Can't install Visual Studio 2010 RC; Install() expects the setup file for VC 9.0 Runtime (x86), but the file failed verification by Magnus Johansson

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 2/26/2010 5:58:41 AM

I am trying to install the Visual Studio 2010 RC Ultimate on a Windows XP SP3 PC.
I get this error message:
VC 9.0 Runtime (x86): [2] CMsiComponent::Install() expects the setup file for VC 9.0 Runtime (x86), but the file failed verification.
setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147467259.

I have tried the following:
Both with verified checksums using fciv.exe. Tried 2 different virtual drive utilities, the MS "VCdControlTool.exe" and Elaborate Bytes Virtual Drive, same result: Install fails.
Burned the .iso to DVD. Install fails.
Disabled the antivirus, it still fails.

Re-installed Windows XP Pro w.SP3*.
Same result, installation fails.

In every case Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and SQL Server 2008 Express was installed before hand.

* Yes, this was a complete wipe, however because it's a corporate PC, many things came pre-installed after the re-installation, like MS Office 2003, WinZip, Citrix Client, WebEx, X1 Desktop search, Adobe Reader etc.

Posted by spenopolis on 6/2/2010 at 3:24 PM
I am having the same trouble installing vc90 on Windows 7. I've removed all previous instances of VS. I've attempted to run the cmd line install of VC90SP! from VS2010 folder as listed in this forum. I get the same error over and over about cannot install vc90. Going on day 5 of trying to install.
Posted by CesarW on 4/20/2010 at 12:16 PM
I have the same problem but with Visual Studio RTM on Windows 7.

I didn't have any problems with RC.

Since I knew it I will have some problems with installation I formated hard drive.

But how I can receive errors.I don't get it. Since my friend could install VS2010RTM with the same ISO image.

I tried installing this on W7x32 and W7x64 but I have the same problem.
Posted by kowd on 4/19/2010 at 11:26 AM
This is happening for me too.

I tried to follow Magnus' workaround but then I get this error when I run the install command:

------------------------------
[Window Title]
Windows Installer

[Main Instruction]
This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

[OK]
----------------------------------

I have downloaded this VS image from the Microsoft AA twice.
Posted by Steven Brown259 on 4/17/2010 at 1:26 PM
I am having the exact same problem as Magnus. I tried to follow the instructions in the workaround, but I don't think I am doing it properly. I downloaded the two files from the links provided. I ran the windows installer file, and it seemed to install sucessfuly. Then I tried again to install from the Visual Studio DVD. My PC is a Compaq Presario CQ60 Windows 7 x86.
Please give the instructions again in a more detailed step by step process. (Ex. Click start, click run, type ...)
Thank you.
Posted by James Hewett on 3/26/2010 at 5:08 AM
I am having a similar problem.
I run the Visual Studio 2010 Premium installer and after accepting the EULA and clicking the 'Install' button, the installation screen just dissapears and nothing happens.

If i try a custom install and then try to uncheck different components the installation wizard just closes? When i then try to open it back up via the dvd i get a setup.exe dialog warning:
'The windows service is unavailable. Another application may be running setup. Finish any installations in progress, restart your computer, and then re-run setup'

I have tried the work around (installing VC manually) and the installation screen notes that it is present on my machine. However it does exactly the same thing again i.e. doesn't install VS2010, failing silently again?

Note: It still says in needs to install the VC 10.0 Runtime (x86) as well as Microsoft Application Error Reporting

Any ideas on how to overcome this?

My machine is a Windows XP Professional SP3 machine
Posted by Microsoft on 3/12/2010 at 10:28 AM
Sorry about pointing you to download the package. You are correct that location has an older version.

Glad to hear that installing VC manually resolved the issue. We will continue internal investigation to identify why the VC package validation fails on certain machines.

Sincerely,
Tim.

Posted by Magnus Johansson on 3/10/2010 at 2:29 AM
Tim,

the VS installer tried to install the VC Runtime because the link you provided was an older version.
The link points to v9.0.30729.4148, and the VS 2010 RC contains v9.0.30729.4418.
So even when I tried to install the VC Runtime separately, the VS Installer tried to installer a later version.

However, I did find a workaround.
The VC Runtime on the .iso is located at <drive:>\WCU\VC90SP1
So here's what i did:
1. Opened a command prompt and changed directory to d:\WCU\VC90SP1
2. Installed the VC Runtime manually by entering the command you provided:
msiexec /i vc_red.msi USING_EXUIH=1
3. Re-ran the VS2010 installer, which now skips the VC Runtime install step and the installation succeeds.

So I now managed to install VS2010 RC on this Windows XP SP3 box.

