Home Dashboard Directory Help

"AlwaysCreate" needs documentation or VS10 fix by BobH2


 as External Help for as External

Sign in
to vote
Type: Bug
ID: 574245
Opened: 7/10/2010 9:59:42 AM
Access Restriction: Public
User(s) can reproduce this bug


1>------ Build started: Project: XXX_Lib, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Build started 2010-07-10 12:35:40 PM.
1> Creating ".\Debug\XXX_Lib.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
1> StdAfx.cpp
1>Build FAILED.
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:02.00
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Eugene Belyakov on 12/27/2010 at 1:19 AM
I attached TestProject.zip file. Unzip it and build by msbuild:

d:\Temp>msbuild project.vcxproj
Microsoft (R) Build Engine Version 4.0.30319.1
[Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 4.0.30319.1]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2007. All rights reserved.

Build started 27.12.2010 12:14:44.
Project "d:\Temp\project.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).
Creating "Debug\project.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
All outputs are up-to-date.
All outputs are up-to-date.
All outputs are up-to-date.
All outputs are up-to-date.
Deleting file "Debug\project.unsuccessfulbuild".
Touching "Debug\project.lastbuildstate".
Done Building Project "d:\Temp\project.vcxproj" (default targets).

Build succeeded.
    0 Warning(s)
    0 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.14

How can I avoid this "unsuccessfulbuild" messages? Project file was created manually in notepad (not in visual studio 2010).
Posted by Bruce Dawson on 7/26/2010 at 11:48 PM
I hit this problem and couldn't find any rational explanation. I tried isolating the problem by copying the project elsewhere, but then the problem didn't happen. Eventually I did a rebuild-all of the project and its dependencies and that worked.

However it would be nice to see the underlying problems resolved. The new build system was supposed to make it possible to diagnose these problems but it was completely useless in this case. Is there an AlwaysCreate setting? If so then where is it set? This message is either incomplete or misleading -- which is it?
Posted by BobH2 on 7/21/2010 at 5:47 AM
How about the documentation?
Posted by Microsoft on 7/19/2010 at 2:32 AM
Thanks for your update. Based on your comment, I will close this feedback. Should you find any bugs in the future, please feel free to let us know.
Posted by BobH2 on 7/18/2010 at 4:57 PM
Support Team,

I don't remember know how this got resolved but I eventually found the problem.

I have my help working now too and it doesn't show anything for "unsuccessfulbuild". Some documentation might be in order here.

Posted by Microsoft on 7/14/2010 at 12:05 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/11/2010 at 6:38 PM
Thanks for reporting this issue. In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Please give us a demo project to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by SQL Offline (dev) on 7/11/2010 at 7:37 AM
Agreed that we should have the reasons for this documented. In my case in VS10 it was due to having missing (but non-complied .h files, thus no additional error to identify) in project folders.

A quick check that all project files can open in editor fixed this problem.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/10/2010 at 5:07 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com)
Sign in to post a workaround.
Posted by Ondrej Spanel on 12/1/2011 at 4:35 AM
In my case it was also the .h files. I was able to identify them using Process Monitor filter (include Path contains .h, include Result is PATH_NOT_FOUND).

The .h files were convenience shortcuts to allow editing files which sometime were present and sometimes not. Instead of removing them from a project I marked them all as "Excluded From Build".
Posted by Kainan121 on 3/4/2011 at 1:44 AM
The following worked for me:

Navigate to Project->Properties->Linker->Input

In the Additional Dependencies remove dxerr.lib

This may be because I was not using dxerr.lib anywhere in my app, so try removing any .lib that you are not using.
Posted by Bradley Grainger on 12/6/2010 at 4:11 PM
For a script to identify all .h files that are missing on disk, see http://code.logos.com/blog/2010/12/fixing_c_projects_that_always_rebuild.html
Posted by SQL Offline (dev) on 7/11/2010 at 7:39 AM
Open all files that are not complied (example: .h) in the project. Remove references to files that do not exist.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size  
TestProject.zip 12/27/2010 1 KB