Unable to Extend or Uninstall VS 2010 Pro Trial version by dotScience

as External Help for as External

Opened: 4/10/2011 3:53:16 PM

Update 4: April 19: I strongly disagree with the closing of this issue: please see comments below.

~

Update 3: April 16: Please see three comments added today to this thread for specific responses to comments from MS, thanks.

In these comments you can also read the strange story of how I was able to install VS 2010 Studio Ultimate Trial on top of the non-uninstallable VS 2010 Pro Trial from which many components had already been un-installed as I, unsuccessfully, tried to follow the "manual un-installation" instructions (clearly out of date) in the MS document: "VS2010RTM.htm" found at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw.aspx#uninstalling

~

note: this has been submitted a few days ago on the Visual Studio Setup and Installation Forum and has had eighty views, and no response.

~

Update 2: April 11: downloaded the tool "VS2010_Uninstall-RTM.ENU.exe" and ran it: it appeared to go through all the motions of removing VS Studio, but did not actually remove it, and I am still unable to un-install it, or receive an extension for the trial release version. bw

~

Update 1: April 11: tried to obtain extension code again after first disabling all AV software on this machine (MSSE), and all other optional proceses. Same result as reported below, endless display of "loading.gif" and page content never appears. bw

~

... original post ...

Win Vista 32, SP 2, all recent patches for the OS up to date. MySQL package installed for VS 2010. All .NET FrameWorks installed, and all patches.'

Logging in to MS goes fine, then I select, "Extend Evaluation," and window appears whose url is :

In the center of a large blank area in the screen a circular .gif progress indicator revolves endlessly, but the page is never loaded: I've waited thirty minutes. No error message shown.

~

Trying to Uninstall the current VS 2010 via Control Panel/Programs and Features leads to errors that "Visual Studio cannot be run in Compatibility Mode." This is a non-networked dev machine, run as Admin, and to my knowledge no executable is set to "Compatibiity Mode."

~

Downloading the latest VS 2010 trial installer vs_proweb.exe, and running it results in an error:

"The Windows Installer Package: C\Users\dotScience\AppData\Local\Temp\SIT15974.tmp\vs_setup.ms_Could not be opened. Choose Retry to try again. Choose Cancel for exit setup."

Retrying the the install does not work.

~

So :

1. I cannot use VS 2010 now since the trial is expired

2. I cannot complete the request for a trial extension

3. I cannot remove Visual Studio 2010 using the standard Vista un-install method

4. I cannot re-install using the lastest installer.

Appreciate your help, here !
Posted by Rod O_ on 6/1/2011 at 8:40 PM
Hi,

I, too, have this issue. My experience has been strange and has come to a head today.

I ran into the failing trial extension some weeks ago but... when the failure occurred I found that I could close the evaluation dialogue and continue using VS! (I am runing the VS Pro evaluation).

Today, I tried my "ignore the dialogue" strategy but VS shutdown. I have attained an extension key (RGP94-KHYCY-HKY2G-RYPK2-2932C) but it will not extend the trial. When I click "Activate" I receive a message that states "This product key cannot be used to extend the use of this product.".

So... wassup?

Thanks,

Rod.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/4/2011 at 5:05 PM
Hello dotScience,
It's been awhile since our last communication so I'm going to resolve and close this issue. If you're still experiencing problems, please reactivate or create a new Connect bug.

Thanks,
Matt Kaufman
Program Manager - Visual Studio Platform
Posted by Microsoft on 4/26/2011 at 10:26 AM
Hello dotScience, sorry to hear about the problems you're seeing and apologies that this bug was incorrectly resolved.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of great advice for you, since it seems like something, perhaps some cleanup tool or registry compressor, corrupted your VS installation from the get-go.

There is a 'visual studio 2010 uninstallation utility' that will wipe VS from your system, however, I can't guarantee that all problems will be resolved, since your box is in some state that we've never seen - we've not heard of a trial failing to extend. But, it's probably worth a try. Be sure to disable antivirus and anything that might be updating the registry while running the tool. You can find the download here: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall. Then you should be able to install Pro Trial again.

Once you've installed it, please try extending it right away.

Good luck and please report back with your results.

Matt Kaufman
Senior Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform
blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio
Posted by Microsoft on 4/20/2011 at 1:10 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by dotScience on 4/19/2011 at 2:55 AM
Microsoft Connect wrote on 4/19/2011 at 12:42 AM: "Since the problem has gone, We'll go ahead and close this Connect issue."

Hi, May I humbly suggest that you reconsider the statement "the problem has gone."

1. I have now been still unable to un-install Visual Studio 2010 Pro Trial.

2. I now have, in desperation, created a chimera by installing the VS 2010 Ultimate Trial over the un-installable 2020 Pro: of course this cannot be considered a reliable, a "standard," installation on which any prototyping can proceed. And the Ultimate Trial lists no expiration date: for all I know it could expire at any moment, and, for all I know, it could be as un-installable as VS 2010 Pro.

3. If you call LOSING A SALE of VS Studio Pro, putting a key software development machine in an unknown state, and forcing a developer to have to use Mono, a "THE PROBLEM IS GONE," then I humbly suggest you re-evaluate the core values that, hopefully, are part of a "mission statement" for Connect Support.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/19/2011 at 12:42 AM
Thanks again for your feedback.
Since the problem has gone, We'll go ahead and close this Connect issue. If you need further assistance on this or any other issues in the future, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.
Posted by dotScience on 4/16/2011 at 3:51 AM
MS Wrote: "Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2011 at 12:43 AM: "Hello, Sorry for bothering. Is there any update?"

Hi, and thanks, and you are certainly not "bothering" me: please see my comment prior to this one for a summary of the current non-solution, and the unexpected ability to install the VS 2010 Ultimate over the Pro Trial version (which many components of had already been un-installed as I tried "manual un-installation" per instructions.

best, Bill
Posted by dotScience on 4/16/2011 at 3:48 AM
MS Wrote: "Posted by Microsoft on 4/11/2011 at 12:21 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please upload a setup log file to help us investigate the issue?"

Thanks, but after repeated failures of every type of un-installation recommended, nearly two days of my time wasted, I was able, surprise, to download the VS 2010 Pro Ultimate Trail and install it OVER the current installation.'

WHY that would work I cannot imagine :) But it has, so it seems I may have another unknown "grace period" of using VS 2010.

Of course, this has led to my cancelling purchasing VS 2010 Pro: since I have no assurance I'd ever be able to install it correctly without being able to remove the trial version. My guess is when the 2010 Ultimate trial expires (peculiar that it shows no expiration date at no time in the install period), I will have to use Mono.

best, Bill
Posted by dotScience on 4/16/2011 at 3:44 AM
MS wrote: "4/10/2011 at 4:17 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com) "

Thanks, but no progress. I have already, I believe, contacted the url you mentioned.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2011 at 12:43 AM
Hello,

Sorry for bothering. Is there any update?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible.

Thanks you
Posted by Microsoft on 4/11/2011 at 12:21 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.

Could you please upload a setup log file to help us investigate the issue?
You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/10/2011 at 4:17 PM