Build failed but No errors reported... by GearWorld

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 3/7/2010 4:23:06 AM

If you have errors in your code and you right click on the project and do build,
you have a build failed but no errors reported.
Posted by Chuck England - MSFT on 9/1/2011 at 9:44 AM
This bug was resolved quite some time ago. Once Connect issues are closed, they no longer appear on our radar.

As a result, if you are having an issue, please file a new connect bug. We can then inspect the specific issue you are having.

For all bugs, we must have a repro in order to understand what is broken. This can be in the form of a sample that on a straight RTM build demonstrates the issue, in the case of a crash or a hang a dump file is a good start, or with locking issues, a performance monitor trace of the issue caught in action.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Chuck England
VSPro PM
Posted by Robb Schiefer on 6/7/2011 at 8:46 AM
I have the same issue as Omnifone. My MSBuild.exe is also 0 bytes.
Posted by Omnifone on 5/30/2011 at 4:57 AM
MSBuild in Framework\v4..... is 0 bytes in length, where has MSBuild gone?
Posted by Omnifone on 5/30/2011 at 3:31 AM
Also noted that if you drop to the command line and try msbulid a dialog pops up that
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v4.0.30319\MsBuild.exe is not a valid Win32 Application"
and
"access denied" is returned to command prompt
Posted by Omnifone on 5/30/2011 at 3:14 AM
This now happens to me:
I have a project under source control (SVN) so can easily migrate it between machines.
On 2 Windows 7 machines I do not get this problem; however on a Windows XP machine I do.
The strange thing about this is that the XP machine in which the project fails is a machine that has been happily doing builds of exactly the same project for months. Not only does the project under question fail to build but also any other project that has originally compiled on the same PC.
The path length of the project is only 76 characters long.

Using the following Visual Studio:

Microsoft Visual C# 2010 01021-532-2002102-70546
Microsoft Visual C# 2010

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 01021-532-2002102-70546
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010

Microsoft Visual F# 2010 01021-532-2002102-70546
Microsoft Visual F# 2010

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Code Analysis Spell Checker 01021-532-2002102-70546
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Code Analysis Spell Checker

Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer 01021-532-2002102-70546
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01021-532-2002102-70546
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010

AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio 2.1.10019.14
AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio 2.1.10019.14
* Ankh.Package 2.1.10019.14
* Subversion 1.6.15 via SharpSvn 1.6015.1625.10417

SharpSvn is linked to: Apr 1.4.2, Apr-util 1.3.10, Neon 0.29.5, OpenSSL 1.0.0c 2 Dec 2010, serf 0.7.0, SQLite 3.7.3, Subversion 1.6.15-SharpSvn-tag-1.6.15@1041744, ZLib 1.2.5
SharpSvn is dynamically linked to: Cyrus Sasl 2.1.23
SharpSvn is optionally linked to: Berkeley DB 4.4.20, SharpPlink 1.6015.1625.10417

Coded UI Test Editor 1.0
Enable editing of a UITest (*.uitest) file

Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Premium - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB983509) KB983509
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Premium - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983509.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools

PowerCommands for Visual Studio 2010 1.0
A set of power commands for Visual Studio 2010
Posted by HughB on 1/5/2011 at 7:07 AM
I had the same problem this morning. VS 2010 gave not errors just that it failed to build.
Posted by MartinBriley on 11/15/2010 at 7:23 PM
Same thing happening here. I switched the build output's verbosity to the max ("diagnostic"), but there's no information other than BUILD FAILED.

This is a huge problem.
Posted by profknox on 11/3/2010 at 6:22 AM
Hi folks,

i run into the same problem. Sometimes one of my projects wonn't build. Got zero erros in list but 'build failed'.

I activated the output-window [Ctrl-W,Q or view output]. After a newly build there was an error which told me a problem to access the MyProject.log in the .\Debug folder. This happened because i ran the last good MyProject.exe on another machine. On that machine i mapped the .\Debug folder and the .exe and (i assume) the .log were locked.

I assume, this was my very specific problem. But, try the output window, probably it will give you a good idea what is wrong with your build.

So, there was no error in code (a newly build after unlocking the .log, and of course stopping the exe on the other machine gave a good result).

- waiting for your positive result -
manfred
Posted by cpradio on 11/2/2010 at 11:29 AM
I am able to reproduce this fairly frequently, but there isn't a set of specific steps that make it occur, it just randomly occurs. The issue I am experiencing has NOTHING to do with the length of my WorkSpace name. Please point me to any logging tools/parameters I can run within VS 2010 to give you any information that may lead to this being corrected.

Thanks,
Matt
Posted by Mpumelelo Professor Khuzwayo on 10/1/2010 at 6:13 AM
"If you do, then change your project working folder so that the path is less then 59 characters... that solved the problem for me."

