Problems with cut and paste by Russell de Grove

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 5/11/2010 8:08:54 AM

I have a great deal of trouble using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy and paste in VS 2010. Sometimes it works but much more frequently fails. Even selecting "Copy" from the edit menu sometimes fails.
Posted by jp2code on 4/2/2014 at 6:59 AM
I'd like to post a video example of this happening.

It was happening yesterday, so I completely shut down my PC when I left work last night, so this morning was a nice, fresh Windows 7 boot.

I am not working across Remote Desktop. Visual Studio 2010 (with SP1) has been working fine for me for a long time. This just started yesterday when I changed my Active Directory password. I've changed passwords before with no issues, so I don't understand what would have caused this to create an issue this time.

The only Plug-In I have for VS2010 is PHP Tools, but it has been installed and running for about 6 months.

Posted by taunonn on 4/2/2012 at 2:50 AM
This is still happening. I'm using Visual Studio via Remote Desktop. Copy-Paste stops working intermittently.

In notepad it works via Remote Desktop, only VS doesn't.
Posted by Estuardo on 10/30/2011 at 2:15 PM
Hello all!
Why is this bug marked as fixed? This is not. It keeps happening even after installing sp1. VS hangs when trying to copy/cut paste from any other app to VS. 15 months goes by and still waiting… This is really disappointing
Posted by LordDelacroix on 9/30/2011 at 8:26 AM
Nothing and I do mean nothing I have tried fixes this issue. It continues to be a MAJOR problem and I've just plain had it. I'm moving to a more Professional Tool

I paid a great deal of money for this product and to NOT have what everyone considers just plain basic functionality is just plain unbelievable.
Posted by Amberale on 5/23/2011 at 2:48 PM
Hi, I get this problem too. It is terrible! I have some clues to add to the discussion.

First, I found another forum having the problem with Eclipse, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=103818.

Second, I have the problem from my work 64 bit Vista box to the remote dev server Windows Server Enterprise Service Pack 2 (64-bit), which is a VM virtual instance, through company network. However, I do not have the problem when working from home using VPN from Windows 7 64-bit with all OS updates.

Also, I was having the problem with my previous remote system with Windows Server 2003 SP 2 64 bit, but it was not near as bad as it is now. Today after reading posts on this, I tried installing Productivity Power Tools which didn't help. Then I tried turning off the HTML clipboard option which also didn't help. Neither opening/closing RD or restarting the remote server doesn't help. One of my collegues has the problem with a similar configuration but not as bad as I do.

Based on this I'm not sure my problem is Visual Studio (using 2010 Ultimate 10.0.30319).

Hope this helps.
Posted by TheLostLeaf on 5/18/2011 at 3:27 PM
One Fix.
I had this bug intermittently with no explanation. Then I realized it only occurs when I have a remote desktop connection open.
When I closed the connection the cut and paste worked perfect again.

Win 7 Ultimate– x64 – VS 2010 v10.0.30319.1 Dual Monitor
Posted by BigJoe714b on 3/28/2011 at 7:12 AM
Yes, I did have Productivity Power Tools installed. I uninstalled it and now copy paste seems to be working fine!

The strange thing is, I have vs2010 installed on my home machine with Productivity Power Tools and I have never had a problem with copy paste there.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/21/2011 at 10:22 AM
@BigJoe714b: Do you have any extensions installed, especially the Productivity Power Tools? Does disabling or uninstalling them solve the problem?
Posted by BigJoe714b on 3/21/2011 at 8:25 AM
This issue was not resolved in SP1. I just installed SP1 and it is still happening.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/16/2011 at 12:07 PM
@NorthIdahoTed: The problem with the text box control is almost certainly unrelated; the code paths for commands within the text/code editor and within a text box control are almost completely independent. Could you file a new Connect bug if you haven't already? Thanks.

@wekempf: Do you have any extensions installed, especially the Productivity Power Tools? The HTML Copy extension in the power tools overrides the default copy/paste code and causes this bug to persist even after installing the SP1 Beta. We've fixed this for the next release of the power tools, but in the meantime, you can solve the problem (and keep other extensions enabled) by going to Tools->Options->Productivity Power Tools and turning off just the HTML Copy extension. If you do NOT have extensions installed, please let us know and we'll take a closer look. Thanks!

- Brittany
Posted by wekempf on 2/16/2011 at 9:23 AM
I've got SP1 beta installed, and the issue is certainly not fixed. It's a sporadic issue, but once it hits it's very repeatable.
Posted by NorthIdahoTed on 1/13/2011 at 12:14 PM
Installing SP1 beta fixed the problem for me within the dev envionment (text editor). But, it didn't correct the issue of not being able to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V within the run-time environment (text box control).

Although using the menu to copy and paste seems to work in both environments.

Just can't deliver an app with this weird bug.

Ted
Posted by Microsoft on 1/6/2011 at 4:56 PM
@Randy: I just replied to your comment on a duplicate of this bug (Connect ID 533726). Let's use that thread going forward; no need to double-track.

