Missing C/C++ property node in C++ projects when no CPP files are in project by CoolDadTx

as By Design Help for as By Design

Opened: 2/15/2010 11:39:04 AM

If you create an empty C++ project (no source files) and then open the project's property page the C/C++ node is missing. The other nodes (Linker and friends) are there. If you add a .cpp file to the project then the node appears.
Posted by Sreelu1 on 4/6/2010 at 1:35 PM
I get the same error though my c++ project is not empty.

What I was trying to do is get the solution from the SVN and build it. Only one of the project doesnt show the c/c++ related nodes in the property pages. But when I create a project in the solution, then it shows up. I think this is a bug.

But if anyone knows about how to solve it, let me know.

Thanks,
Posted by CoolDadTx on 2/16/2010 at 9:35 AM
That doesn't make a lot of sense then. I have an option to set VC++ Directories but no C++ files. I have an option to set Linker options but you can't link anything if you have no source files (and linking is C++ specific). I have options to set Manifest, XML Doc and Browsing information but, again, no source to use them against. Without a source file none of these tools are required (OK maybe just the linker). If you have no source then wouldn't you have only a couple of nodes (Build Events, Custom Build Step and General come to mind)?

It also means that I can't create an empty project (which is a valid choice in the wizard), set the C++ project settings and then start adding files. I'd do this under a couple of different scenarios. I teach C++ programming part-time. My students are taught to create an empty project because they get overwhelmed with the default project generated files otherwise. But sometimes the default C++ settings aren't good enough so they have to change them. Right now they have to add their source file first and then go modify their project settings.

I understand the basic reasoning but I don't think it is the right reason in this particular case.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/16/2010 at 9:19 AM
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this feedback. This issue is by design. VS only show property pages for tools that are required to compile a given project. So for example, if you do not have any C/C++ files, the C/C++ compiler tab will not be listed in the property pages frame.

Thanks,
Amit Mohindra
Visual C++ Team
Posted by Microsoft on 2/15/2010 at 9:28 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/15/2010 at 7:13 PM