Cannot suppress "No Source Available" window by Hi I'm JDK

as Postponed Help for as Postponed

Opened: 4/19/2010 6:46:20 PM

Clearing "Options >> Debugging >> General >> Enable address-level debugging >> Show disassembly is source is not available" should have the effect of not showing the "No Source Available" window when it should otherwise appear.

This is a usability issue to the point of being a "blocking issue" because I have a project type that debugs class libraries with a precompiled harness - in 2008, there is no such window and debugging can occur normally, but in 2010, users must dismiss this window each time the precompiled harness is invoked. If a currently non-existing setting is required to accommodate this scenario, so be it, but it's still a bug.
Posted by flöle on 5/24/2012 at 12:43 AM
Please disable this window. It is so horribly annoying and useless.
Posted by Keith_connect on 9/16/2010 at 8:27 AM
Thanks for the docking suggestion. It makes the issue a lot less irritating. I can confirm that the "Just My Code" does nothing to solve my situation. In particular mine seems to be caused by the use of Castle.DynamicProxy.

I'm support an option to remove this annoying popup.
Posted by declanmcd on 8/27/2010 at 2:53 AM
This is probably the most annoying bug in 2010!

@directdot that is a great interim solution. It's not nearly as obtrusive stuck as a small window in the bottom right hand corner, thanks
Posted by directdot on 8/25/2010 at 11:29 AM
I know it is annoying, but what I have done is drag this window by clicking its TAB and dock it to the bottom Pane along with Error List, Output etc..

This way every time you need to step into the execution of the application you will still have your code visible. And the "No Source Available" window will be displayed at the bottom of your screen.

I am not sure if this could be considered a workaround since the window will still be displayed but in a different part of the screen
Posted by Lachlan01 on 8/22/2010 at 4:18 PM
It is infuriating every time you pause a program to change a bit of code (Edit & Continue) that this F%^&%&^g tab pops up to inform you of something you already know - you then have to hunt for the tab you had open. "Just My Code" is enabled - no difference.

PLEASE provide an option to disable this in future, it is maddening. OR if possible add an option to the Productivity Power Tools extension.

Never mind the fact that Edit & Continue is becoming useless now that we are using LINQ everywhere, which isn't supported by E&C :(

Posted by PAULL on 7/3/2010 at 2:32 AM
Even if you are in a web application, and no code is executing at the moment (e.g. you just want to break to edit some code behind a web page before refreshing that web page), the "No Source Available" windows comes up. Very annoying and unnecessary.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/1/2010 at 1:32 PM
Hello,

This "No Source Available" tab was added to Visual Studio 2010 to support the IntelliTrace feature in Visual Studio Ultimate. In previous versions the user was notified via a dialogue box that no source was available for the current location, and their code was left as the active editor tab.

We apologize that this is annoying in your scenarios, and will investigate solutions for future versions of Visual Studio. As was already noted in previous comments, the apperance of this tab indicates that you are executing in a context for which you do not currently have source code. The quickest way back into your code is to set a breakpoint on the next line of your code that is set to execute and press "F5" to allow the application to run until it is once again executing code for which you have source.

This behavior can be prevented in managed code by enabling "Tools -> Options -> Debugging | Enable Just My Code". Unfortunately, due to this differences between managed and native code, there is no Just My Code equivalent for native code.

Best Regards,
Visual Studio Debugger
Posted by Sivilized on 5/18/2010 at 8:04 AM
It looks like this is related to the call stack when you hit "break all". If you are in the middle of a block of code, Visual Studio knows where it is in your code. But if you're idle, waiting for some event for example, the call stack shows [external code]. Since it doesn't have any source code for that, it brings up the "no source available" tab. It would need to disable that tab from appearing if the call stack only contains external code. I didn't see any other setting that would do that.
Posted by DanFoster on 5/12/2010 at 7:57 AM
Agreed. This is particularly annoying.
Posted by Mystcreater on 4/24/2010 at 6:37 AM
I have the same bug and I have roll back to version 2008 because after a couple of hours working with it, I consider this bug to be totally innaceptable because I enter in break months dozens of times each days and I must go back and forth with the keyboard and the mouse to remake focus of the texteditor instead of the "No source available" pane.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/20/2010 at 7:43 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue.
We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Mayerwin on 11/16/2010 at 6:56 PM
Hello world,

I have just released a Visual Studio 2010 extension that fixes this problematic behaviour. Check it out here:
or on my website:

I still hope a better configuration option will be available in the next release of Visual Studio, but at least in the mean time this makes for a good enough workaround!

Cheers,

Erwin
Posted by drew.cerny on 9/21/2010 at 12:29 PM
I have been suffering through this issue for several months now, but recently discovered a work around.

The next time you pause execution and this window pops up Follow these steps:
1. Grab the title tab of the window and drag it off the visual studio interface - now it has become a popup
2. Dock that window on the bottom of the Visual Studio workspace by dragging the title tab toward the bottom of the interface
3. Click the pin on the right of the docked window to unpin it and it will slide away.

Now this annoying popup is just a simple slide up notification that goes away as soon as you click on your edit window.