Native frames missing from some mixed call stacks - C++ by small_mountain_0705

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 4/27/2010 7:12:19 PM

In a mixed-mode (native/managed) C++ project that targets .NET 4.0, if you hit a breakpoint in managed code and look at the call stack, in certain scenarios, some or all of the native frames that should appear in the call stack are missing. It *appears* to have something to do with passing native parameters to managed functions. This is a regression from VS 2008/.NET 2.0/.NET 3.0/.NET 3.5.
Posted by jippers on 9/13/2010 at 10:26 AM
I'm unable to make a sample project to reproduce this problem, but in may actual project I am still seeing this issue with mixed call stacks. Is there a way to have MSFT connect with me remotely and see the call stacks?
Posted by Microsoft on 9/3/2010 at 4:59 PM
The hotfix provided does fix the original issue that was reported by "small_mountain" and at this time there are no other outstanding issues regarding to managed/native call stacks that we know of.

Could you please attach a zipped project file to this feedback through our site that can help us with the unresolved issue for your case?
Posted by jgeras on 8/20/2010 at 5:11 PM
I found the hotfix for this issue here: http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2151757

... however it doesn't seem to fix the issue for me in all cases. Are there still known issues with the hotfix?
Posted by Microsoft on 8/13/2010 at 4:08 PM

Thanks,
~Pete Steijn
Windows C++ SDET
Posted by gkwei on 8/13/2010 at 1:52 PM
I also am encountering this problem. Is there a link to the hotfix request?

Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/21/2010 at 3:11 PM
We have been working on issuing a hotfix for this problem. Since you are the customer for the hotfix contact, we will send you a private very soon ..

Thanks again for the report. I will close this connect issue at our end because we both can track the issue with the hotfix request.
Posted by jschroedl on 5/10/2010 at 6:54 AM
Any news on this? It's getting quite painful to debug our C++/CLI application?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/3/2010 at 2:57 AM
Thanks for your feedback. We were able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by small_mountain_0705 on 4/30/2010 at 1:28 PM
I have uploaded a ZIP file with a VS 2010 solution that reproduces the problem. The instructions are in the ReadMe.txt file included in the solution directory.

Eric
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2010 at 7:06 PM
We will wait for you 7 days.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by small_mountain_0705 on 4/29/2010 at 5:02 PM
I can't send our whole project, so I'm working on a small repro. I can tell you that our simple attempts at a repro have not shown the problem, so I can see why you had trouble reproducing it. I'm working to make it match our full project in all the relevant ways to trigger the bug. So it is clearly not as widespread as the bug title would make you think. It may take a few days.

Eric
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2010 at 2:49 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please attach a zipped project file to this feedback through our site to help us reproduce the issue?

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by small_mountain_0705 on 4/28/2010 at 2:16 AM
I updated the bug to include that you will need for the mixed mode project to target .NET 4.0 to see the problem.

Eric