Reproducible crash when commenting by Shrinker

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 7/5/2010 11:36:55 AM

(1) Get this file with only one line of code and no carriage returns: http://shrinker.beyond-veils.de/temp10f/20100705crash_file.txt

(2) Set the notable options from here (if you can't recreate the crash, synchronize other options too): http://shrinker.beyond-veils.de/temp10f/20100705crash_settings.png

(3) open the file, select all, hit the comment button (or hit ctrl+k, c if your shortcuts are laid out like that)

=> VS crashes.

(I have successfully had a friend reproduce the crash with these instructions)

Original thread:

Best regards,

Shrinker
Posted by Shrinker on 8/17/2010 at 2:05 PM
I am glad this worked out well. Say, considering the other things that I reported and that are being worked on... is there a possibility for a little compensation?

I am just working on my diploma thesis and am going to finish my computer science studies early next year. I already have a job secured, but it's always good to collect references for the future. Would it be possible to have a document created and sent to me via snail-mail, signed, that indicates that I've made a little contribution to this great product? I'm sure that a reference by Microsoft would be a big bonus in case I need to apply for a job again later :)

Best regards,

Shrinker
Posted by Microsoft on 8/17/2010 at 1:41 PM
Hi Shrinker,

Thank you for taking the time to report this! We have addressed the problem and Visual Studio no longer crashes in this scenario. The fix will be available in a future release, hopefully in SP1. With the fix Visual Studio is stable in this scenario, though various IntelliSense features are unavailable. We plan to enable them in the future.

Thank you again!

Erich Wolodzko
Visual C++ IDE Team
Posted by Microsoft on 7/6/2010 at 12:30 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 7/5/2010 at 5:03 PM
Posted by Shrinker on 7/5/2010 at 11:37 AM
One might try to display C++ files in the C# mode, because it doesn't seem to crash under these circumstances.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size