VS 2010 SP1 installation fails by Egor Pavlikhin

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 3/10/2011 7:40:49 PM

VS 2010 SP1 installation fails, referring to TFS for some reason, although I only have 2010 Professional installed and no TFS or anything else.

I uninstalled VS 2010 completely and did a new install, but SP1 still won't install correctly. I am running "setup.exe" from the installation DVD.
Posted by CProcter on 1/11/2012 at 3:51 PM
Like Glennpd, I had the installer hang at VS10sp1 - KB983509 for hours.
The 2nd time it happeend, I noticed that I hadn't connected the laptop to our wifi; after connecting the install completed successfully.
Posted by Russian Developer on 10/25/2011 at 2:15 PM
I detect this as lost dependences in Installer/
Posted by ray,han on 9/18/2011 at 7:24 PM
I have tried a few times to install VS2010 SP1, but failed. I'm unable to download ISO (keep failing) so used web installer. VS2010 pro installed in Win7 64. It has been downloading for 24 hours, but still. Very frustrating. Anyone got workarounds?

Posted by Stevishere on 9/6/2011 at 5:53 PM
You are kidding me. I just saw after I made my post a minute ago that this issue is Closed?!?!

Not according to a quick Google about the issue.
Posted by Stevishere on 9/6/2011 at 5:51 PM
Just finished my 3rd attempt at VS2010 SP1 Install. This time I tried based on the article in July 2011 issue of MSDN Magazine. This link (hnsl.mn/VS2010SP1Bundle.) was supposed to get exactly what your system needs. No luck.

Maybe MS can release Service Pack 1 on VS2010SP1?

Or better yet, how about a patch for SP1 Install?

Call me when you get it fixed.

Thanks!
Posted by spongman on 9/4/2011 at 10:34 PM
i just got this problem.

i'd recommend that Microsoft just close this issue and ignore it. oh, wait...
Posted by Jean-Claude Bertrand on 9/2/2011 at 10:01 PM
I had it when I installed my laptop in may.... now It still happens in September installing my pc! Whta's that.... ?
Posted by jfitz1959 on 7/4/2011 at 1:34 PM
How this be closed? It's still an issue... I just tried it today (7/4/11) and the exact sequence of events as described by all these people still happens.
Posted by MCetlinski on 7/1/2011 at 1:19 PM
This issue STILL EXISTS. When are we going to get a fix for it?
Posted by Price Brattin on 6/11/2011 at 4:48 AM
I too have the situation in which VS2010 SP1 will not completely install. I have a brand new laptop and I upgraded it to Win7 Ultimate. I installed VS2010, SQL2008 R2, and VB6. Then I started the download of VS2010 SP1 and the install progress bar stopped at about 25% and stayed there for 8 hours. Click cancel and it says it is rollback for about 2 hours so I rebooted the machine. Tried the download and install again the next evening and it happened the same way again.

Why is this issue closed?
Posted by JohnnyG321 on 5/14/2011 at 3:44 PM
I've experienced exactly the same problem. Not only does the installation fail with the 'network resource unavailable' message, but so does the removal. It leaves VS in a damaged state. The only resource is to uninstall VS and reinstall it.

I've wasted the whole day on this (9 hours and counting) and all I wanted to do was write some code. In my frustration, I find myself dreaming of being able to sue MS for my lost time. One can only dream.
Posted by TJHerring on 4/29/2011 at 10:21 AM
I'm experiencing the "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" failure also. I'm attempting to install SP1 from the MU DVD image downloaded from MSDN this morning.

So far I've had it fail on two separate MSI packages, both of which seem to be related to VSTO.
Posted by Hale on 4/9/2011 at 9:10 AM
Im having the same problem.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'VS10sp1_x86.msi' in the box below"

Posted by Glennpd on 4/5/2011 at 6:49 AM
Yesterday I started the VS2010 SP1 installation and it has stalled at VS10sp1 - KB983509 for 22 hours. This morning I selected cancel and the "rollback" has been proceeding for nearly four hours. My VS2010 installation is located on my D: drive. I am running Windows 7 Home deluxe SP1. Do I need to uninstall VS2010 and re-install on C:? Only after that will the SP1 install correctly?
Posted by Microsoft on 3/25/2011 at 12:15 AM
Hi, given that we have not heard back from you in 7 days. We will go ahead and close this Connect Issue. If you get a chance to review and provide the information requested earlier, you can go ahead and reactivate this issue.
Posted by Rob Ainscough on 3/21/2011 at 3:44 PM
When I try to install VS 2010 SP1 (downloaded today 3/21/2011) from MSDN site I get about 20% into the install and then the following Dialog box appears:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

"Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'silverlight_sdk.msi' in the box below."

Use source:
c:\88ccb09f72d27e7c46\

Clearly the VS 2010 SP1 installer seems to have been constructed incorrectly using references in the installer that look like they were based on Microsoft's networks? Big oops here Microsoft.

Rob
Posted by Microsoft on 3/17/2011 at 10:19 PM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/17/2011 at 12:43 AM
It may help if you provide us with:
a setup log file

You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team

Posted by Naeem 19 on 3/16/2011 at 3:42 AM
I was also facing the same issue, so I uninstall all the tools and extensions and then after running VS2010 repair also I finally succeeded to complete the SP1 update.
Posted by Stonesmart on 3/15/2011 at 2:23 AM
I'm experiencing the same issue..

"Install failed on product (Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 Object Model - ENU). Msi Log."
Posted by Microsoft on 3/13/2011 at 11:50 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Jason Yuan on 3/11/2011 at 8:15 AM
我的也是这样,下载了sp1的补丁,装了快一个小时啊还装不上,就卡在VS10sp1-KB983509上了,进度条死活不动,悲剧啊。
Posted by zenit1 on 3/11/2011 at 5:37 AM
Hey
I have exactly the same problem with following message:
"Patch (E:\MSDN\vs2010\SP1\VS10sp1-KB983509.msp;E:\MSDN\vs2010\SP1\VS10sp1-KB983509-Pro.msp) Install failed on product (Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 Object Model - ENU)"
I have no TFS on my computer and also I have reinstall VS2010, but still received the same error.
What to do?

Best regards

Serge
Posted by Microsoft on 3/11/2011 at 1:29 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:
a setup log file

You can get the log files with the following steps:
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team