Thanks!
Brittany
Posted by Randy12346 on 1/6/2011 at 4:51 PM
Brittany,

I installed sp1 and that did not fix the issue for me. I think it actually made it worse in my case. Is there another hotfix i can try?

Randy
Posted by Microsoft on 12/13/2010 at 7:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm writing to let you know that this cut/copy/paste bug is fixed in the Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 Beta, which was just released last week, so we're resolving this bug as Fixed. We would encourage you all to download the SP1 Beta from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=207130, which should eliminate the sporadic copy/paste failures you're experiencing. If you still see issues after installing VS 2010 SP1, please file a *new* Connect bug so that we can investigate separately.

- Brittany
Posted by AllanBenson2 on 12/8/2010 at 1:10 AM
VS2010 SP1 beta is out now, is a fix for this included?
Posted by stevencohn on 11/4/2010 at 9:20 AM
I can offer this. This just started happening today. I found myself in this situation using my workstation and so rebooted. The first thing I did then was bring up VS2010 and everything worked fine. I then started Remote Desktop from my workstation to my laptop - which I've been doing every day for years. Immediately Ctrl-V stopped working, or sporadically as suggested. I closed the RD session and magically Ctrl-V started working again. Curiously, reconnecting RD to my laptop didn't interrupt it again - it's still working OK. So, it must be a conflict with RDP as MS has postulated below... Hopefully this little exercise will help others avoid it until they fix it whenever VS2012 comes out some time in 2014...
Posted by stevencohn on 11/4/2010 at 8:46 AM
I too am experiencing this problem. How many votes do you need to realize this is a real problem! I'll ask my mom and dad and cousins and nieces and nephews to register and vote! It need to be fixed. I wish I had some more evidence to offer than what's already in this thread and various forums around the net. No matter what you do, you cannot get Ctrl-C (or Ctrl-Ins) and Cltr-V (or Shift-Ins) to do what they're supposed to do.
Posted by DougZuck on 11/3/2010 at 10:38 AM
I have Win 7 x64 Pro and Visual C# 2010 Express, and I constantly have cut / copy / paste problems. In my situation I'm not using remote desktop at all. This is simply an issue on my workstation, and it's driving me insane. Really slows down development.
Posted by Matt Pxxyy on 10/21/2010 at 7:22 AM
We are now downgrading all our projects back to Visual Studio 2008 where copy/paste works. It is takes some time and is really anoying but it is better than to live without copy/paste. If you can't fix this bug then please say so so everyone can just skip VS2010 and stick with VS2008.
Posted by PAULL on 10/14/2010 at 5:50 AM
I've added a thread to MSDN forums in an attempt to find another way into the people who should be listening.

Please feel free to add your thoughts on there.

I have also escalated this through our MS gold account manager. No response yet but I only submitted it two days ago ! Might have to wait another 5 months for that one !!
Posted by Blackthorn Advisory Group on 10/12/2010 at 1:32 PM
This is f'ing rediculous. No fix/patch yet? It's been 5 months now. Fix it already.... It's f'ing cut and paste, are your stupid ass developers not capable of fixing this?
Posted by PAULL on 10/11/2010 at 5:49 AM
I too need a fix to this ASAP.

It is making VS 2010 unusable.
Posted by Tamer Yousef on 9/9/2010 at 8:46 AM
THIS IS CRAZY, INSANE AND STUPID, MICROSOFT WITH ALL THEIR EMPLOYEES CANNOT FREAKIN FIX SUCH BUG? PLEAAASE, WHAT KIND OF SOFTWARE IS THIS?
WITH ALL THE GREAT WORK THAT WAS DONE TO .NET, THIS UNDERMINE EVERYTHING WHEN MICROSOFT CANNOT FORCE A PROGRAMMER TO STAY OVER A WEEKEND TO FIX IT! GIVE ME A BREAK!
Posted by Saq0 on 9/8/2010 at 4:22 PM
I'm having this problem too. Win 7 + vs 2010 when remote desktop session is open
Posted by Blackthorn Advisory Group on 9/8/2010 at 12:30 PM
This is a gigantic problem. I can't work like this, it's driving me crazy. Why has no fix for this been released? It's been almost 4 months. Are you kidding me? I just dropped over 5Gs on an MSDN subscription specifically for VS2010 and related software. This will be remembered when my subscription expires.....
Posted by Steve Roberts on 9/3/2010 at 5:22 AM
I'm quite surprised this problem is still outstanding, I can't believe how much of a productivity snafu this causes. Please fix it. The workarounds posted do work, but that's just a pain.
Posted by Will Reynoldson on 9/3/2010 at 3:53 AM
This is a real pain and is affecting our productivity.

rdclip.exe is not running on my machine, I have Resharper installed but no 3rd party clipboard applications.
Posted by GA30 on 9/1/2010 at 6:11 AM
Forgive me MS for the rant ahead of time!

