-4f28-bfd1-110462b549a2.

Lars
Posted by LarsHandrick on 1/4/2010 at 8:32 AM
Hi.

We have the same or similar problem too. But we don't use any proxy. Our test environment are a domain with 2 users (PDC=Win2k8, Clients=Win7 32 bzw. 64bit). After user 1 had created the project with TFS 2010 client, he could work with this project in VS 2008/TFS2008 client. User 2 would get the project to his local pc - then the TFS30063 appears. On web access there is an "Index was outside the bounds of the array"-Exception. After clearing the TFS-cache there was the TFS30063 error again. With a click on "compare..." at a file, the exception "Index ..." is shows.

Both users are Domain Administrators an TFS-Administrators.

Unfortunately I can't see a solution in this issue.

Thanks,
Lars
Posted by Piggy on 12/30/2009 at 9:48 AM
(submitted last comment too soon...)

Thank you very much for support, and have a great 2010!!!
Alberto
Posted by Piggy on 12/30/2009 at 9:42 AM
Hi Taylor,

Hope you enjoyed your holidays...

I am sending the trace logs of Fiddler to your mail. Since this is the very first time I am using it, if you need some other informations to be traced do not hesitate sending me your directions to capture other logs.

As for the other questions, the TFS is a basic install.
The TFS server OS details are below:

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise (Service Pack 2) English (32-bit)
(with all 'Microsoft Update' released patches)

Note: the server is configured as Domain Controller of my testing Domain (WS2003-WS2008 mode). All the TFS clients are members of the domain and - since is a testing domain - I managed to use always the domain 'Administrator' user to avoid any security issue.

Hardware profile:
RAM 4 GB
CPU 1 Intel Xeon 2.8 Ghz
Posted by Microsoft on 12/30/2009 at 6:58 AM
Hi Alberto,

Can you email me the logs at taylaf@microsoft.com? That would be very useful. Also, do you have any add-ins or custom packages installed on your TFS server or is this just a basic install? Finally, what OS are you running your TFS server on?

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been out for the holidays.

Thanks,
Taylor
Posted by Piggy on 12/19/2009 at 8:27 AM
Hi Taylor,

I completed the test you suggested me in the previous message:
1. Yes, I can view the history (but if try to compare two files the operation fails with the TF30063 error).
2. I verified and VS connection is not made with the Version Control Proxy: in fact the checkbox "Use proxy server for file downloads" is not selected (the textbox below is disabled and empty).
3. For the first time testing I used only administrative accounts (members of Administrators and Domain Admins groups), therefore I believe the privileges should be enough.
4. Tried installing fiddler: I was unable to track the operations from within the Visual Studio IDE, but was able to capture the attempt of downloading files from the project portal (TFS). In this case, instead of the TFS30063 error, I got an "Index was outside the bounds of the array" exception on the web page. (Some other times I got the TFS30063 error).
I saved the trace file, let me know how to make it available for you to inspect.

Alberto
Posted by Microsoft on 12/18/2009 at 11:28 AM
Hi Alberto,

Since we haven't heard back from you I am going to assume this was the solution to your problem. We have seen this same issue happen to others. If you would like to continue using the Version Control proxy that you are using then you will want to make sure your account has permissions to access it.

Also, if this ends up not being your problem, please reactivate this bug.

Thanks,
Taylor
Posted by Microsoft on 12/17/2009 at 6:01 AM
Hi Alberto,

This sounds like it is a Version Control Proxy issue. Can you perform other Version Control operations that are not related to downloading the file? For instance, can you view the history of a file that has been checked in?

In Visual Studio, go to Tools > Options > Source Control > Visual Studio Team Foundation Server. At the top of the pane you should see a checkbox titled "Use proxy server for file downloads". Is that checkboxk marked? What is the value in the text box below it? My guess is that your account does not have enough privileges to access the web server on that machine. This would explain why you are getting error messages from IIS authenticiation and not TFS authorization.

Could you try to disable this checkbox and then try to get a file? Does the download succeed at that point?

If it still doesn't work then I will need you to install fiddler and perform a trace of the web service calls that are occuring when you try to download a file. Let me know if you need directions on how to do that.

Thanks,
Taylor
Posted by Piggy on 12/16/2009 at 2:16 PM
Hi Taylor,

First of all, sorry for delay, but have been out of office.

As for your questions:

1. Yes, I can create, query and modify work items. The only area which is affected by the problem is the Source Control.

2. I created a new team project and repeated exactly the same steps (same project converted, added to source control and check-in) and got the same behaviour.

Let me know if you need more information.

Alberto
Posted by Microsoft on 12/14/2009 at 2:41 PM
Hi Piggy69,

Unfortunately we were unable to reproduce this issue in house. It would be great if you could provide us some more information about what is happening here:

1. For the same team project you are seeing issues with are you able to create and query work items?

2. Are you able to create another team project and observe the same behavior?

With this information we should be able to better determine what exactly is happening.

Thanks,