Visual Studio 2010 pinned document tab does not show file content by Phil Carson

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 2/1/2011 2:40:35 PM

I have had an on off issue that when using visual studio 2010 and ms power tools that when a document is pinned that the content of the document / file becomes invisible although the content can still be highlighted. I have also noticed some weirdness with tooltips when this happens (misplacement of the tooltip)
Posted by Microsoft on 3/31/2011 at 11:50 AM
I talked with the developer and we've had a few isolated reports of blank content when working with the extension. We haven't been able to isolate a particular repro in house but we'll continue to try and track down this issue. If we find a fix, I'll respond to this thread with the updated version of the Pro Power Tools.

Thanks,
Visual Studio Platform Team
Posted by mdisibio on 3/14/2011 at 9:02 PM
I have the same issue with the 10.0.20214.15 of the Productivity Tools Add-in. One additional detail that someone else mentioned is that this seems to happen when the "Show pinned tabs in separate row" option is activated. Also, seems to happen when 'many' tabs are pinned...can't say the magic number, but 2 or 3 pinned seem to not create the issue.
Posted by Phil Carson on 2/6/2011 at 8:43 PM
I was getting a similar problem (although without having to pin or unpin) so I unchecked the boxes and it seemed to then render. But then I went back in a rechecked the boxes waited for the issue to reoccur and then unchecked the boxes again but the issue continues to persist this time.

Have tried yet again repeating the exercise. This time it displayed correctly after unchecking the options and then closing one of the open documents. I have tried it again and I had to close multiple documents so it may be that it is linked to a particular document that needs to be closed.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/3/2011 at 2:52 PM
Can you try disabling hardware acceleration to see if that fixes the issue?

1. Click on Tools->Options
    2. Under Environment->General uncheck "Automatically adjust visual appearance based on client performance"
    3. Uncheck both the checkboxes below that one to disable rich visuals and hardware acceleration.

Thanks,
Weston Hutchins
Program Manager - VS Platform
Posted by Microsoft on 2/1/2011 at 11:41 PM
Thanks for your feedback.
We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/1/2011 at 3:00 PM
Posted by Phil Carson on 2/1/2011 at 2:53 PM
I have uploaded a short video so that you can see what is going on as this may be hard to reproduce. Also a bit wired is that I am able to go through and collapse sections in the document top to bottom which you shouldn't be able to do as the sections are nested and collapsing the outermost should hide all of the other sections (in this case)
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size