It is just plain evil that nothing has been done about this. On 5/20 you guys said someone is working on this. It's been 3 months and still nothing? WOW. I understand you guys have your priorities and resources are limited and what not but how about making sure on getting the basics right? This is just bad. There really is no other way to put it.
Posted by zac morris on 8/12/2010 at 11:52 AM
Seriously, this happens all the time. I don't use any clipboard sharing or RD. It is definitely NOT A GOOD THING if my text editor (VS) brings my 3.2GHz quad core i7 (which I had to buy just to run VS2010) to its knees when I try to cut and past a few lines of text . This needs to be fixed now.
Posted by Async on 8/10/2010 at 9:38 AM
This is really happening quite often and the only real workaround is to shut down VS and start it back up. I talked to another developer too that has the same issue so I know it's not an isolated case. Why isn't a hotfix being issued for this??????? This really is a huge problem!!!!
Posted by JPerl on 8/7/2010 at 5:03 PM
I noticed this happens more often when I have an attached Visual Studio.

I do not have RD or any other clipboard applications running.
Posted by dpecora on 8/4/2010 at 2:22 PM
This problem is really annoying, as developers use cut and paste all the time. Could we please get a hotfix for this? Thanks.
Posted by Job Vermeulen on 8/3/2010 at 8:07 AM
Is there any news on an hotfix/update?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/20/2010 at 1:53 AM
Hi Russell,

There is a known issue with symptoms like the ones you describe - text will occasionally fail to cut or copy correctly, which can manifest itself as a failed paste. Although it's not exclusive to remote desktop, remote desktop does make it significantly more likely. We believe this bug is related to clipboard sharing, which typically happens when you have third-party clipboard applications or when you have an instance of remote desktop running (which can cause this bug in VS on the local or remote machine).

We know this is a very impactful bug and we're working on a fix. There are a few workarounds that may help (but not completely eliminate the problem) for now:
- Disable clipboard sharing for remote desktop and any 3rd-party clipboard applications.
- Kill the "rdclip.exe" process in Task Manager, which will serve the same purpose as workaround #1 for remote desktop.
- Try copy and paste again. The failures tend to be sporadic, so copying and pasting the same text again, while annoying, will usually work, though this won't help with the cut case Derrick mentions.

Again, this has been assigned to a developer and that we're working on a fix. We'll post an update here as soon as we have more information to share.

Thanks for using Visual Studio 2010 and sending your feedback,

Brittany Behrens
Program Manager, VS Platform - Editor
Posted by DerrickP on 5/14/2010 at 8:40 AM
I am experiencing this very often. Perhaps it's because I'm using VS2010 via RDP. When I experience the failure pasting, I also try pasting into notepad and it fails to paste. If I use Ctrl-X, the text disappears but again fails to paste.
Posted by Russell de Grove on 5/12/2010 at 6:13 AM
This is intermittent. I'm not sure how a video will help but the next time it starts doing this I'll try to do some sort of screen capture.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/11/2010 at 10:23 PM

Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please attach a video to this feedback through our site to help us reproduce the issue?

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 5/11/2010 at 5:03 PM
Posted by bwt on 12/27/2010 at 7:39 AM
Contrary to what a previous workaround mentioned, turning HTML Copy on in the Productivity Power Tools _DOES NOT_ fix the copy/paste problem. I am hoping that the VS2010 SP1 Beta which is up for download provides an actual solution.
Posted by stevencohn on 11/4/2010 at 9:20 AM
Posted by T. Derdelinckx on 10/12/2010 at 2:34 AM
How about the Clipboard Ring to see if the Cut/Copy action was "successfull"?
The only problem is ... I can't find it in VS2010 :-)
I had this problem for a long time, and always thought it was my Remote Desktop or Virtual Server. Suddenly it disappeared, and since yesterday it's back (after more than 4 weeks!)
Posted by Scot Br - MSFT on 10/7/2010 at 12:53 PM
Install the Productivity Power Tools extension from Microsoft, available as a free download at http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/d0d33361-18e2-46c0-8ff2-4adea1e34fef?SRC=Home

This will install quite a few extensions for Visual Studio, including HTML Copy, which should fix the copy/paste issue. The Power Tools also include a bunch of other features that you may or may not want. You can disable any or all of them on the Tools->Options->Productivity Power Tools page. As long as HTML Copy remains on, the Ctrl+C failures should be fixed.
Posted by Tamer Yousef on 9/9/2010 at 8:47 AM
BOTH WORKAROUNDS BELOW ARE STUPID, REPEAT 10 TIMES? SERIOUSLY? R U THERE TO CREATE PROGRAMS OR KEEP PRESSING LIKE A CHILD...
Posted by Dr. X. Tan on 8/11/2010 at 1:30 PM
When Ctrl+V does not work after Ctrl+C, repeat Ctrl+C many times (I usually repeat 10 times) and then do the Ctrl+V. It then works.
Obviously this does not work Ctrl+X. So you would have to repeat Ctrl+C many times, and then hit Ctrl+X.
Posted by MadlilMart on 7/28/2010 at 1:22 AM
Have notepad open, when copy and paste stops working in VS2010 (I'm using Ultimate at the moment) click into notepad, hit ctl+c then ctl+v, then go back to VS2010 and copy and paster will work temporarily.
Rince and repeat!