VS2010 hungs-up when on Go to Definition or Go to Declaration by Андрей Алифанов

as Postponed Help for as Postponed

Opened: 5/25/2010 3:28:29 AM

In my MFC project VS2010 regularly hungs-up when I select symbol and hit F12 or Ctrl+F12
Posted by Microsoft on 3/20/2011 at 12:55 AM
Hello Andrey,

You have probably had a chance to try Visual Studio 2010 SP1 by now. As Tim mentioned earlier, we have made some performance improvements in Go to Definition and Go To Declaration in SP1 and I sincerely hope that the problems that you were reporting have been mitigated. We are continuing to make further performance improvements that will be shipped in the future releases of Visual Studio.

We are going ahead and closing this report at this time. Please report any other problems you see with Visual Studio SP1. The Connect bugs help us greatly in improving our product.

Thanks again for your feedback,
Sumit Kumar
Visual C++ Team
Posted by Microsoft on 12/28/2010 at 10:01 AM
Hi Andrey,

Thanks for reporting about the general slowness of Go To Definition in Visual Studio 2010. We are aware of this issue for some C++ projects and have made several improvments in Visual Studio 2010 SP1, including an option to cancel a long-running Go To Definition operation.

You can access the beta here:

I would be interested to hear if your experience with Go To Definition is any better using SP1.

Thank you for your support and interest in our product. We sincerely appreciate your continued feedback.

Tim Gerken - tim.gerken@microsoft.com
Senior Test Lead
Microsoft Visual Studio - C++ Project and Build Team
Posted by Josh.Heitzman.Mindspark on 10/11/2010 at 8:23 PM
Been seeing this as well. Solution has 36 projects and containing a couple thousands of files. Some source files are included in more then one project. I just hit a case where it hung for several minutes before finding a the source of symbol that was actually declared into two different files (there is some duplicated code that is never built in one project together). The text I was trying to find the definition on was in a .cpp file it was also inside a block of code disabled by a #if (so it was greyed out). Trying it a second time didn't produce a noticeable hang (was < 3 seconds).

I acutally had to build the soultion up project by project while migrating from VS98, and I didn't not see this at all early in my work, so it appears to be an issue of scale (i.e. so a trivial reproduction case would do it).

I'm also running on WinXP Pro (quad core, 32-bit), and I can't send a zip my projects since it's the corporate code.
Posted by TheDelhiDuck on 8/12/2010 at 5:23 PM
Just wanted to add to this and say that I also experience this problem a lot, and find it very frustrating so I look forward to it's resolution.
Posted by Андрей Алифанов on 8/10/2010 at 2:37 AM
Hi Brittany!

I'm working in Windows XP SP3. Unfortunately VS 2010 Diagnostic Tool doesn't work under this OS.
What should I do to resolve my problem?

With best regards,
Andrey.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/19/2010 at 5:06 PM
Alright, thanks. I'm resolving this bug as Not Repro for the moment, but we'll reactivate it as soon as you post more information after your vacation.

Hope you enjoy your time off!
- Brittany
Posted by Андрей Алифанов on 7/9/2010 at 12:22 AM
Hi Brittany,

I'll do it in august - when my vacation is finished.

With best regards,
Andrey
Posted by Microsoft on 7/8/2010 at 4:40 PM
Hi Andrey - Thanks for the update. Would you be willing to collect a trace of the poor Go To Def performance so we can investigate? The easiest way to do this is by downloading the VS 2010 Diagnostic Tool, available as a free download here: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/e8649e35-26b1-4e73-b427-c2886a0705f4. ETW traces would be the most helpful in this case. If the file(s) are too big to attach to this bug, just let me know and I can set up a new workspace (the one you were using in late May has likely expired).

I'm sorry to keep asking you for more information; it's just that performance issues and hangs tend to be very difficult to investigate without a live repro. The more details you can help us collect, the more likely it is that we'll be able to track down and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks again for your help,
Brittany
Posted by Андрей Алифанов on 7/1/2010 at 8:47 PM
When I reported this issue, VS2010 hung-up indefinitely, but now in my working project (it's quite a big project, so I can't upload it) it regularly decelerates - usually from 20-30 seconds to about minute or two.

In small projects VS2010 doesn't hang-up, but also can decelerate.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/28/2010 at 5:09 PM
Hi Andrey - Because we haven't heard from you in the past few weeks and haven't been able to reproduce this IntelliSense problem, I'm unfortunately resolving this bug as Not Reproducible. This is by no means final; if/when you have time to attach a sample project or give more information, just post here and we'll be happy to take another look.

Thanks again for your feedback,
Brittany
Posted by Microsoft on 6/16/2010 at 1:59 PM
Hi Andrey,

Thanks for uploading the dump file. It's helped us make some progress on this issue, but unfortunately it's not quite enough for us to fully identify and fix the problem. Could you zip up a sample project where this happens, tell us exactly where to press F12, and attach the project to this bug (should be small enough that you don't need to use the workspace)? Could you also clarify whether this is an indefinite hang, i.e. you have to restart VS or kill the process to terminate the hang, or a shorter delay of a few seconds or minutes?

Thanks again for reporting this issue. We hope to hear from you soon.

Brittany Behrens
Program Manager, VS Platform
Posted by Андрей Алифанов on 5/26/2010 at 10:16 PM
I did it.
I uploaded file 561259.zip with minidump to workspace https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=5ce6cb9b-4986-4229-8124-5c55caf59503.

But I got minidump with heap. I think, this one will be more informative.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/26/2010 at 12:16 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with a mini dump file and call stack. You can use the following steps to get a mini dump file:
1. Start Visual Studio.
2. Start another instance of VS.
3. In the second instance click Tools | Attach to Process...
4. In the list of processes locate devenv.exe.
5. Click Select... and explicitly choose 'Native' and 'Managed' code.
6. Click OK and OK to close Select dialog and Attach to Process dialog.
7. Go back to the first instance of VS and repro the crash\hang.
8. Upon the crash\hang, control should go to the second instance of VS.
9. In the second instance click Debug | Save Mini Dump (without heap).

If you are running the VB profile you will not see the Save Dump As menu item. To add this menu item:
a. Select Tools -> Customize
b. Select the Commands tab
c. Select Debug from the “Menu bar” dropdown
d. Click “Add Command…”
e. Select Debug from the Categories list.
f. Find the “Save Dump As” entry in the Commands window.
g. Click OK (the “Save Dump As…[mini dump]” command is added to the top of the Debug menu).
h. Click “Close”

You can get detailed steps about how to get the dump file and call stack at http://blogs.msdn.com/debugger/archive/2009/12/30/what-is-a-dump-and-how-do-i-create-one.aspx

Please name the zipped file 561259.zip.
You can upload the file to workspace:

Password:HZfik{JRheRi27

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team