Allow Design View for MVC3 and Razor View Engine by RichD15

Resolved
 as By Design Help for as By Design

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 1/7/2011 4:50:35 AM

Suggestion: VST 2010 Ultimate - Implement Design view for MVC3 and new Razor engine.

Background: The design view was available in AS 2010 for all previous versions of MVC, but not in MVC 3 with Razor. It appears that it does not recognize the new razor syntax or .cshtml. The only way to view design changes to the views is to run the debugger each time and view the page in a browser; or rename the .cshtml to .aspx.

I do not usually need to use the design view a lot, but it is nice, on occasion, to be able to quickly get feedback on an HTML design change or zero in on a specific font, look, or column. I think this is something that should be considered for the final release or service update for MVC3. The design view would be handy when working with, or designing the views.
Posted by VB-Dude on 12/20/2011 at 11:21 AM
I know this is "resolved" but I 2nd this request. Seems like an easy request to fill and would be TREMENDOUSLY helpful to have a design view. coming from Classic ASP, MVC with Razor and a Designer even as rudimentary as FrontPage, would be SOOOO helpful. As it is now, it is Copy Paste to another designer looking at it and them making html changes and then pasting it back.. Having something integrated in VS to see the "user's view" would make MVC COMPLETE!
Posted by Dostoevsky on 12/7/2011 at 11:55 AM
Consider the following scenario: I want to have a service that will send emails using specific templates.
Templates are html-based. I'd love to use Razor for those templates but looks like it's not designer-friendly right now for my specific case. One way to solve that is to use aspx templates, but I feel like this is not the best option possible.
Please consider scenario mentioned when prioritizing implementation of razor designer capability. Thanks !
Posted by Ramesh Sambari on 11/23/2011 at 3:59 AM
If design view doesn't recognize RAZOR syntax, if this is the only problem.... As RAZOR syntax starts with @, you can prevent that block to be rendered. I think working on that will give you a better idea implementing that.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/26/2011 at 9:02 AM
The design view is not planned to be enabled for Razor views. Instead other meassures to make it easier to work with the markup/code is being made. Thanks again for your feedback
Posted by Microsoft on 1/7/2011 at 4:58 AM
Posted by RichD15 on 1/7/2011 at 5:01 AM
Change .cshtml to .aspx. Do not use the Razor engine.