ContainerControl.UpdateFocusedControl Hang by chmarroc

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 1/24/2011 7:30:17 AM

This is probably a duplicate of bug 465620, reproduced by my favorite customer.

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue by building a new windows forms project from scratch.
Therefore, I have provided the application binaries.

We are currently building against .NET 3.5, but I produced a version running with .NET 4 on the fly and the problem is also reproduced there. The attached binaries use the .NET Framework 4.
Posted by chmarroc on 2/28/2011 at 11:30 PM
Thank you for investigating in this issue. I can understand decisions like this one.
However, instead of a generic link to the forums, a specific work around would be highly appreciated.
If such a work around cannot be provided, for whatever reason, it should be stated accordingly.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/28/2011 at 4:46 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. Customer feedback is a critical part of a successful, impactful software product. Unfortunately another part is the reality of schedules and the need to prioritize investments according to the objectives of the product. We have evaluated the issue that you have reported and at this point in the product's lifecycle, it does not meet the criteria to be addressed. This evaluation is carefully done and considers many aspects including the cost of the fix, implications of the change, and the number of reported instances of the issue.

Many customers have found it useful to discuss issues like this in the forums (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx) where Microsoft and other members of the community can recommend ways of achieving the behavior you are interested in.

The Windows Forms Product Team
Posted by chmarroc on 2/8/2011 at 3:37 AM
Sorry again for the troubles you are having with the reproduction.

I finally managed to isolate the issue so far that I could upload a Visual Studio 2008 solution (repro-sources-0.6.zip).
Please note the different reproduction steps described in the details.

This also answers your question about reproduction with .NET 3.5: It's reproducible.
It should be easy to convert the solution to .NET 4, if required.

Hoping you're happy with the sources.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/7/2011 at 2:54 PM
Hi chmarroc -

The project was unpacked to a local drive and I was not able to reproduce the issue. Please provide a project that isolates the issue further. Also, can you verify that you are experiencing this issue with .NET3.5 as well as .NET4?
Posted by chmarroc on 2/7/2011 at 5:11 AM
I am sorry for the inconvenience.
I think step 0 needs to be refined as:

0. Unpack to a local drive.

When running the program from a network drive, I can reproduce the issue you reported.

I'm sure I'd be able to isolate the issue, but it's a matter of time. In fact, I already invested one day to reproduce the issue and port the application to .NET 4.0, just to ensure not to report a resolved issue.

The rationale behind sending only the binaries was as follows:
1. A 3d party license is needed to build the project.
2. I imagined that stepping through the .NET Framework sources would be enough to understand what's going on for a developer at Microsoft.

Please let me know if the issue continues to resist being reproduced or you are not able to isolate the cause of failure.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/3/2011 at 9:35 PM
Hi chmarroc -

Can you clarify an aspect of your reproduction steps?

2. In the tree view, select the node labeled "Device"
Done.
3. Click on the blue gears in the toolbox
I see a button with blue gears in the toolbar - clicking it displays a Module Manager window.
4. Double-click on the blue gear labeled "Axis"
I see no such gear labeled Axis.

If I skip steps #3 and #4, I am unable to reproduce the issue. I understand that you have encountered difficulties with reproducing this issue with a smaller sample, but it would be easier to investigate issue if you are able to isolate the issue and supply us the project.
Posted by Lurker Indeed on 1/25/2011 at 5:50 PM
I get this issue as well: The call stack from cordbg is below:
Thread 0x1f80 Current State:GCUnsafe spot
8) System.Windows.Forms.Control::Select +0015[native] +0008[IL] in <Unknown Fil
e Name>:<Unknown Line Number>
9) System.Windows.Forms.SplitContainer::SelectNextActiveControl +0044[native] +
0075[IL] in <Unknown File Name>:<Unknown Line Number>
Posted by Microsoft on 1/24/2011 at 7:58 AM
Posted by chmarroc on 3/1/2011 at 1:55 AM
In this specific reproduction, there is a work around.
In application code, there is a callback indirectly called by ContainerControl.UpdateFocusedControl.
The callback possibly called TabControl.SelectTab(TabPage).
Omitting this call results in the application not longer hanging.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size