Visual Studio 2010 Code Editor Problems by HyperReal

as External Help for as External

Opened: 7/15/2010 7:03:48 AM

Whilst editing code in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, the code editor will frequently lag or fail to Paint portions of the screen, resulting in the user having to use the scrollbars to refresh the entire code editor.

Posted by Microsoft on 11/15/2012 at 2:24 PM
The WPF team has recently reviewed this issue and will not be addressing this issue as at this time the team is focusing on the bugs impacting the highest number of WPF developers. If you believe that this was resolved in error, please reactivate this bug with any necessary supporting details.

We appreciate the feedback. However, this issue will not be addressed in the next version of WPF. Thank you.
–WPF Team.
Posted by CleBLee on 7/19/2011 at 6:35 AM
test
Posted by Microsoft on 4/5/2011 at 10:32 AM
To close on the painting issues, our team and the WPF team have fixed most of the painting bugs that require changes in our code. The outstanding issues are either a) known issues in Windows or b) incompatibilities with certain graphics drivers.

For most, disabling hardware acceleration or switching to an Aero theme fixes the issues:

1. Click on Tools->Options
    2. Under Environment->General uncheck "Automatically adjust visual appearance based on client performance"
    3. Uncheck both the checkboxes below that one to disable rich visuals and hardware acceleration.

Other times, it's conflicting programs. We've seen programs such as Ultramon, VMWare, and the recently posted LogMeIn cause issues with rendering. We don't have much control over these external programs. We'll continue to keep an eye on these issues as they come in and route over to Windows and external vendors.

Thanks,
Weston Hutchins
Program Manager - VS Platform
Posted by nodmonkey on 4/4/2011 at 7:04 AM
I had the issue described and found this rather odd solution. It was caused by a display Mirror Driver by LogMeIn causing conflicts with Windows 7 Aero. So if you don't use the LogMeIn service, then this won't fix it for you.

Installing LogMeIn on your W7 PC installs "LogMeIn Mirror Driver" under Device Manager > Display Adapters. There is an open issue with this adapter sometimes causing Windows 7 to be unable to load Aero effects (http://community.logmein.com/t5/Free/Aero-is-deactivated-after-installing-logmein/td-p/26193).

So, to solve the VS2010 issues for me I had to:
1. Make sure you select an Aero theme from Control Panel > Personalisation.
2. Start a LogMeIn session from IE to your own computer (it will warn you that you are connecting to the computer you are currently using; this is okay, say to continue).
3. Disconnect from the LogMeIn session using the button in the browser.
4. Your display should automatically refresh and Aero will be enabled again.
5. Now in Visual Studio 2010, none of the text scroll/refresh/artifact issues are there.

I hope this is the fix for some of you too.
Posted by ostano on 3/23/2011 at 1:17 PM
I received the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate provided by my University in Germany. When I was installing it, the whole program was slow and lagging. My system is Windows7 Home Premium 32bits, 4GB RAM. I guess this is already sufficient for the program. Is it? I didn't know what the problem is and I then tried installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional. The same thing happened again. My friend installed the Ultimate from the same source but with no problems. Is it because my laptop is not functioning well or are there any other reasons why i can't install my Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate?
Posted by tibor blazko on 9/15/2010 at 1:36 AM
hi ms
could you react to: is there any in-background-running code should have influence to text layout?
know:
exact typographic software does not have such jumping behavior
text sometimes jumps asynchronously even when i'm near begin of document
i think i use nearly default editor's settings (one color change)
is it (jumping letters) absolutely different issue or belongs to this one (corrupted letters)?
have i create new bug?
Posted by Bruno M. Cruz on 8/9/2010 at 11:46 AM
I use windows XP and disabling the hardware acceleration worked for me.
It's been over a week and the problem did not appear.
Posted by dc12345 on 8/9/2010 at 11:17 AM
I am having similar issues with VS2010 Ultimate, in the C# editor. It seems to occur (sometimes) when Intellisense is starting however the screen freezes and intellisense will not stop and yet the screen will not update what i am typing. If i switch to a different code file and then switch back it sometimes stops.
Posted by tibor blazko on 8/3/2010 at 9:06 PM
today i observed jumping letters also at different computer (with aero)
ms: is there any in-background-running code should have influence to layout?
Posted by tibor blazko on 8/3/2010 at 8:25 AM
yes, as i already note somehow: i do not like aero too but already tested all combinations, problem is visible in vs editor only, no problem with vs dialogs (or dialogs in another .net4 program)
what was maybe said explicitly in my case sometimes are problem destroyed letters and (more often) jumping parts of text (probably complete lines or blocks)
i do not know if it is only problem or that are two independent cases
someone else meets text jumps? very annoying
(a bit root-er link to my description http://www.codeproject.com/Messages/3535901/problems-with-source-code-editor-in-VS2010.aspx )
Posted by THERAOT on 7/31/2010 at 4:09 AM
Hello,

I'm on Windows 7, and usually using non-Aero theme. I tried both using Aero and disabling hardware acceleration on Visual Studio, and both things seems to make it better. I can have either VS with hardware acceleration on Aero working well (I think this dependand on the graphic card, I got a ATI Raedon 3200 on this machine) or a non-Aero theme with VS using software rendering working well. I can't tell which is better performance for VS in my case, also both still have some lag scrolling - and I put responsability on some VS extensions for that - my issue with the dialogs (in particular the one of rename refactor) is fixed with this.

