.NET 4.5 upgrade-in-place problems with VS 2010 by J. David Moore

as External Help for as External

Opened: 9/27/2011 3:55:58 AM
Moderator Decision: Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

After installing the VS11 Developer Preview and .NET 4.5 on my developer machine that has VS 2010, my Error List is clogged with bogus compilation errors. I can build with no errors, but a fraction of a second later my error window fills with bogus errors related to types that are being imported via project references.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2011 at 11:40 PM
Thanks again for your feedback. We will go ahead and resolve this issue as "External".

- For general questions, please use the MSDN Forums: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/default.aspx?siteid=1
- For third party product-related issues, please contact your 3rd party vendor for support
- For urgent issues , please contact support directly at http://support.microsoft.com or call 1-800-MICROSOFT for assistance.
Posted by J. David Moore on 10/14/2011 at 4:28 AM
I believe this can be closed. I think what happened is that the newer versions of msbuild.exe and csc.exe exposed a problem in our .sln file where we had not called out some explicit dependencies between projects. For example project B taking a binary reference to project A, but our .sln didn't have the explicit dependency captured in the the "Project Dependencies... " dialog. Somehow we were getting lucky with the .Net 4.0 version of the tools, but the flaw is clearly ours.

I apologize for the noise. Thanks for looking into this.
Dave M.
Posted by J. David Moore on 10/12/2011 at 9:14 AM
I missed the first request for a sample, sorry. I will work on a smaller repo, currently seeing it in a .sln file with 45+ projects.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/11/2011 at 11:44 PM
Hello,

Sorry for bothering. Is there any update?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by MS-Moderator08 [Feedback Moderator] on 9/27/2011 at 10:34 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. Could you please attach a sample project to help us reproduce this issue?
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 9/27/2011 at 4:44 AM