Backspace and Arrow key not working by plasticwhale

as External Help for as External

Opened: 6/13/2010 10:02:09 AM

The arrow keys and backspace keys stop working. Letters continue to work. There is another bug report on this but it says it closed.
Posted by DigitalJustin on 5/18/2011 at 8:39 AM
Also, forgot to say.. I've had the same issue in Expression Web 4 SP1 as well.. not sure if Alt+Enter works in it or not.
Posted by DigitalJustin on 5/18/2011 at 8:38 AM
Running SP1 RTM... still an issue.. but Alt+Enter works for me as listed in the workarounds.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/23/2011 at 6:06 PM
Hi guys, just to let you know that this is closed because it is a duplicate of the many issue reports we have been hearing. We are very interested in getting an isolated repro so that we can fix the problem. Can anybody provide detailed steps to reproduce? At the moment it's difficult to sort through all the information provided.

Something else we are interested in is if installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Beta eliminates the issue or affects how often it happens. Thanks all!
Posted by mikeyg82 on 2/23/2011 at 3:52 AM
Thanks bccave, your work around worked for me.

Switching from aspx to Code Behind and back seems to fix it temporarily for me
Posted by RobDavis- on 2/3/2011 at 1:49 AM
VS 2010 Windows 7 64bit, no resharper, same problem.
Enter does not work, occurs randomly (not to often) no other programs affected.
Alt+Enter does not resolve issue but keypad Enter (Num Lock ON) does
Posted by StuTheDog on 1/30/2011 at 2:30 PM
Well I guess not reSharped, just happened again, this time Alt-Enter cured it. I was typing and fumble fingered, something like Ctrl+Shift+left Paren then the keyboard went into stupid mode, pressing ESC a couple times brought up a VS system menu, finally Alt+Enter caused it to return to normal ops. So now I'm leaning towards a rare and difficult to replicate key combo.
Posted by StuTheDog on 1/28/2011 at 11:42 AM
I think it is related to ReSharper. I installed the eval version of RS 5.1 y'day and the problem started within hours. Uninstall RS and everything is back to normal.
Posted by Chris Coneybeer on 12/23/2010 at 8:23 AM
Just started noticing this issue more and came across this. Just wondering what add-ons people are using such as resharper. The work around posted says to hit ALT+ENTER and it worked for me. Since this is a common shortcut in resharper could it be the cause.

Chris
Posted by RonCl on 12/21/2010 at 7:53 AM
I'm seeing the same thing. Every once in a while (amost daily now) my backspace key stops working in VS2010. Most of my dev in in Asp.net using webforms and .net 4.0

Environ:
Windows 7 64 bit
VS2010 ver 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
.Net Framework ver 4.0.30319 RTMRel

Thanks for the tip on alt+enter. That works for me as a workaround. Hope you all can find and squash the bug soon.
Posted by liquid_iq on 12/17/2010 at 2:31 PM
This has been happening to me for awhile, but I thought it was the fault of my wireless keyboard. Closing the file and re-opening it works for me, as well as the workaround mentioned here of alt + enter.

I haven't noticed a particular set of circumstances, except that the file will have been open for awhile before it happens, and it will only be in particular files, not the whole environment.
Posted by TwasBrillig on 11/1/2010 at 4:59 AM
Note the other reports that are probably the same defect:
Posted by TwasBrillig on 11/1/2010 at 4:53 AM
This just started happening to me repeatedly today.

I've been working on this solution file for a long time, but I recently converted a few web site projects it contains to web application projects. That was a week ago and today is the first time I've seen it, but I haven't edited code much since then.

More likely to be related is the fact that I just went in and tried to set a keybinding for "Build Selected". I had to pound out quite a few key combinations before I finally found one that wasn't reported as in-use by the tools:environment:keyboardshortcuts interface. I bound it to ctrl-shift Q.

My keys work fine if I switch to another app, but I come back to VS2010 and they are still broken. It's Backspace, Enter, Arrows. Strangely, when I tapped the backspace (or maybe it was the arrow) key enough times, the "Client Objects and Events" dropdown was pulled. I thought I was going crazy, but was able to repeat the result about 3 times a few hours ago.

I thought maybe my control/alt/shift keys were stuck, as sometimes happens when using a remote control session. It just happened to me after a reboot, and I haven't used any application since booting except VS2010.

I have not installed any applications today.

I also moved a few VS2010 dockable windows around today, after trying out their "flyout" mode seriously for the first time. I added my Find tab to the right pane where I've been keeping Solution Explorer and other tall tabs I use quite a bit.

Hope you can track it down, it's super-annoying!
Posted by Greg00 on 10/25/2010 at 3:36 PM
I am working on VS2005. I have used it for years (intermittently but still putting in the man hours) and now this problem has happened to me also.

My backspace, delete, back-delete, F7, arrow keys and overtyping of characters does not work. Alt+Enter does not help, nor does rebooting the machine. I can use these functions OK in Word tho'.

