Getting an "HttpWebRequest WebException RemoteServer : Arguments:NotFound" when trying to connect to a HTTPS REST service by sudheerkovalam

Active

Opened: 6/14/2010 9:22:11 PM

This is an issue in the windows phone 7 developer tools:

I am trying to access a REST service over HTTPS whose response is XML.
Whenever , i try to call this service from my WP7 silverlight app, i get an exception:
HttpWebRequest WebException RemoteServer : Arguments:NotFound

However the same app works on another machine and I do receive the expected response.

I am not able to figure out ,as to why this is happening.
there are similar posts giving various reasons such as VPN adapters causing the issue etc.
however, the snippet on the other machine runs with/without the VPN connections without any problems.

I have posted the same at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7series/thread/4b9991a9-117e-4762-8ee6-40820e74f003

How do I exactly resolve this issue?

any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated.
Posted by JJACQUES on 3/15/2012 at 6:28 AM
You made my day !
Posted by Alexey Smirnov on 1/27/2012 at 5:34 AM
I have the same problem: OnAsyncCallCompleted(IAsyncResult result), sometimes I am getting

Inner Exception Messages:
[HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer]
Arguments: NotFound
Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=4.0.60831.0&File=System.Windows.dll&Key=HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer
[HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer]
Arguments: NotFound

Posted by 马少华 on 1/3/2012 at 7:24 PM
我也遇到了这样的问题,本机win7 iis7.5没有问题 silverlight通过https访问wcf服务,局域网里的其它机器在浏览器里访问这个SL4应用程序也没有任何问题,浏览器外运行就出现HttpWebRequest_webException_remoteserver错误,网上的方法基本都试过了,也没有解决。
Posted by Pat Tormey on 1/20/2011 at 3:52 AM
I also get this message sometimes on some client computers and never on my development system so I have no way to analize the issue

It's SL4, VS2010. RIA
Inner Exception[HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer] Arguments: NotFound Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=4.0.51204.0&File=System.Windows.dll&Key=HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer Unhandled Exception     at System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.OperationBase.Complete(Exception error)     at System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.InvokeOperation.Complete(Exception error)     at System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.DomainContext.CompleteInvoke(IAsyncResult asyncResult)     at System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.DomainContext.<>c__DisplayClass38.<InvokeOperation>b__34(Object )
Posted by CHECK24-ZL on 1/3/2011 at 8:26 AM
I have the exact same error, but on a non-secure HTTP connection.
Most clients don't encounter this error, some do.
We could not, so far, find out why or what is the difference between the clients, that could cause this.
Posted by GearWorld on 10/22/2010 at 6:51 AM
It's not an issue only in Windows phone 7 developer tools. Nope, I'm with a Silverlight application calling a very simple WCF service and I get this once a week, or thice a day or 3 times in a row or 2 weeks pass and I have it so where's the problem. How can we debug such problem ?
Posted by GearWorld on 10/22/2010 at 6:49 AM
Anything yet ? there's nothing helping, FIDDLER or any other development tools on PRODUCTION machine do not reveal the problem. Is there a way Microsoft could modify slightly the return of this error to include more detail on where the problem is exactly ?
Posted by GearWorld on 9/20/2010 at 8:27 AM
I got the exact same problem, calling a WCF method from my Silverlight Application and this error appeasr not very often but enough to ask for help as I really don't know where to look at to debug this.

It happens only on the production machine. In VS2010 as I never been able to reproduce it.
So I'm unable to know what's going on on the production machine

I thought about using the FaultException returned by the server to snif in so meanwhile I'll try this but if you have any other suggestions it would be greatly apreciated as NOT FOUND is very not helpful !
Posted by GearWorld on 8/5/2010 at 7:34 AM
I got this anoying error [HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer] on my Silverlight 4 application running on the customer computer. It stops on the CLIENT SIDE in the AsyncCompleted event.

It seems that my WCF call was completed but once it want to return to the client I get this occationally. it's obviously not easy to pin point. Could Microsoft do a simple fix to give us more details about what's going on. Arguments NOT FOUND doesn't help at all to find what is the cause of the problem and we don't know how to go for a good way to debug this on the customer machine.

Please we need support on this as this error isn't giving enough information to know what's wrong.
Please do us a favor and patch Silverlight 4 so we can get more details about the problem.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/15/2010 at 4:02 AM
Posted by BravcM on 2/2/2011 at 11:39 PM
Setup your server (e.g. MS Windows Server 2008 R2, IIS7) for Silverlight 4 and WCF RIA Services:

1) Download and install the .NET 4 Framework Web Platform Installer.
    Use the installer to install the .NET 4 Framework. Reboot the server after this completes.

2) Download WCF RIA Services to your local machine (e.g. c:\temp).
    Open up a command window (I used "Run as Administrator"). Go to the folder with the MSI file (e.g. c:\temp) and
    type the following command to launch the install of WCF RIA Services:

msiexec /i RiaServices.msi SERVER=TRUE

3) To remove anoying error [HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer] do the following:
    go to the command prompt, open the Microsoft.NET\Framework64 folder
    (e.g. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319) and execute the following commands:

servicemodelreg -ia
    aspnet_regiis -i
    iisreset

This corrects the installation issue and WCF RIA Services works as expected.

Regards,