"Attach to Process" fails to list "w3wp.exe" even though it is clearly running by DankS

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 2/28/2011 8:51:16 AM

I've had this problem for a while now both in VS2008 and VS2010. Visual Studio will sometimes refuse to list a running "w3wp.exe" process in the "Attach to process" dialog. It is just missing from the list even though task manager shows it as running. This happens sometimes in as little as a few minutes of developing, but sometimes takes an hour or so. I cannot seem to put my finger on the exact repro steps, which I know makes it that much more difficult to debug.

The only way to get Visual Studio to recognize "w3wp.exe" when it gets into this state is to exit Visual Studio and start it again, at which time "w3wp.exe" appears and I have no problem attaching.

NOTES:

* I have both "Show processes from all users" and "Show processes in all sessions" checked in the attach to process dialog.
    * The "Attach to:" mode is "Automatic: Native code" and I am attaching to the local machine. Selecting other modes manually does not fix the problem - I have tried them all.
    * The "w3wp.exe" is DEFINITELY running (task manager / process explorer show that it is) and I have hit the pages I am developing through a web browser to be sure.
    * I DO NOTHING ELSE (no web page hits, no iisreset, etc...) other than restarting Visual Studio to get the process to appear in the attach dialog.
    * "w3wp.exe" is running as a different user so that the "Attach to process" dialog will prompt me if it is OK to attach. Answering yes will result in a successful attach (when the process is listed).
    * I have tried both "iisreset" and killing "w3wp.exe" to get it to appear, but to no avail. After resetting and before I start the attach dialog, I hit the pages with a web browser to make sure that "w3wp.exe" is restarted and running.
    * I am running Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and the only 3rd-party add-on I have installed is JetBrains ReSharper v5.1
Posted by haianxd on 2/7/2012 at 5:17 AM
I am having exactly the same problem. Has anyone found a solution?
Posted by Dan Amiga on 8/4/2011 at 12:28 AM
Any progress with this? we are facing the exact same issue.
Posted by DankS on 3/17/2011 at 9:08 PM
Guys, you have to give me more than 7 days! I have been out of the country for the last week and a half (without email access) and have just seen these messages...
Posted by Microsoft on 3/15/2011 at 10:04 PM
Hi, given that we have not heard back from you in 7 days. We will go ahead and close this Connect Issue. If you get a chance to review and provide the information requested earlier, you can go ahead and reactivate this issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/9/2011 at 9:54 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a video of this issue so that we can conduct further research?

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team

Posted by Microsoft on 2/28/2011 at 6:56 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/28/2011 at 9:14 AM
Posted by Sarathy Sakshi - MSFT on 3/13/2012 at 9:51 PM
A (not really acceptable) workaround is to restart VS.