Selected File is Not a Valid Solution by MWezka

as External Help for as External

Opened: 5/11/2010 6:14:38 AM

I have an application converted form VS-2008 to VS-2010 on an XP Plaform. Runs fine. Backed Up the application, Upgraded PC to Vista, and reloaded VS-2010. When I start up VS-2010 and then try to Open the Solution under that Vista environment, I get the error "The selected file is not a valid soltuion File". It simply does not recognized the project soltion that was developed under XP as a VS-2010 project in the Vista World. This is a bug or I am stuck in the XP world.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/20/2010 at 10:19 AM
OK, I guess all I can you can do is re-create the solution. I can't help with your backup experience (although I do sympathize!)

Regards
Dan
Posted by MWezka on 5/20/2010 at 8:31 AM
Dan, I cannot open the project from my backup at all... I was having problems with Windows (esp. Explorer) which is what caused me to rebuild my my machine in the first place. Prior to rebuilding, the project was saved and copied as part of my normal backup procedure. Those files must have been totally screwed up during those backup processes. After going back to XP, from VISTA Rebuild, the file would not open on that platform either. Looks like my Windows Explorer hosed me by creating the backup correctly and that file(s) is what I was trying to use. Did not lose much work.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/19/2010 at 1:51 PM
Hello MWezka,
We got the .sln and .csproj and they seem to be completely garbled - like a binary file. Is that what they look like to you when you open them in Notepad? If not, please zip them up again, rename the extension, and send them to msbuild<at>microsoft.com referencing bug 900594.

If that *is* what they look like to you, then I cannot explain how they became garbled - since you mentioned it worked on VS2010 on XP, VS is not converting it. All I can suggest is that you re-create it using VS2010.

Sorry
Dan
Posted by Microsoft on 5/19/2010 at 12:16 AM
Thank you for reporting this issue.
We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by MWezka on 5/17/2010 at 4:48 AM
This is the third time I have added the file to the Problem as requested using panels attach file feature. Third time panel indicates files "Successfully added." May the feature is not working. Please advise alternate means to get the files to you. Thank you.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/17/2010 at 1:02 AM
Hello,

Sorry for bothering. Is there any update?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 5/13/2010 at 6:22 PM
Hi MWezka,

We don't find your attachment in our database. Could you please re-upload it ?

Posted by MWezka on 5/13/2010 at 4:16 AM
Added the .sln and .csproj files as requested. Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/12/2010 at 12:20 AM
Thank you for reporting this issue.
Could you please attach a project to help us investigate this issue ?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/11/2010 at 5:03 PM