Silverlight installation fails by Paul Denninger

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 9/23/2011 7:09:11 AM
Moderator Decision: Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

Install Silverlight on Windows 7 (64bit) with IE 9 (all updates installed).

Run Silverlight.exe, install gets to 89% displays text "Installation failed".

On second installation attempt running Silverlight.exe I get a dialog "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. The "Use source" displays a path that is no longer valid "d:\93ef3ffb0bf5358228b0b2d7\" (presumably from the first failed install). Browsing brings up the correct new path "D:\d2c7c1760d6ac6f96afeaa\silverlight.msi" - selecting OK returns "installation failed" again.

Silverlight shows up in the installed programs list under "Programs and Features", however attempting to uninstall results in the same dialog described above.

Searching my drives for Silverlight.* results in a SilverlightMSI.log and a Silverlight0.log which I will attach.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/27/2011 at 12:09 AM
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your update. I'm glad to hear your issue has been resolved. Based on your description, I will close this issue. Should you find any bugs in the future, please feel free to let us know.
Posted by Paul Denninger on 9/26/2011 at 11:36 AM
I went to the windows update site today and Silverlight was an optional download, so I tried to install it from there. It once again gave me the "Use source" dialog but when I selected the Silverlight.msi this time the installation succeeded! I don't know if installing it from windows update was the fix or if they updated the installer recently, but this got it working for me.

Thanks,
Paul
Posted by Microsoft on 9/26/2011 at 12:40 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:
a setup log file

You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. <http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043>
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by MS-Moderator10 [Feedback Moderator] on 9/25/2011 at 8:13 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 9/23/2011 at 7:46 AM