Thanks.

Regards,
Magnus
Posted by Microsoft on 3/9/2010 at 3:30 PM
Magnus,
Have you tried to install VC9.0 using the steps I provided? If you installed the public version from elsewhere, it might be an older build, so VS would try to install the later version again.

Tim.
Posted by pontus_ivarsson on 3/9/2010 at 8:45 AM
Iam having the exact same problem.
Posted by Magnus Johansson on 3/9/2010 at 12:57 AM
Hi Tim.

"- Software/method used to mount the image on the machine"
I have tried both Microsoft's "VCDControlTool" and Elaborate Bytes/Slysoft Virtual CloneDrive.
Both fails.

"- Have you downloaded single file ISO or the 4-part reassembling ISO image?"
I have tried both.
1. Tried the Ultimate .iso from MSDN -> Fail
2. Tried the Ultimate 4 part from the public site -> Fail
3. Tried the Professional .iso from the public site -> Fail
4. Downloaded the MSDN .iso on a separate Win7 PC and burned a DVD, mounted the DVD on this XP system -> Fail

"- Can you try download and install VC 9.0 Runtime manually first then attempt to run Visual Studio setup again?"
I have now tried that... -> Fail
The VS 2010 installer still tried to install the VC 90 Runtime.

Regards,
Magnus
Posted by Microsoft on 3/8/2010 at 3:56 AM
Magnus,
Could you please share the following information with us?
- Software/method used to mount the image on the machine
- Have you downloaded single file ISO or the 4-part reassembling ISO image?

You can download VC 9.0 Runtime 2-part setup package manually from:
then execute the following command to install it from the folder where you saved both files:
msiexec /i vc_red.msi USING_EXUIH=1
Tim.
Posted by Magnus Johansson on 3/5/2010 at 8:42 AM
Downloaded the Ultimate .ISO, fciv says:
                MD5                             SHA-1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
80f9887a80cc3fd8ff09d29ce5a33c9e 8131cfaa9c48a6396b2717d06ab2df8b4b8fa734 en_visual_studio_2010_ultimate_rc_x86_dvd_489867.iso

Aa a test, I downloaded the Premium edition instead. but this fails with the exact same error.
fciv says:
                MD5                             SHA-1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
4269d979333cdc37bf88235093983e01 c92286cbf16026109ffde08827c4043cf21dc883 vs2010prem_rc1.iso

As far as I can tell, the checksums are ok, but still I get this error.
Posted by Magnus Johansson on 3/3/2010 at 12:08 PM
Hi Tim.

Thanks for your response. However, if You did read my original report, you may have seen this statement:
"Downloaded the .iso from 2 different places, the public one and the MSDN Subscription one.
Both with verified checksums using fciv.exe."

/M
Posted by Microsoft on 3/3/2010 at 11:23 AM
Magnus,
Thank you for reporting the issue. There were a few reports with the same error, that were caused by corrupted ISO image. Please delete existing image and re-download the Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate RC ISO from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=457bab91-5eb2-4b36-b0f4-d6f34683c62a&displaylang=en.

Please follow the Instructions section on the download page and verify the hash of downloaded ISO image.

Tim (Visual Studio Setup team).
Posted by Microsoft on 3/2/2010 at 9:03 PM
Thank you for your feedback, We are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com)
Posted by djaighkub on 3/18/2011 at 11:17 PM
Use a different ISO mounting program.

On my XP laptop, Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.4.0 loaded it and installed it fine.
On my Windows 7 desktop, the same program kept giving me file verification errors (whether extracted or installed from mounted image), but I mounted it with PowerISO 4.2 and it installed fine.
Posted by Steven Brown259 on 4/20/2010 at 2:09 PM
This fixed all my problems!
1) Download and install the trial version at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26bae65f-b0df-4081-ae6e-1d828993d4d0&displaylang=en
2) Insert your old disc that you had troubles with
3) Click "Activate" to input your product key
Posted by Steven Brown259 on 4/20/2010 at 12:28 PM
Install Visual Web Developer Express to solve any problems with VC 10.0
Download at http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/
Now I have problems with TFS Object model x86, and I haven't figured out how to fix that problem yet.
Posted by Steven Brown259 on 4/20/2010 at 11:36 AM
Install Visual C# 2010 Express from http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/
This will install VC 9.0 Runtime
Then install Visual Studio 2010 Professional.
Installation will skip VC 9.0 Runtime (the problem) since it is already installed.

If your problem is only with VC 9.0 Runtime, this will fix the problem; however, I am also having troubles with VC 10.0 runtime.
Posted by Magnus Johansson on 3/10/2010 at 2:30 AM