Certain keyboard keys stop working when using VS2010 by Will_Larkin

as Duplicate Help for as Duplicate

Opened: 10/26/2010 8:21:34 AM

When I first debug my application in VS2010, the Enter key on the number pad and the Backspace no longer work. After I stop debugging they still don't register until I close VS2010 and reopen it.
Posted by iestyn on 12/9/2011 at 9:54 AM
I have experienced this intermittently in both VS2005 and VS2010. It definitely seems likely to be a broken state related to keyboard shortcuts/chords. Starting to record a macro seems to get keys working again, but only temporarily (and only once). The only workaround that works for me is restarting Visual Studio (not alt+enter).
Posted by Microsoft on 7/25/2011 at 1:19 PM
Thank you for passing along this issue to us. At this point, we are pulling together this and other feedback as part of our planning and evaluation for the next release. We know that our customers are the most qualified people to help us learn how to make our products better, and we greatly appreciate hearing from you.
Posted by Kensai_ on 6/24/2011 at 10:43 PM
I experienced this problem as well. VS showed an expection message, so I ran it with the /log parameter, and got the ActivityLog.xml which I uploaded here. It doesn't show up, though. I hope it wasn't lost.
Posted by DigitalJustin on 6/15/2011 at 11:51 AM
I just had the issue that I thought was related to this happen again. Yesterday in VS2010 SP1, but today for the first time in SSMS 2008 CU7.

After more digging.. I put on the onscreen keyboard on.. because keys like forward slash would result in a é, etc. Single quote would have to be hit twice and would result in a two different characters, etc.

Well literally with the onscreen keyboard visible.. clicking into SSMS the keyboard layout would change.. and clicking into a different app it would change back.

I did a search based on this and found.. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/484248/visual-studio-appears-to-randomly-adopt-american-keyboard-layout

Hitting Left Alt+Shift worked.. I have since disabled that in Advanced Key Settings in Windows. Another programmer I talked to found that there is also this: Visual Studio settings > and select the International Settings pane. Make sure the Language is set to "Same as Microsoft Windows".

Perhaps my issue wasn't the same as this issue or maybe it was and this is the root of the troubles for others who have different keyboard layouts installed in windows? (Mine has US English, CA French and CA Multilingual.. even though my keyboard is only english).
Posted by Sundance15 on 6/8/2011 at 12:58 PM
This is happening for both myself and a colleague quite a bit, but with no consistency to help reproduce the issue. We are both on VS 2010 SP1Rel. We are both working on a solution with 9 class projects and two web apps in the solution and a mixture of VB and C#.

Today he tried to comment a block of text using Ctrl+E+C, and some of his keys quit working, mainly the nav keys - left/right/up/down, PgUp/PgDn, Del, Tab. Home jumps to the first file already open in the list, and End jumps to the last file already open in the list.

The Ctrl-Tab workaround did not work.
Posted by EvilDr on 5/26/2011 at 5:38 AM
This issue (or very similar) is also reported at the following links:

Could they be combined given them a significant Vote boost?
Posted by wurkerB on 5/4/2011 at 3:20 PM
I experience this a lot; even after VS2010 SP1 install. It's happened to me while modifying C# and JS files. Usually, it occurs more often after debugging catches an exception (C#) or runtime error (js), and I stop debugging. The keyboard works for all other applications, just not Visual Studio. I typically have to close VS and re-open to resolve, but today, that has provided no relief; and restarting my computer became the only cure. This has happened more often after installing SP1 and viewing JS files with intellisense (for Extjs) references to local files. It's hard to believe a MS developer hasn't observed/reported such an issue. Aren't MS developers using their own VS?
Posted by stmarti on 3/30/2011 at 12:01 AM
Randomly happens for me (not related to debugging). Left/right/up/down/backspace not works, all other keys works. I'm also using Jerry T's workaround.

(win7 x64, vs pro 2010 or 2010 sp1, extensions: ankhSVN, Enterprise Lib v5 configuration editor, NuGet Package Manager, PowerCommands for VS 2010)

Posted by djarekg on 11/2/2010 at 1:04 PM
Is thee a hotfix for this. I too experience this is a lot.
Posted by Jerry T on 11/2/2010 at 1:02 PM
I (and my coworker) typically see all navigation keys stop working in a code window. Can't arrow left/right, PgUp/PgDn, etc.

It happens randomly and we haven't found any sort of pattern to it.
Posted by TwasBrillig on 11/1/2010 at 4:58 AM
Please add your comments and votes to this ticket, which has the most votes of the 3 similar so-far:
Posted by Microsoft on 10/29/2010 at 1:50 AM
Hello,

Sorry for bothering. Is there any update?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks you,
Posted by Microsoft on 10/26/2010 at 7:40 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. In order to research the issue reported, we must first reproduce in our labs. Unfortunately, we are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided. We tried to repro with the following steps:

1. Create a Web Application with default tempate
2. Debug the app,
3. Try to use the Enter key on the number pad and the Backspace key

Results:
Both of them work well.

Could you please provide us with the following information?

1. Help to point out the steps omited or mistook.
2. Attach a vedio to show this issue
3. A sample project zip if possiable.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us this information as quickly as possible.

Posted by Microsoft on 10/26/2010 at 9:22 AM
Posted by Jerry T on 11/2/2010 at 1:01 PM
I've found that using <Ctrl-Tab> to switch to a different open code window and then using <Ctrl-Tab> to go back to the original code window works most of the time for me, but not always. Sometimes it does require closing VS 2010 down completely and reopening the solution.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size