Microsoft Touch Mouse does not work with Visual Studio 2010 SP1 by TadAnderson

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 8/3/2011 8:31:20 AM
Moderator Decision: Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

The new Microsoft Touch Mouse does not support scrolling in the code window.

Microsoft Touch Mouse

Other hardware I understand may have issues, but this is a Microsoft product and it needs to work with other Microsoft products.
Posted by ChrisTTian on 7/8/2013 at 7:09 AM
I reproduced the error today on two different Systems. One running on Win7 x64 with VS2012 and one Win8 x64 with VS2012/VS2013. On both Systems the VS is running as Administrator and no Scrolling :(
Posted by Valo on 11/14/2012 at 10:30 AM
There is still no resolution to this issue and in spite it is marked as "Not Reproducible" - it is very much reproducible and not fixed. The work-around-s work temporarily until the next windows update (see below my other comment about the touch mouse and Windows 8)

Microsoft please fix the drivers - the mouse is too expensive to throw it away.
Posted by Valo on 10/1/2012 at 10:17 AM
OK, the things are getting worse actually. The running ipoint as administrator was a tolerable workaround however recently I updated the software for the mouse and IntelliPoint is gone. Now there is "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center" and it doesn't matter if you run it as admin or not - the mouse touch functions are simply not working in any program that you run as administrator. In other words there is no workaround anymore.

BTW, I was hoping that Windows 8 will have a fix for the problem but no, no luck. Hoped that VS 2012 will fix the problem - still no luck. What gives?

Please, fix the problem - programmers and IT guys are users too and deserve some love...

Val
Posted by Eduardo Coelho on 8/29/2012 at 11:23 AM
I'm having the same problem here. Win8 RTM + VS2012 RTM. If I start VS as Administrator I get NO scroll. If I start VS the regular way ( not as administrator) the scroll works fine.

After running C:\Program Files\Microsoft Device Center\ipoint.exe as Administrator the scroll works ok when running VS in Administrator mode.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/20/2012 at 10:56 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately we are unable to repro this issue on the following combination setups - Win7+VS2010_SP1 ; Win7+VS2012 ; Win8+VS2010_SP1 ; Win8+VS2012. From the latest comments, the issue doesn't seem Visual Studio specific, but possibly drivers related.

Thanks!
Radhika Tadinada
Program Manager
Visual Studio Platform
Posted by Saurabh-Gupta on 12/27/2011 at 2:00 AM
The gestures don't work with any app running under Administrator. I run a lot of apps under admin privileges (VS 2010 being one) and this is a major letdown. Why this wasn't tested and fixed before release is beyond me.
Posted by Darrel Schreyer on 10/23/2011 at 6:31 AM
I can confirm that this is only an issue when VS2010 is running as Administrator. If it runs under the logged on user the mouse works fine.
Posted by Ben Randall on 8/19/2011 at 9:15 PM
I've confirmed that the workaround that Tad provided works on my machine as well. Hoping that they will look into resolving this issue.
Posted by MS-Moderator10 [Feedback Moderator] on 8/4/2011 at 12:18 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by TadAnderson on 8/3/2011 at 6:34 PM
OK, so I gave it one more try on a third laptop. I did not have IntelliPoint 8.15 64-bit for Windows 7 on it. It installed with just the drivers. It worked in VS, but no gestures. I downloaded IntelliPoint 8.15 64-bit for Windows 7 and it gave me the gestures and VS stopped working.

I repeated that on my other laptop by uninstalling IntelliPoint and the other mouse drivers. Just allowing the USB to get its drivers installed allowed me to scrollin VS, but no other getures work without IntelliPoint 8.15 64-bit for Windows 7 on it. As soon as I installed I got the gestures but VS stops working.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 8/3/2011 at 8:50 AM
Posted by RichLando on 9/4/2013 at 10:24 AM
I am using Window 7 and VS 2010 and had this issue on my Lenovo T530 laptop. I fixed my issue by enabling Office 97 Scrolling Emulation under advanced mouse properties.

Control Panel>Mouse>Lenovo>Advanced Properties>Wheel>Select the radio button "Use Microsoft Office 97 Scrolling Emulation Only"
Posted by Eduardo Coelho on 8/29/2012 at 11:23 AM
For Windows 8 : run C:\Program Files\Microsoft Device Center\ipoint.exe as Administrator
Posted by Eddy Malik on 10/4/2011 at 2:03 PM
Awesome! That worked. Thanks.
Posted by Ryan P - Atlanta on 8/26/2011 at 6:57 PM
If you launch the program using Task Manager, set to launch at login for any user, and check the box to run with the highest priviledges, and change the option to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode this issue resolves itself. You may need to disable any other methods which may be launching iPoint.exe first. I found this in my HKLM registry's run section.
Posted by TadAnderson on 8/4/2011 at 5:42 AM
That should have been

In order to resolve the issue of not running in Visual Studio 2010 you must run C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe with elevated permissions. Right click on it, open properties, go to the compatibility tab and select Run this program as administrator.
What clued me in was that it did not work with the event viewer either, which was running elevated privileges also.
Posted by TadAnderson on 8/4/2011 at 5:37 AM
UPDATE 8/4/2010- In order to resolve the issue of not running in Visual Studio 2010 you must run C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint with elevated permissions. Right click on it, open properties, go to the compatibility tab and select Run this program as administrator.