Indic Support in Windows Phone 7 Platform by Vikram Pendse

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 7/8/2011 3:57:51 AM

With the annoucement of 4 New languages which will have support in Windows Phone 7 Platform, There is no support for Indic (Indian Languages like Hindi,Marathi,Tamil,Telgu etc Devnagari Scripts)

India is one of the biggest IT Hub in World, Also Number of Mobile Users in India are high as well, There was support for Indic in Windows Mobile 6.x but it is not the case with Windows Phone 7 which making life difficult for Application Developers to develop Indic based Windows Phone 7 Applications, Also End users hence unable to get benefits of local languages on Windows Phone 7.

Silverlight 4 Platform supports Indic and with the Mango Update people are assuming that it should support Indic as the same platform will be on phone.

Please look into this suggestions and kindly update community for the same.
Posted by SachinMundra on 4/11/2013 at 7:19 AM
अररे किती हा नालायक पणा. मायक्रोसॉफ्ट ला लाज वाटली पाहिजे "वोंट फिक्स" व क्लोज्ड करण्या अगोदर. निव्वाळ मूर्ख पणा!
Posted by Jangid on 3/7/2013 at 2:52 AM
What the hell, who close this issue. Instead of fixing this issue useless guy closed it.
Posted by Randhir.zs on 12/21/2012 at 9:41 PM
मेरे द्वारा नोकिया लुमिया 800 खरीदने के बाद पता चला की ये भारतीय भाषाओं को सपोर्ट नहीं करता है ।
फेसबुक , ट्विटर और कई साइटों पर मौजूद हिन्दी को देखने के लिए मुझे लेप्टोप का इस्तेमाल करना पड़ता है ।
अब अफसोस के अलावा मेरे पास ओर कोई दूसरा रास्ता नहीं है ।
निःसन्देह अधिक लोगों द्वारा बोली , सुनी और देखि जाने वाली भाषा को सपोर्ट किया जाना चाहिए था !
उम्मीद करता हूँ की जल्दी ही इसके उपडेट मे इस बात का ध्यान रखा जाएगा अन्यथा मै भी फिर कभी विंडो फोन खरीदना पसंद नहीं करूंगा ।
Posted by Deepraj Singh on 10/16/2012 at 8:05 AM
You (Microsoft) Said this WP 7.5 (Mango) is for people, to connect them Bla bla....
But Let me tell you , the day I bought your WP7.5 enabled Lumia, I feel disconnected :(
I can no longer follow my friends, coz most of updates are in regional language (Hindi and Punjabi).
I feel left out and I have to go to my laptop to see their update. Very Very Frustrating.. grrr...
I am just waiting for WP 7.8 Update. IF THIS UPDATE 7.8 WILL NOT BE SUPPORTING INDIC LANGUAGES, THAN THIS WAS MY FIRST AND WILL ALSO BE THE LAST WINDOWS PHONE.
AND I'LL TELL EVERY ONE NOT TO BUY WP7 PHONE UNTIL AND UNLESS IT SUPPORTS OUR LANGUAGES.
Posted by Raj Pathi on 9/26/2012 at 10:16 AM
My collection of Tamil and Hindi music is nearly unusable on WinPhone 7.5 and my trusty Zune HD. Why, my song titles, album names and so on are in Tamil or Hindi. This is INTOLERABLE.

If WinPhone 7.8 (and 8) has no Indic language support, it's goodbye Microsoft for me. Four years are not enough for you to add a small feature?

I understand the frustration of those wanting to do work in an Indian language, and their numbers are too small for Microsoft. But, MS should understand that if you add the numbers of us using it for our media, it is not so insignificant.

Aren't the large number of Indian employees at Redmond aware of this issue? Or, are they not using WinPhone?
Posted by Jangid on 9/12/2012 at 9:11 AM
Seems Windows Phone 8 also not supporting Indian language. Its really very disappointing :(.
I don't think it'll hard to implement.

I am 100% sure without Indian language support Microsoft will not be top in smartphone world.
Posted by sksnathan on 4/20/2012 at 1:13 AM
please do support Indian languages as soon as possible.
i am from south India I am not able do anything related to local languages with Nokia Lumia 800.
hope you understand the primary feature needed for the huge Indian market.
Posted by Jangid on 2/1/2012 at 7:05 AM
I like Windows Phone and bought HTC Titan, but I can't use for business - Its toy for me at home.
I can't read and write Hindi language that is my main language for daily life and most of the Time I am communicating in this language.

Its really shame for Microsoft and all Indian developer in Microsoft, I hope they'll include in Apollo.
Posted by mvadu on 12/13/2011 at 3:05 PM
I am still struggling to understand design decision went in to making WP7 not have glyphs for major (if not all) Unicode languages. Even though you are selling phones in US and UK, people living there use/access information in other languages.

