error MSB6006: "mt.exe" exited with code 31. by alexmal1

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 8/3/2011 2:29:30 PM
Moderator Decision: Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

Visual Studio 2010 with installed service pack 1 (Windows & 64 bit )

During Release builds for no obvioud reason random errors:

error MSB6006: "mt.exe" exited with code 31.

Disabling antivirus seems fixing the problem.
Debug builds (NO optimization?) seems are not affected.

Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Posted by popchoc on 8/12/2012 at 1:15 PM
This seems to be an issue with anti-virus and anti-malware products. I have experienced the same thing infrequently now that I have Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware installed on one of my dev machines. There are a number of reports for mt.exe exit 31 on connect. Here's one that has information about Symantec Endpoint Protection:

mt.exe failing with error 31 et al for no obvious reason. Rebuild works fine. | Microsoft Connect

Posted by Microsoft on 8/16/2011 at 2:49 AM
Thanks again for your feedback.
We'll go ahead and close this Connect issue for now. If you encounter it again, please try to get the requested info and reactivate this issue(Click "Edit this item" button on the site and change the "Status" to "Active").
Thank you for using Visual studio Connect site.
Posted by alexmal1 on 8/10/2011 at 6:27 PM
Issue seems was somehow related to the Windows 7.
But I have not seen such problem since I stared to run Visual Studio 'as administrator'.
( On top of running it from administrator account. )

I am not sure why disabling antivirus helped when it was not started 'as administrator' though.
(It is not like I don't want t provide diagnostics requested, but it appeared when building large project (VTK) and
it will take some time to reproduce the steps and environment)
Since such problems seems does not appear anymore, I would consider issue closed.
But if I see the problem again I will update with information you requested.

Posted by Microsoft on 8/8/2011 at 11:31 PM
Hello,

Sorry for bothering. Is there any update?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible.

Thanks you
Posted by MS-Moderator09 [Feedback Moderator] on 8/3/2011 at 11:07 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please attach /v:diag log file to this feedback through our site to help us investigate the issue?

You can get them easily by going to Tools/Options, Projects/Solutions, Build/Run, and setting the MSBuild verbosity to "Diagnostic" in both dropdowns. Then, just copy from the Output Window in the IDE, paste into a text file and send it to us. For command line, you can pass in "/v:diag" switch to MSBuild.EXE and it will produce a diagnostic-level log.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 8/3/2011 at 2:50 PM
Posted by YangHui328 on 7/12/2012 at 4:49 AM

project options, linker, manifest, Generate Manifest-> NO.

But I do not know why.
If anybody knows please tell me.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size