How am I going to work in the future? I have recently reinstalled VS in the vain hope that that another recurring problem - breakpoints being completely ineffective - might be overwritten. This keying problem seems to happen more frequently in VS2010 from the comments posted.
Posted by bccave on 10/4/2010 at 10:43 AM
This happens to me all the time when working in VS 2010. I can't pinpoint the steps to reproduce. It seems random.

This is a very annoying bug. Arrows and backspace do not work when this happens.

I was able to use Alt + Enter to get it working again temporarily as suggested by another user here.

Windows 7 64bit, Visual Studio 2010, working in an MVC2 project
Posted by TStokes1 on 9/8/2010 at 3:20 AM
Just happened to me too. Arrows and backspace broken. Switched to a code behind file and back again and it's ok now. Very confusing at the time though!
Posted by Stevishere on 8/26/2010 at 5:36 AM
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 RTMRel

Windows 7 Ultimate
Build 7600

I too have found this bug. It seems to happen after I paste something into the code. I tried the alt+enter suggestion. That seemed to make the Enter and backspace keys function again. I only had to hiy alt+enter the one time after this occurs, then all is well for a while.
Posted by JonhTrem on 8/18/2010 at 11:50 AM
It start to bug since july2010.

Sadly the "Alt+Enter" don't work for me.
Keys that don't work: enter, backspace, space (i paste space to write this msg),F5.

Enter from numpad still work.

My system:

Windows 7 (6.1.7600), all patch and update
VisualStudio 2005(8.0.50727.867)

HP Z200 64bit 2processor
Posted by StealthyPancake on 8/12/2010 at 11:55 AM
Same happens to me in the full retail version in my Site.Master page (MVC2). alt + enter fixes it temporarily. It would be nice if this was fixed though.
Posted by Michael Pelton on 8/5/2010 at 5:47 AM
Good catch wleingang - works for me too. Many thanks. should also provide a clue as to what's going wrong for the devs perhaps?
Posted by wleingang on 8/3/2010 at 2:57 PM
I have found that hitting "alt + enter" fixes the problem for me.
Posted by jmbsppro on 7/22/2010 at 3:43 AM
I recently started experiencing this behavior as well, on the following system:

Windows 7 Pro
6.1.7600 Build 7600
HAL: 6.1.7600.16385

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 RTMRel

Installed Version: WD Express

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01015-169-9940015-70665
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
Posted by paaland on 7/14/2010 at 2:05 AM
Happens to me nearly daily. Developing a asp.net 4 web application in Visual Studio 2010 Premium. Running Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

Symptoms: Backspace, enter and arrowkeys stop working. For me it only affects aspx and ascx files (files with a design mode option?) even when showing only "pure" markup.

Workaround: Alt-tab to another file type like .cs, everything works fine, alt-tab back to aspx/ascx file and it works again.

Theory: I mostly work with the keyboard and not the mouse (lots of shortcuts being used). I have a feeling that the problem occurs after rapidly typing some shortcuts. Seems Visual Studio is "stuck" half way in some key-combo.
Posted by ZeroInfinite on 7/1/2010 at 2:14 AM
I get this too on VS2010 Ultimate RTM on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. It normally happens on the code-behind file. The arrow keys and the backspace keys stopped responding only for visual studio but everything else is okay and a massive dialogue box appears saying object not set to an instance of an object. After this you can't use the keys at all. Have to shut down VS and restart it then it works again.

It happens several times and and randomly too.
Posted by Ben Allred on 6/28/2010 at 1:00 PM
This sometimes occurs for me as well (not sure what I was doing when it happens) but it's not limited to .css files - it happens when I'm editing .aspx and .cs files.
Posted by Ryan Bull on 6/28/2010 at 5:56 AM
I still have this problem after upgrading to the full release version of VS2010 (10.0.30319.1)
I'm running Vista, and it only seems to happen in Visual Studio. - The keys work fine in other windows that I have open at the same time.
Posted by pwc1011 on 6/25/2010 at 9:29 AM
I have this problem as well, however, I can't tell you what causes it. It's happened numerous times.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/13/2010 at 7:37 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 6/13/2010 at 5:06 PM
Posted by DelphiKit on 12/27/2011 at 8:22 PM
The workaround to close the tool window works for me. Refer to this blog:

Posted by Casinha on 12/13/2011 at 2:33 AM
I can confirm that wleingang's solution (Alt + Enter) worked for me.
Posted by avheatherim on 4/21/2011 at 10:08 AM
Ctrl + Enter fixes it for me.

BUT, I would LOVE a patch instead!
Posted by mikeyg82 on 2/23/2011 at 3:53 AM
As bccave posted:

Switching from aspx to Code Behind and back seems to fix it. Well, until it happens again :(
Posted by RobDavis- on 2/3/2011 at 1:50 AM
Alt+Enter did not fix the issue for me but pressing the Numpad Enter (Num Lock ON) did.
Posted by The Lame Duck on 10/21/2010 at 4:56 PM
As wleingang posted:

Posted by wleingang on 8/3/2010 at 2:57 PM
I have found that hitting "alt + enter" fixes the problem for me.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size