I meant 259 not 59.
Posted by Mpumelelo Professor Khuzwayo on 10/1/2010 at 6:12 AM
I had he same and managed to get it sorted out, here is the solution:
Solution: Go to the output windows, from the drop down next to "Show output from" select Source Control. Then Check if you don't have a message like this "TF205022: The following path contains more than the allowed 259 characters: "Your project path"

Posted by Conaire Creaney on 9/2/2010 at 5:16 AM
I had this problem and it was due to the path to my solution file being greater than 99 characters e.g. "C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\MvcProjects\MyApp12345"

when i made the path to mu solution shorter it was back working fine.
Posted by YismanOl on 7/8/2010 at 4:44 AM
im having the same problem in vs 2010
i get build failed but the error list is balnk. 0 errors
Posted by Microsoft on 4/5/2010 at 1:57 PM
Marc,

I am unable to reproduce this based on the information we have. Unfortunatley, with no way to reproduce the issue, there is no way for a developer to know where to even begin to look. This could be something specific to XAML, or with the Error List, or with the build system, the C# compiler, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to produce the video. Unfortunatley, this just shows what you have already told us. In order to take action on the bug, we would need to be able to reproduce this so that a developer can put it under the debugger. Without that, there is no way to know exactly what is going on.

I searched the internal database and found that there was a similar issue where creating a particular error in C# was not making it into the Error List window. This was resolved as fixed for RTM.

Thanks,

Chuck England
Visual Studio Platform
Program Manager - MSBuild
Posted by GearWorld on 3/28/2010 at 2:55 PM
Sorry to be late and sorry but this is the only thing I can give you as loading a new project doesn't give this. It seems particular to a situation I'm unaware since yout VS2010 is a very huge and complex tool.

This will work only between 6:00am and 8:pm EST (Montreal)
Thank you and good luck. VS 2010 is a great product.
Posted by GearWorld on 3/12/2010 at 3:12 AM
All right Chuck I will.

Meanwhile, you could check the code that report errors in case you would be able to see an anomaly there. This would be a good start.

Good luck to us !
Posted by Microsoft on 3/11/2010 at 9:37 PM
Marc,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunatley without a repro, there is no way for us to know what the issue is, or how to fix it. Because of this, I am going to go ahead and close this issue as "No Repro".

However, if you find a way that you can demonstrate to repro this, feel free to re-activate and add the details and we will be glad to take a look.

If you would like to discuss this further offline, please feel free to email at the address below in my signature.

Thanks,

Chuck England
chuckeng@microsoft.com
Visual Studio Platform
Program Manager - MSBuild
Posted by GearWorld on 3/8/2010 at 3:39 AM
You can close this issue right now since I will certainly not be able to give you any demo.
Hope this will never occur to anybody else in the future.
Posted by GearWorld on 3/8/2010 at 3:34 AM
However it's probably just in my project that this is occuring and since I can't give you this project, you will never be able to fix this. So I suggest you to make sure that you list any errors for any particular case when we build because there's really a bug there.
Posted by GearWorld on 3/8/2010 at 3:23 AM
Sorry to tell you that but it's easily reproductible.

Just add errors in your code. then close the code pane and right click the project in the solution explorer and do BUILD it'll report a build failed but no errors listed because the file which have errors isn't opened.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/7/2010 at 8:49 PM
Thanks for reporting this issue. In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Please give us a demo project to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 3 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by GearWorld on 3/7/2010 at 4:34 AM
Here's a more simple way to test this.

Just close all code file opened. go in the Solution Explorer and right click on a fauly project and build it.
You'll get the build failed but no errors reported. I thing even tought the code isn't opened that it should list the errors anyway and when you click on one error, it opens the file that have the error.
Posted by gGopikrishna on 6/27/2011 at 1:42 AM
A lengthy code path would return a failed build without listing the error. Instead, choose to locate your source code with lesser folders to traverse. This would overcome the issue.
Posted by Robb Schiefer on 6/7/2011 at 9:00 AM
I ended up replacing my msbuild file with a copy from another computer. Make sure you get the versions correct (32/64 bit, .net version).
Posted by Brheal on 2/12/2011 at 1:16 PM
This just started happening to one of MVC 3 projects. I just closed VS 2010 and then opened the solution back up and now it is reporting the error.
I started getting the error after adding a reference to another project. That new project needed a dll that wasn't pulled into my MVC 3 project. So the error ended up being :
"The type or namespace name '<reference dll name here>' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"
Posted by HughB on 1/5/2011 at 7:16 AM
The project was building in .Net 2 so I switched to .Net 3.5 and began getting an error. The error was caused by a line of code that made no sense and was not in my last saved revision. I do not know where it came from. I removed the non-sense code and it built fine. I switched back to .Net 2 as that was a requirement for my project and it again built fine.
Posted by profknox on 11/3/2010 at 6:28 AM
Hi folks,

please take a look on my specific solution (commented Nov 03, 2010).

Possibly only one of a couple of different problems, but a solution for my problem.

To Microsoft:

it would be helpfull, if there is an underlaying problem (e.g. the problem i mentioned), when the ouput window pops up automatically. Some less experienced users don't have the idea to look there.

manfred