Silverlight 4 crashes on Netflix in IE9, Firefox 3.6.11 and Chrome 7 by suirauqa

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 10/24/2010 6:41:59 PM

The Silverlight plugin (both v.3 and v.4) is crashing each of the three browsers, IE9 beta, Firefox 3.6.11 and Chrome (v.6 and v.7 both), when accessing Netflix Instant Movie watching. The buffering gets stuck at 0% (for me; various other users have reported in various forums getting stuck at various percentages), and then the browser crashes. FF and Chrome have the decency to mention the crash; IE just crashes. This problem started occurring just this week, out of the blue, and now happens every time. Like clockwork.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/3/2013 at 8:28 AM
Thanks for your feedback!

We have reviewed this issue, and unfortunately are not able to address it in the currently released version of Silverlight.

Thanks,
Silverlight team
Posted by ellie1922 on 10/11/2012 at 11:59 PM
I have tried all 3 browers; I have the same results - the moment I try to start a video the broswer crashes and closes. I have uninstalled FF and IE9 and Silverlight. Did a disk clean sequence. The reinstalled silverlight, FF and IE8 -- nothing changed. Silverlight crashes every time!! Extremely frustrating and this only start happening about a week ago, prior to last week, I had no trouble. My 2-year-old grand daughter is now watching movies on my iphone cuz it works fine with Netflix!!
Posted by anonymous98649867 on 8/28/2012 at 11:02 AM
Windows xp sp3.
Pentium D 930
3gb ram
Nvidia GT 430 1gb video card

hope that helps.
Posted by anonymous98649867 on 8/28/2012 at 10:58 AM
i have a similar problem, but for me the video will buffer to 20% and try to load for a minute or two, then silverlight crashes. i close the windows error and click on the reload link in netflix and the video will work after that. only seems to want to crash when i load a new video or restart firefox. i dont use IE or chrome.
Posted by happygoblin4000 on 6/2/2012 at 7:51 AM
Im having the same problem. its caused me to cancel my netflix account. 4 seconds of a video isnt worth the headache
Posted by kdfoust on 4/19/2011 at 12:26 AM
I am also experiencing the same problems with the same programs, except that it can crash at almost any time while watching the movie. IE will reload 2 or 3 times and eventually Windows crashes.
Posted by Goose0616 on 4/10/2011 at 5:11 PM
I am having the same issue on all three browsers. I have gone as far as completly removing Silverlight from my computer and reinstalling. Still getting the same issues. On all three browsers the program will buffer and begin to run and at 5 to 15 seconds in it crashes. Error on FF is Silverlight plug in crashed, same on chrome.
Posted by mesonsdad on 2/9/2011 at 8:41 AM
I've experienced the above symptoms w/o trying Firefox - my problems have occurred with IE and Chrome.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/24/2010 at 7:23 PM