I made a file with all Google translator supported languages, and attached to this post. (It can be found at https://d.docs.live.net/41858bacc01e0418/Language.docx)

It has English "One" translated to 65 different languages. If I open this document on my HTC Titan (AT&T branded, with 7720 Mango) it shows most of them properly accept for Indian languages (Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Telugu). Nokia just released their WP7 phones in India, Samsung released their Mango phones in India. So I am pretty sure you know how to support Indian languages in India. Why not add that support everywhere? Do I need to live in India to use WP7 phone in Indian language?
Posted by SurenderMCA9 on 10/10/2011 at 10:37 AM
We love to see our languages in windows phone7!
And it would be easy our family members as they do not know english...
Posted by Pranav Ainavolu on 10/10/2011 at 10:01 AM
I second the above comments and strongly recommend the support of Indic languages on Windows Phone.
If you need any assistance from community, we are open for it.
Posted by Abhijit Annaldas on 7/18/2011 at 2:08 AM
If MS wants to be in the race of smartphones in India, it must support Indian languages.
Posted by Mayur-Tendulkar on 7/15/2011 at 4:52 AM
I seriously don't understand this. After Redmond, Hyderabad IDC is the biggest development center for MSFT. Most of the WM (and I hope WP stuff) is designed and developed at IDC. We [at India] have enthusiasm to beta test [and at some point ready to put device on the risk of bricking] and give positive feedback. And even if we have negative feedback, MSFT should take it positively. Indic support must have been built into WP7 as a out-of-the box feature, which is still not there in Mango update.
I can't believe Microsoft, who actually runs one of its best Windows Update service, across different OSs [e.g. XP, Vista, 7 with different editions] with different hardware specifications [think about Desktop/Laptop fragmentation] seamlessly, can't provide same functionality for 6-7 devices.
Posted by manish.k on 7/14/2011 at 10:37 AM
With 1.2 billion people and a fast-growing economy, Microsoft is already losing out with lack of advertisement!!
why hold back on the local language support to boost the popularity of the phones???
Posted by Pradnya Naik on 7/12/2011 at 7:47 PM
Support for local languages is required for users in India. Many phone users will benefit.
Posted by Mandar R Kulkarni on 7/12/2011 at 7:11 AM
yes! customers in India will get a benefit... but msft will get more benefit by satisfying the customers... Hoping for this feature...
Posted by Venkat.KL on 7/12/2011 at 2:19 AM
Sorry for the Typo like*

Asking everytime does not look all that nice :(
Posted by Venkat.KL on 7/12/2011 at 2:08 AM
Hi,

I really do not understand the problem of not supporting many languages especially Languages like Indic, India being major IT player. Why we have to ask separately. Why can't MS make it a mandatory to include all the languages or Indic atlest?

Asking everytime like does not look all that nice :(

Please consider our VOICE as Standing Instruction for ALL MS future endeavor :-)

Thanks in Advance.
Posted by Omkar Khair on 7/11/2011 at 10:58 PM
Support for Indic languages does open apps for a whole new audience. Would benefit the app market. Would love to see Microsoft provide support soon.
Posted by Lohith Goudagere Nagaraj on 7/11/2011 at 8:47 PM
Makes a huge impact if Indic support is porvided in WP7. With local language support it opens a whole new dimension to localizing the app and start building local content based apps. Would strongly recommend providing this support. Please consider this.
Posted by Pavanaja U B on 7/11/2011 at 5:34 AM
Yes, I also strongly recommend for adding Indian langauges like Kannada, Hindi, Tamil, etc., in Windows Mobile. The underlying platform supports internationalization and Indic. I can't figure out any reason for not including it so far. Silverlight also supports Indic now. It is just bundling everything needed, that's all. Hope Microsoft opens its eye to the 1.2 blillion people market. As per the latest report 67% Indians do possess mobile phones now. That's a huge market. As of now very low end Nokia phones and high end iPhones are supporting Indic. Android is yet to support Indic. Hence Microsoft will have the advantage if they add Indic support for their smartphones.
Posted by Anil.Kumar.Pandey on 7/11/2011 at 5:26 AM
Its always good if some one is having the Phone on their own native language, so Adding an INDIC language in the WP7 is not only a grate idea but a Necessity too. I am in support of this feature.

Posted by Amol A. Vaidya on 7/10/2011 at 9:23 PM
Given the pre-launch activity WP7 had in India, Indic support should have been there right from the start but the it's never too late. I'm sure there are a lot of people who wish to develop WP7 apps that are in Indian languages.
Posted by S.Kaliyan on 7/9/2011 at 1:12 PM
Microsoft WP7 with Indic will have huge market potential in India. we like to see this soon from Microsoft
Posted by Balendu Sharma Dadhich on 7/9/2011 at 12:28 AM
Android is taking lead in providing Indic support. MS cannot be left behind as this is a natural and crucial requirement for the huge Hindi speaking population that India has.
Posted by Chakravarthy on 7/8/2011 at 11:03 PM
I would like to see the Indic support and I can extend my support for for Telugu Language.
Posted by Senthil Kumar B on 7/8/2011 at 10:20 PM
Yes ... i am too expecting this feature or support
Posted by Vasudev on 7/8/2011 at 9:04 PM
Will be nice if WP7 gets Indic support as India has a big market for Localised ones and Nokia-Microsoft partnership can further promote it.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/8/2011 at 4:12 AM