Windows Update KB2455033 breaks build with missing ammintrin.h by SvenC

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 4/12/2011 11:49:54 PM

Just installed the latest Windows Updates

First KB 2455033 failed. From vcblog I found that VC compiler KB2519277 could help.
After installing KB 2519277 KB 2455033 succeeded as well.

Now an Office COM addin does not build anymore due to a missing include file ammintrin.h which is inluced in intrin.h

I use VS 2010 Ultimate RTM on Windows 7 x64 SP1 with the standard VC include path: %programfiles(x86)%\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include.

intrin.h is from 18.01.2011
Posted by Microsoft on 10/10/2012 at 6:45 PM
The update referenced in KB2519277 is missing ammintrin.h. Since a few workarounds have been identified in the comments, and we do not plan to further update the Visual C++ compilers in Windows 7 SDK, we do not plan to fix this bug.

If you are using Visual Studio 2010, we recommend you use the Visual C++ compilers installed by Visual Studio instead of the compilers installed by the Windows SDK (which avoids the need to install KB2519277). Visual C++ Express 2010 includes a compiler to target x86, which you can also use as an alternative to the compilers in the SDK, and will also allow you to avoid the need to install KB2519277. If you need a Visual C++ compiler that targets x64, one is included in Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop.

Jennifer Leaf
Visual C++
Microsoft
Posted by Brett Delle Grazie on 10/27/2011 at 2:07 PM
Reinstalling SP1 did _not_ work for me. I'm running Win 7x64. VC++ Express and Win 7.1 SDK. Looks like I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall everything again :(
Posted by mnkeyfeetz2 on 7/6/2011 at 7:32 AM
This has been an annoying full day spent on this stupid issue. Currently uninstalling everything and then the reinstall and praying that I don't install another "fix" that breaks everything.
Posted by AySz88 on 4/17/2011 at 3:19 PM
trparky, you're posting in the wrong report. This page is for those people that have *already* done that workaround, but that workaround has resulted in some missing files.

Reinstalling SP1 worked for me in getting rid of this bug.
Posted by trparky on 4/16/2011 at 10:37 AM
After doing what I did in the workaround I posted, Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer says that I've got all the necessary patches installed and just like Secunia PSI, it too has given my computer a clean bill of health.
Posted by trparky on 4/16/2011 at 9:29 AM
I found a workaround to the installation issues with KB2455033. I installed KB2519277 first then let KB2455033 install which then the installation of KB2455033 worked.
Posted by PercyTierney on 4/14/2011 at 4:52 PM
After reading DerekUK's workaround, I reinstalled the Visual Studio 2010 SP1, and found all the include files restored. After I confirmed this by building a project, I have backed up my VC include/libs.

So that's worked for me (though I will no doubt need to reinstall KB2455033)
Posted by DerekUK on 4/14/2011 at 2:04 PM
Had Similar Issue.

1) Installed Windows SDK 7.1 but not any version of VS2010 .

2) Article http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2011/03/31/10148110.aspx suggests that the patch KB2519277.exe can also be used to update to SP1 C++ compilers on the standalone SDK .

3) Applied the patch and then attempted to compile a trivial program. Got message :- 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\INCLUDE\intrin.h(26) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ammintrin.h': No such file or directory'

I then investigated a little :-

Appears KB2519277 supplies updated intrin.h that now attempts to reference ammintrin.h (AMD specific intrinsics ) which is missing .

Rolled things back and installed items as per artcle (2) above :-

(a) VS2010 C++ Express (in my case)
(b) SDK 7.1
(c) VS2010 SP1
(d) SP1 Compiler patch KB2519277

Attempted to compile same trival program . A success.

Checking directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\INCLUDE now
has several more files than before :-

ammintrin.h
listing.inc
srv.h

Have not checked sub directories.

So as far as I can see at least those three files are missing from patch KB2519277 causing the issue NOT KB2455033. Thus it is more packaging problems It would appear and file/s were missed from inclusion in KB2519277.

Hope that is not too confusing and of some help in resolving this.

Posted by PercyTierney on 4/14/2011 at 12:11 PM
I had the same experience.
- KB 2455044 failure;
- used workaround KB2519277, which allowed KB2455033 install;
- Now, the include file ammintrin.h (called from intrin.h) is missing from my system.

I have run the collection utility, and uploaded the vslogs.cab.
Hope that there is a workaround/fix soon!

(Maybe you could post the download location for ammintrin.h?)
Posted by Microsoft on 4/13/2011 at 6:54 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by trparky on 4/13/2011 at 8:03 AM
I submitted the vslogs.cab file. Again, like SvenC said, hope it helps.
Posted by celtictoad9 on 4/13/2011 at 7:15 AM
Having somewhat the same issue as OP but have not installed KB 2519277. Would it be pertinent to also upload the vslogs.cab here or another place.... please advise
Posted by SvenC on 4/13/2011 at 3:54 AM
Just uploaded vslogs.cab. Hope that helps
Posted by Microsoft on 4/13/2011 at 2:55 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please upload a setup log file to help us investigate the issue?
You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/13/2011 at 12:14 AM
Posted by barnes_jonathan on 2/26/2014 at 3:40 AM
To confirm the renegade patch works with a few extra details. (tested with 2012 R2), many thanks to them

Downloaded the VS2010 SP1 ISO
Mount it
copy VC10sp1-KB983509-x86.msp locally
extract VC10sp1-KB983509-x86.msp – using msix.exe – very nice and small
Download from here – link at bottom of page to a skydrive (sorry onedrive) http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2006/04/07/571138.aspx

syntax : msix patch.msp /out C:<target_dir>

extracting is as below
C:\temp\sdkissue>msix VC10sp1-KB983509-x86.msp /out C:\temp\sdkissue\test
C:\temp\sdkissue\test\RTM.1
…..
C:\temp\sdkissue\test\SP.cab
.....

The SP.cab contains the file be want – extract that – by copy/paste – or going inside and finding the file – it takes a long time to extract.

copy FL_ammintrin_h_x86_ln
Then rename to "ammintrin.h" and copy into C:\program files(86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include

no restart needed

Posted by Renegade Technologies on 7/5/2012 at 1:01 AM
Reinstalling SP1 didn't work for me either (it failed on the .NET 4.0 update. So why does it roll EVERYTHING back??)

So here's what I did. You can extract "FL_ammintrin_h_x86_ln" from "VC10sp1-KB983509-x86.msp" which I got from the VS2010 SP1 ISO. (I imagine you could also watch your temp directory, or %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install for that .msp file as well while the Web installer extracts things. Copy it elsewhere then extract it.)
Copy "FL_ammintrin_h_x86_ln" to %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include and rename it to "ammintrin.h"
Posted by oopdeveloper on 6/2/2011 at 9:58 AM
The mentioned workaround(s) do not work here. Running VS2010 Premium on Windows 7 x64. Reinstalling KB 2455033 does not fix the problem. SP1 reinstall fails. Left with VS2010 in unusable state...
Posted by trparky on 4/16/2011 at 9:30 AM
Install KB2519277 first, then install KB2455033. After installing KB2519277, KB2455033 installed properly for me and Secunia PSI gave my machine a clean bill of health,
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size