Output window does not show all of the output from post-build commands by dputnam1

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 10/14/2010 2:21:15 PM

Under Visual Studio 2008, the output window would show the command line and results from running a post-build command - very handy for quickly debugging complex DOS batch commands. With 2010 this appears to be broken. In the example below, the output from ILMerge never gets shown, but the output from 'move' does.
Posted by Chuan Anh on 8/28/2013 at 12:58 AM
The bug has been closed as "Not Reproducible", does it mean "won't fix" for VS 2010?
Posted by Microsoft on 3/24/2011 at 4:56 PM
This is not a simple fix. It was deemed too risky to fix for SP1, as there was simply not enough runway for us to complete the dev work and do the appropriate level of testing across all the components in VS which would potentially be affected.

We are currently working on synchronization issues, and hope to have fix completed and tested by the next release of VS.

The basic issue is that the UI thread is only pumped between builds. The system eventually does catch up, and nothing should be lost. It has an unfortunate side effect of making the UI appear to hang or freeze.

If you are seing a hang that never comes back, it could be that ILMerge (or some other post build step) is expecting input. This is unfortunate, because it is very difficult for you to find, debug, and fix in your post build event.

If you are seeing a hang that does not come back, and you are sure that there is nothing in your post build step that is literally hanging the system (like requesting input), then please create a new Connect bug, upload dumps from the hang, and the project file and build logs, or other information that would allow us to repro the issue.
Posted by Andrew Bushnell [Autodesk] on 11/12/2010 at 10:58 AM
Hello, we too are seeing hangs etc. during our builds and do have several post build events in our projects.. Is this issue getting fixed anytime soon? When you say make use of the "start" command, do you mean right in the post build event itself, use the "start" to start the batch file vs. call etc.?
Posted by dputnam1 on 10/27/2010 at 6:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. I understand that I would still get error output from the batch command, I should have been more clear that what I really wanted was the batch command itself, with all of the macros expanded. Changing the verbosity in Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->Build and Run gave me that. Thanks!
Posted by Metal450 on 10/21/2010 at 1:02 AM
Does that mean this will definitely not be fixed in VS2010?

I was using the trial version, and that's the only issue that I was waiting to hear about before making a purchase. If a hotfix is released, I can't wait to migrate over to 2010. But because I do so much remote debugging (often over VPN, in which case the postbuild event can be quite slow), the inability to monitor postbuild events as they run would be a game killer, and force me to stay with VS2008.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/18/2010 at 3:58 PM
dputnam, what I get is nothing when ILMerge works, and something in the output window (the details) when it fails. That sounds like what you want, so it's odd.
As a workaround, you should be able to dial up verbosity in tools>options>project>build.

As for Metal450, it sounds like you have quite a different issue -- you see the UI hanging up during the post build event. This is indeed an issue in VS2010, and it's very unfortunate. All I can suggest is to do the work asynchronously (use the batch file "start" command in the post build event) if possible. This is definitely something we're looking at fixing in VS11.

thanks
Dan
Posted by Microsoft on 10/14/2010 at 8:32 PM
Thanks for your feedback.
We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/14/2010 at 6:49 PM
Posted by Metal450 on 10/14/2010 at 3:46 PM
I'm experiencing the same bug, and it's led me to revert back to VS2008 (in other words, not purchase the full version of 2010).

A more detailed description of my exact issue can be found here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3800587/visual-studio-2010-output-panel-not-updating-postbuild-output
Posted by rami_ on 7/6/2011 at 11:49 PM
I uploaded a patch to MSBuild Extension Pack that implements a custom msbuild task called SmartExec that works around this issue.

Patch Id 9878