"Highlighted Reference" Foreground Color in "Fonts & Colors" not working by GONeale83

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 2/14/2010 7:04:26 PM

Hi there,

I use a dark color scheme (white/greens on black) within VS 2010 RC and when I change the "highlighted reference" color settings in options under "fonts & colors" and then click an object or class, the background color is inherited properly according to my setting, but the foreground setting is ignored. It is still the color of my "user types" font and colors value.
Posted by MJH42 on 3/7/2014 at 2:39 PM
I would like to know also.
Posted by Stuart .D on 8/2/2011 at 1:58 AM
Would like to know also...
Posted by Aakash K on 7/13/2011 at 9:20 AM
It's been a while since there was any activity on this bug - I'm wondering if the extension Brittany mentions below was ever developed - if so could you point me to it?

Thanks,
Aakash
Posted by Microsoft on 3/3/2010 at 5:50 PM
Hi GONeale83,

Because we haven't heard from you in the past two weeks, I'll go ahead and resolve this bug as Won't Fix for VS 2010. However, it will remain in our database to be revisited for a future release. We're also continuing to investigate an editor extension to give your desired behavior. Feel free to e-mail me directly (see address in previous comment) if you're interested in trying such an extension when it becomes available.

Thanks again,
Brittany
Posted by Microsoft on 2/18/2010 at 6:55 PM
Hi GONeale83,

Thank you for reporting this issue. The behavior you're seeing for Highlighted Reference foreground color is actually expected. The reasoning is that the background for the reference highlighting is semi-transparent and retains syntax highlighting, similar to selection in VS 2010. Because there is no single foreground color for highlighted references, the option for this doesn't affect text in the editor. It would be better for this foreground color to be disabled, as Selected Text foreground is, but UI is currently in lockdown and we unfortunately cannot change this before VS 2010 RTM.

However, it is possible to write a short editor extension for VS 2010 to give your desired behavior, i.e. have the foreground color for Highlighted Reference take precedence over syntax highlighting. Would you be willing to work with my team, the VS Editor team, via e-mail to test an early version of such an extension? If so, please e-mail me at bbehrens AT microsoft DOT com.

Thanks for trying the Visual Studio 2010 RC and sending your feedback! I hope to hear from you soon.

Brittany Behrens
Program Manager, VS Platform - Editor
Posted by Microsoft on 2/15/2010 at 6:24 PM
Thanks for your feedback.