Is there a list of compatible graphic cards?
How much longer until we get anisotropic filtering? :P

I hope disabling hardware acceleration work for those on XP, I'd wait to see what they have to say.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/30/2010 at 4:44 PM
For everyone that's hitting these issues there's a few things you can try.

1. Try the steps in this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2023207
2. Most repainting bugs are the result of non-Aero Windows themes are unfortuantely are Windows issues that VS cannot fix. Can you confirm whether you have an Aero theme (only available on Vista and Win7)?
3. If running on a VM, make sure to also disable graphics acceleration (only available on VMWARE).
Posted by possibility454 on 7/28/2010 at 1:24 PM
I am having this same problem all the time. Its frequently that I launch my program I'm developing, which comes to the front, then a moment later it looks like VS10 comes to the front, it paints over my VB Forms application. But my application is actually on top. If i mouse over a button, the button will draw even though the application itself isnt there, the button will just appear over the VS10 editor. If I click on where the application is, occasionally it will then repaint and I can see it, sometimes not. If i click on the app in the task bar, it will then minimize (which i dont see) and one more click on it will then redisplay it and it repaints at that time.

I am using VS10 professional. Windows XP professional. NVidia Quadro FX graphics adapter.

Please fix this as I can not recommend VS2010 to the rest of the development team here until this is fixed.
Posted by THERAOT on 7/22/2010 at 1:05 AM
I get a glitch when using rename refactor, after the window is closed Visual Studio doesn't repaint the code area, that means that the window of rename seems to be still there, scrolling or moving the cursor over the area triggers repaint. Also some pluggins that relay on VS repaint requires to scroll up and down the code area to update the image. I also have had some lags, but you can always blame my machine on that. I have Windows 7, 2GB RAM, AMD Sempron SI-42.
Posted by tibor blazko on 7/19/2010 at 1:53 AM
failed also 'on' version (part of text jumps)
Posted by tibor blazko on 7/19/2010 at 1:33 AM
test with theme windows 7 basic (instead of windows classic)
and control panel/system/advanced system settings/advanced/use visual styles on windows and buttons = off
brings better results but already failed too
= i'm moving to test it with last setting on
Posted by tibor blazko on 7/16/2010 at 8:02 AM
(i still haven't a final proof but) it looks related to windows theme
Posted by tibor blazko on 7/16/2010 at 12:01 AM
i have very similar problems, nvidia gts 250, win 7
also random "jumps" of screen parts, see
note: I'm already after color jumps because of mouse move over collapsible region (crazy default setting), see
Posted by Microsoft on 7/15/2010 at 8:10 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/15/2010 at 7:00 PM
Posted by M.Brent on 7/15/2010 at 11:15 AM
I have similar issues. New install of VS2010 Ultimate, in the C# editor. Default settings except that the keys are set to Visual Studio C++ mode. Running on a Dell Latitude E6410 with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD, dual monitor config with the LCD panel plus an external LCD monitor. While typing I get frequent screen glitches in addition to occasional slow and incomplete paint of the text window

Data dump from the Intel Graphics utility:
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Core i5)

Report Date:            7/15/2010
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]:        11:15:30
Driver Version:            6.14.10.5225
Operating System:        Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3(5.1.2600)
Default Language:        English (United States)
DirectX* Version:        9.0

1E 4F 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
01 01 01 01 01 01 1D 2A A0 E8 51 84 20 30 2E 46
99 00 2F BE 10 00 00 1A 14 1C A0 E8 51 84 20 30
2E 46 99 00 2F BE 10 00 00 1A 00 00 00 FE 00 43
35 31 44 57 81 31 34 31 42 54 0A 20 00 00 00 00
00 00 41 01 19 00 00 00 00 09 01 0A 20 20 00 FA

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners. *
Posted by Nulldragon on 2/28/2011 at 3:49 AM
I am running Visual Studio 2010 Professional on my computer
(i7 930, ATI HD5700 [8.791.0.0], 6Gb Ram)
Go to "Tools->Options->Environment->General"
Uncheck "Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performace"
Uncheck "Use hardware graphics acceleration if available"
(I left Enable rich client visual experience ticked to no detriment)

The window started repainting itself automatically, no lag or unpainted parts of the screen.
I have a feeling ATI cards have something to do with this, as my other PC with a nvidia GT9600M in it runs fine with default settings)
Posted by Satriinus on 8/19/2010 at 12:56 PM
I am running Visual Studio 2010 express on my viliv x70 ( 1.33Ghz atom, 1gb ram, ssd ) and I had notorious graphical glitches. I changed the theme to windows classic ( although, i'm not sure it contributed to the fix ) and I removed all toolbars. Tools->Customize->Toolbars, and uncheck all. Nearly all graphical glitches went away, on rare occasion, one pops up, but the onpaint event fixes it within a second or so. I will have to add the Aero theme back on and see if the workaround still holds.

I know this isnt much of a workaround, but it might give the guys at M$ a place to start looking.