Crash on VS 2010 Start - Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. by cromwellryan

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 2/8/2011 4:49:07 AM

Visual Studio has started crashing hard on startup with the error "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

Friday I was successfully using VS 2010 Ultimate with the latest R#, but this started Sunday. First error to catch my eye was Event log entry:

***********
Faulting application name: DevEnv.exe, version: 10.0.30319.1, time stamp: 0x4ba1fab3
Faulting module name: System.Design.ni.dll, version: 4.0.30319.1, time stamp: 0x4ba1e1c2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000fc724
Faulting process id: 0xf98
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbc78bb0685fae
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\DevEnv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32\System.Design\0fedf245cd0239816f52fe60ee4e18b4\System.Design.ni.dll
Report Id: f03ac868-337e-11e0-ad74-0026b9c5d5d5
************

Ran ngen update at VS 2010 command prompt to no avail. Uninstalled latest R# 5.1, but that's not helped either.

/SafeMode and /ResetSettings have not helped either. They both crash though slightly differently. Safemode crashs with the same error. ResetSettings reports the error via WER without giving the Exception has been thrown... message box.

Posted by Jason Yousef on 8/29/2012 at 7:37 AM
Alright, I got that error too this morning, I restarted and it went away !!!!!
Posted by Jason Yousef on 7/6/2012 at 11:11 AM
I am also getting same error. and I do not have NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32 in my assembly folder.
Posted by jagannathpati on 4/16/2012 at 3:59 AM
Hi I am also getting same problem.But i do not have NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32 folder in my assembly folder.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/23/2011 at 4:16 PM
Thank you for your feedback - we are glad you were able to work around your issue.

If this issue still reproduces at your end, we would like to investigate it again. Please provide the exact steps/actions to reproduce the problem or preferably a project that reproduces the issue and we will re-investigate.

Thanks,
The Windows Forms Product Team
Posted by cromwellryan on 2/9/2011 at 7:33 AM
I was able to resolve the problem! Woohoo! I pulled the System.Design folder out of C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32 based on the event log information. VS started up from there. I kept the NGen'ed assembly and have attached it above if it helps.

I reran Ngen update which created the System.Design.ni.dll again and Visual Studio still starts up. Something about that other Ngen'ed assembly was causing the issue.
Posted by cromwellryan on 2/9/2011 at 7:00 AM
Of course retrying the same command works again works. Brilliant. Upload complete.
Posted by cromwellryan on 2/9/2011 at 5:33 AM
As I mention in the comment below I've tried to grab a dump, but none is created. Is my command incorrect?
Posted by Microsoft on 2/8/2011 at 6:11 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please attach a mini dump file and call stack to this feedback through our site to help us investigate the issue?

You can get detailed steps about how to get the dump file and call stack at http://blogs.msdn.com/debugger/archive/2009/12/30/what-is-a-dump-and-how-do-i-create-one.aspx.

Or you can download a Visual Studio 2010 Diagnostic Tool from http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/e8649e35-26b1-4e73-b427-c2886a0705f4. You can get detailed description about how to use it to collect dump file.

You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password: #Tejy))YPc

Please use "FeedbackID-641895.zip" as prefix of the file name.

If you could not create a dump file, could you please upload screenshot steps to this issue?

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Microsoft on 2/8/2011 at 4:58 AM
Posted by cromwellryan on 2/8/2011 at 4:49 AM
Should also mention I cannot get a dump via procdump. I used the command:
procdump.exe -e -h -ma -x "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\C
ommon7\IDE\devenv.exe" devenv.dmp