Visual Studio 2010 hangs after several debugging sessions with blank IE window by MattOARRT

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 9/16/2010 7:15:19 AM

IE 8 + VS 2010 don't seem to play well with each other. I have an ASP .NET project running in .NET 4.0 mode. THe project contains two solutions, one is a solution that generates a DLL for my business logic layer, and the other is the ASP .NET website.

What happens is that I can debug the application usually the first time. Then if I close the IE window to quit debugging I can go change some code. I either do change code, or do not change code, it doesn't matter, occasionally (and it is very random), when I start debugging again, all I get is a blank IE window. You can see the title of the page and it looks like it might continue to come up, but it does not.

Pages that seem to have the most issues are pages with many controls on it. We use DevExpress controls almost exclusively in our projects and one of the .ASPX pages that I set as the start page has a lot of DevExpress controls on it. When launching that page it occasionally comes up, and sometimes it does not.

The database server the application gets data from is only used by one person (ME), and there is no blocking occuring on it, so it's not pausing due to a blocking issue as I've checked for deadlocks on the SQL Server.

I'm running Windows 7 x64, VS 2010, all latest patches. Also occurred on Windows 7 x32, VS 2010 with all the latest patches as well (windows update is not indicating I have anything left to patch).

Additionally, when this blank IE window comes up and you view source, you can see that part of the page HTML has been generated by ASP .NET but it stops at random spots during page generation.
Posted by Typhoon87 on 11/1/2011 at 7:34 AM
According to the release notes this fix made VS 2010 Sp1

Posted by keystone_ice on 7/22/2011 at 12:05 PM
My Visual Studio 2010 has been hanging frequently. It is doing it right now. Every two seconds, it freezes and says Not Responding. If I manage to switch the start-up project from a WPF project to a console project in the solution, it works fine again.

Is there a patch I need to download for this?
Posted by Berend Engelbrecht on 7/14/2011 at 10:48 PM
Which hotfix is supposed to solve this? (I have regularly looked in https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads and still do not see anything really matching).

We work in a large solution with several web projects, and VS2010 gets stuck *at least* 10 times a day on each developer machine. The solution frequently hangs simply when trying to display the markup of an aspx page (or sometimes even a html page!). No high CPU usage, no disk reads, but claims to be "busy" indefinitely (smells like a deadlock or the UI thread waiting on a thread that went away). I now tend to edit markup with Notepad++ outside of Visual Studio to spare me the grief.

Since you declared this fixed on September 28 of last year, VS 2010 on my machine alone will have had similar hangs well over 1,000 times. If that is due to the same bug, it is definitely NOT fixed for me! Today is July 15, 2011, well over 9 months later.
Posted by Frustrated_dev on 6/9/2011 at 2:37 AM
Bump !!!!!!

9/16/2010 at 2:52 PM
[quote]Thanks for emailing me. I've get your solution and repro-ed. Our developer is currently investigating. I'll let you know the resolution/workaround when they are available.

[\quote]

i too have this pblm but i just wanna know the ETA for ur devs to find a solution if it will be within the release of next version of .net
Regards
Frustrated dev
Posted by MattOARRT on 9/28/2010 at 11:55 AM
FYI, notice this is marked as FIXED. You will have to contact Microsoft and see if they will create a hot fix for this issue. Apparently it is a threading logic bug.

This is similar to the following:
Posted by Microsoft on 9/16/2010 at 2:52 PM
Hi, Matt,

Thank you very much.

Xinqiu
Web Platform And Tools
Posted by dennisgeronimo on 11/17/2011 at 5:39 AM
Try to delete all breakpoint this work for me.

i am using 3 tier model each layer is represented as individual project.

i notice that when i have break point on DAL or on BLL it Hank up so i delete all breakpoint or Debug>>Delete all breakpoints

not i always set my breakpoint on runtime