Ctrl modifier becomes "stuck" in certain situations by Roman.St

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 9/24/2010 7:22:43 AM

Visual Studio sometimes enters a mode in which it thinks that Ctrl is held, even though it isn't. This leads to serious issues, by triggering undesired and unexpected Ctrl+? combinations.
Posted by kingchicken on 1/30/2014 at 12:55 PM
It is still an issue in vs2012 update 3!!
just want to throw the virtual machine out of the window which I can't!!
Posted by Spaceface on 7/15/2013 at 3:20 AM
Although this is marked as fixed it happens in VS 2012 Update 3. Occurs when stopping a debug session sometimes. Workaround so far is Ctrl+TAB twice (haven't tried just once yet).
Posted by Sean Ennis on 3/11/2013 at 12:11 PM
This is a major pain... I've already tossed one keyboard because of it.
My work around was similar to Mick's except I mapped restart to CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F5 instead of just deleting the mapping. Then I mapped both SHIFT-f% and CTRL-SHIFT-F5 to top debugging
Posted by Mick Lang on 12/17/2012 at 6:51 PM
Well for those of you working with VS2010 and like me about 5 times a day press Shift - F5 only to stop debugging only to get Crtl-Shift-F5 restart, my suggestion is..

1. Go to the keyboard options.
2. Search for Debug.Restart and remove the Crtl-Shift-F5 mapping.
Posted by sshillaker on 8/15/2012 at 5:49 AM
+1 for Mick Lang's comments. This bug is intensely annoying and completely blocks work on the affected machine. I had thought that paying for a product meant that bugs like this wouldn't slip through and would be fixed quickly when they did. Clearly not. I'm not seeing much that differentiates Visual Studio from open source IDEs for C/C++ development.
Posted by p6345uk on 8/8/2012 at 9:23 AM
Mega annoying
Posted by Mick Lang on 3/20/2012 at 8:51 PM
I think you guys should have released a fix for this in 2010, making us wait 2 years for a fix for such a basic bug and what about those who have purchased 2010 and won't be purchasing 2012?

The number of times I've pressed Shift - F5 to stop debugging only for Visual Studio to do Crtl-Shift-F5 which restarts the application.

Having to context switch from fixing your own bugs to working a way around Microsoft's bugs is an extremely unproductive way to work. The accumulated time lost by Visual Studio developers due to this bug is probably in the thousands of hours.

This is really poor. Whoever is doing your testing and determining the priority of bugs for Visual Studio obviously uses the mouse heavily and views the keyboard as a secondary input device, which for the majority of good software developers is completely untrue.
Posted by kdn on 1/23/2012 at 7:51 AM
Oh, I forgot...I found one instance in which this is consistently reproducible (tried it on multiple machines):

Firstly, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but when I try to type in the editor while debugging I get a popup that says:
"Changes are not allowed while code is running."

Assuming you get that, all you need to do to create this issue is to paste into the editor with CTRL V
Posted by kdn on 1/23/2012 at 7:47 AM
I thought I was going insane! My IT guys thought it was my keyboard until it started to happen at home. Then we finally narrowed it down to VS and went in search of a fix. I too try to use the mouse as little as possible while developing and this is killing me!

How can this be marked as fixed if there is no fix for it?
Posted by SERTW on 9/16/2011 at 11:12 AM
Are we seriously not going to be getting this fixed til VS 2012/2013 (which I won't be able to switch to anyway)? This is insanely annoying.
Posted by gongchengshi on 9/16/2011 at 10:15 AM
I have Microsoft's Chinese (Simplified, PRC) IME installed but I still experience this problem in English mode. Could this be part of the problem?
Posted by gongchengshi on 9/16/2011 at 10:11 AM
I'm still experiencing this. What is the version number of VS2010 that includes this fix?
Posted by AllWires on 6/25/2011 at 12:17 PM
This is listed as fixed but I am having this problem too.
Posted by Tom McKearney on 6/22/2011 at 9:28 AM
Has this been rolled out yet? I experience this very frequently (daily). I'd LOVE to have a patch to fix this. I'm a huge keyboard user and this really sucks... especially when I hit Shift-F5 to kill debugging and it -immediately- relaunches the debgger, thinking I've hit Ctrl-Shift-F5 (Restart)... This is REALLY annoying
Posted by BenGG on 4/20/2011 at 1:22 AM
Could this be the cause as well?

Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Set up Sticky Keys

Found there that the default in windows is sticky keys, switching it off may solve the problem...we'll see.
Posted by BenGG on 4/20/2011 at 1:11 AM
Just posted this behavior in another forum

Posted by Microsoft on 10/1/2010 at 3:35 PM
Hi romkyns, TimwiTerby, Mertsch, and Daniel,

Thank you all for reporting this bug and for your comments. I'm writing to let you know that we have already checked in a fix for this bug, so I'm resolving it as Fixed. Although you won't see the changes in VS 2010 RTM, this 'sticky' Ctrl key issue should be solved in the next major release of Visual Studio.

Thanks for using Visual Studio 2010 and sending your feedback!

Brittany Behrens
Program Manager, Visual Studio Professional
Posted by Daniel Smith on 9/28/2010 at 2:24 AM
I wonder if this could be the core issue behind all the other issues that have been reported recently with the editor failing to accept key presses, cursor keys etc.?
Posted by Microsoft on 9/27/2010 at 12:49 AM
Thanks for your feedback. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by IAmMartin on 9/25/2010 at 11:43 AM
Most times when I experience this issue its directly after a debug session, while VS2010 is going from Debug view into Normal view
Posted by Microsoft on 9/24/2010 at 5:01 PM
Posted by TimwiTerby on 9/24/2010 at 7:27 AM
I can reproduce this bug exactly as described.

I have seen this bug many times and it causes huge amounts of frustration because it is not obvious what is going on. Visual Studio suddenly appears to behave very erratically.
Posted by Spaceface on 7/15/2013 at 3:20 AM