Debugging Silverlight on Vista x64 by BeeLabs

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 11/14/2010 6:36:06 PM

error message reads:
     Unable to start debugging.
     Cannot locate Windows Internet Explorer.

I tried different configurations. The error shows up on:
Vista Pro x64 SP1 or SP2
VS2010 Express or Ultimate
Silverlight 3 or 4
Multiple web browsers installed, but IE 8.0.6001.18975 is the default.

I have uninstalled and re-installed nearly everything, except the OS, Vista 64bit.

Clearing the Silverlight checkbox at ProjectWebSite > PropertiesPages > StartOptions > Debuggers allows me to debug (F5) the website in Internet Explorer, but I know the Silverlight debugger is not running now.

I checked this report of the same error,
My comment (BeeLabs) is currently the last with no reply. I dubt that I have the same problem because debugging ASP.NET without Silverlight debugger works fine. So it is not a issue of "locating" Internet Explorer.

I have marked this Error Report Feedback and a Blocking Issue. I assume this means the issue is stopping from doing something vs. a performance issue.
Posted by Xavier Decoster (RealDolmen) on 5/2/2011 at 4:38 AM
I'm having this issue as well on a Windows 7 x64 with VS2010 Premium and SL3 and SL4 SDKs installed (latest SL4 dev runtime).

When starting a Silverlight debug session, I get the following error: "Unable to start debugging. Cannot locate Microsoft Internet Explorer".

When I uncheck Silverlight debugging in my web project, all works fine.
I think this is related to VS/SL expecting a 32bit browser (IE 9 x32 is my default browser). I've also set IE9 x32 as default "Browse with..." setting in VS2010. Didn't help however.

Running devenv /log doesn't reveal any error information.
Posted by BeeLabs on 11/15/2010 at 11:20 AM
Virtual machine installation does not show the error. Installation steps:
1. Windows XP Pro 32bit SP3, activated, no updates
2. Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, custom install (C# and Web Developer only)
3. Silverlight 4 Tools for Visual Studio

Silverlight debugging works smoothly. Virtual hard disk size is 4.9GB. I can keep working on the VM until performance becomes an issue.

Can anyone help me fix the original setup on Vista Business (x64)?
Posted by BeeLabs on 11/15/2010 at 4:36 AM
While I setting up the virtual machine, I checked debugging Silverlight 3.5 on VS2008SP1. The same error shows up. I am nearly sure the error related to debudding on a 64-bit windows.
Posted by BeeLabs on 11/15/2010 at 4:08 AM
I have uninstalled IE8 and rolled it back to IE7. Then installed security updates. Restarted system. Error is the same.

I have repaired Silverlight tools for VS2010 and installed the Silverlight Developer. Error is the same.

Finally I installed VS LightSwitch Beta, but no luck fixing the error.

My next attempt is to setup a virtual machine with Win XP SP3 32-bit. Then do clean installations of the Blend 4, VS2010 and the Silverlight dev requirements. This will take some time. I will update here when I get results.

If you have a workaround, it would save me working on a slow virtual machine.

Posted by Microsoft on 11/14/2010 at 7:22 PM