Cannot inspect local variables while debugging in VS2010. CXX0017 "Symbol not found" error by EV Group Software Department

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 10/14/2010 6:25:39 AM

Hi,

We have following problem:

#include <atlstr.h>
#include <math.h>
int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{

a++;
        a = sin(1.2*a);
        _tprintf(_T("%d"), a);
    }
    return 0;
}

Put breakpoint on a line with "a++;", start debugging and try to inspect variable "a". You will get "Symbol 'a' not found" error.

CXX0017: Error: symbol " a" not found.

Tested under Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and Windows XP Pro, Visual Studio 2010 Professional, Win32 Console Application project, Debug build.

Refer to:

Thanks,

Matthias
Posted by Kevin Myers 1 on 6/27/2014 at 5:19 AM
This has been an ongoing problemwe have had for 2 years now on 2010.
Upgrade to 2013? really...? This is a solution for a tool, not a product!
We do not casually update VS versions. Please produce a hotfix for 2010.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2014 at 12:17 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. This issue has been fixed in Visual Studio 2013. You can install a trial version of Visual Studio 2013 with the fix from: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9832436
Posted by Minok on 6/15/2012 at 11:31 AM
I have a solution that worked for 'me'. (Win7 x64, VS Ultimate 2010 SP1 with all updates as of 6/15/2012 installed).

Even with the the updates I was still getting this case of the locally defined function variables not being known in the debugger watch. This wasn't a class/namespace issue, but purely a functional variable. The function was not part of a class, just declared as a C function and inside the function I declared a "float x" and then tried to inspect that variable "x" and got this issue.

What worked for me was to manually delete the PDB files. My guess, VS2010 got confused about PDB files or was not rebuilding the PDB file as necessary.

Debugger: Modules view was showing that for my exe it was loading the correct PDB file from the Debug project folder. So in the Debug project folder, I searched for all PDB files: got 2, the project .pdb and vc100.pdb. I deleted them both, then rebuilt the project, so VS2010 had to rebuild the PDB files at that point.

Now when I hit the break point after having declared my "float x", the debugger knows about the variable.

So if you have the issue, delete the PDB files in your solution manually so VS2010 is forced to rebuild them. That may fix your issue.
Posted by Minok on 6/13/2012 at 5:14 PM
Well, its June 13, 2012, 1.5+ years after Microsoft claimed to have found the root cause, and 'fixed the problem'.

And yet, its STILL OCCURRING!

If there is a fix, where is the link to the hotfix/patch to VC++ 2010 to correct this issue.
Posted by Samuel T. Haven on 5/17/2012 at 9:42 PM
Well, this bug is known for almost 1 and a half year ... and there is still no fix for it. I've VS 2010 including SP1 and can absolutely second that bugreport!
Posted by datanewb on 3/30/2011 at 3:51 PM
I'm actually having this problem as well. I'm current on all of the updates and running windows 7. I'm wondering if I should try a fresh install of VS2010 or if an Add-on is to blame???
Posted by Jason Steenstra-Pickens on 2/10/2011 at 7:34 PM
Still no word on the hotfix? Are you freaking serious?!

I just tried out SP1 Beta and it fixed some of the problems but not all of them.

MS: At least let us know how to get the hotfix.
Posted by Castorix on 1/25/2011 at 11:39 AM
This *** very annoying*** bug is always unsolved :-(
Posted by Luca Bussolino on 12/21/2010 at 7:36 AM
Same problem here ... YongKang Zhu , where are you?
Posted by mahendrent on 12/13/2010 at 1:42 AM
Any response from Microsoft?
We're also looking for the hotfix.
Visual Studio Debugging is pointless with this problem - have to resort to TRACE!
Posted by tom_mai78101 on 12/10/2010 at 2:53 AM
I can't find the hotfix as of now in the Downloads page.

Do you suppose the hotfix is included in Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 beta? (Some Microsoft VC++ team mentioned this hotfix will be in a "new release"...)
Posted by brkicz on 12/9/2010 at 3:40 AM
Where is the hotfix?
Posted by EV Group Software Department on 12/1/2010 at 2:40 AM
It's pathetic!

Searched again for 1 hour at microsoft connect...

Why is the bug state set to fixed when nobody cares about publishing a hotfix?

Currently we're not able to debug our c++ projects!

We've to create local debug variables almost everywhere to debug certain state variables.

Thx to MS for its selfless efforts!
Posted by Keith-in-LosAltos on 11/21/2010 at 12:44 PM
Still looking for hotfix for this problem -- don't see it in:
Posted by thomasmcleod on 11/18/2010 at 9:51 PM
Looking for that hotfix. Regression test later.
Posted by EV Group Software Department on 11/16/2010 at 12:16 AM
Is there already a hotfix released ? And where could i download it?
Posted by chinaski on 11/10/2010 at 5:54 AM
From where to get this hotfix ?
Posted by Microsoft on 10/27/2010 at 10:49 AM
The problem has been known to us. We have found the root cause and fixed the problem. A hotfix will be released for VS 2010.

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug.

YongKang Zhu
VC++ CodeGen and Tools
Posted by Microsoft on 10/14/2010 at 6:45 PM
Posted by Gaurap on 6/27/2012 at 11:29 AM
This is Fixed in Visual Studio 2010 SP1.
Posted by Minok on 6/15/2012 at 11:31 AM

Posted by paulymath on 3/1/2012 at 10:47 AM
I should clarify that the above workaround only helps sometimes, and is only for the Watch window. For mouse-over inspection you're as screwed as before. Such crappy tools :\
Posted by paulymath on 3/1/2012 at 10:24 AM
Try fully qualifying the variables that don't work with their namespace in the watch window. (not g_VisualStudioSucks but instead TrueStatements::g_VisualStudioSucks). This worked for me in VS 2008.
Posted by 后排男生 on 12/18/2010 at 5:20 AM
i mean solving waitting problems of users, M$ can change it's label from 'hotfix' to 'coldfix'.