Crash in designer by Sven Rienstra

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 10/10/2011 8:08:41 AM
Moderator Decision: Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

When I create an instance variable of a class linked to a third party library on my form I can no longer open the form in the designer. Stack trace:

Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.Interop.IProject.CanCreateFileCodeModelThroughProjectRoot(System.String)'.
at Microsoft.RestrictedUsage.CSharp.Extensions.ParseTreeNodeExtensions.IsFileProjectSystemCanCreateFileCodeModelFor(SourceLocation loc, IDECompiler ideCompiler)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.CodeModel.CCodeElementFactory.<>c__DisplayClass1`1.b__0(SourceLocation loc)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.CodeModel.CCodeElementFactory.CreateCodeElementFromTypeRef[T](CSharpType pTypeRef, SourceFileParseTree pData, TypeDeclarationNode pInsertNode)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.CodeModel.CCodeTypeRef.get_CodeType()
at EnvDTE.CodeTypeRef.get_CodeType()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomParser.GetUrtTypeFromVsType(CodeTypeRef vsType)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomParser.OnTypePopulateMembers(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.CodeDom.CodeTypeDeclaration.get_Members()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.MergedCodeDomParser.CodeTypeDeclarationPopulator.OnPopulateMembers(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.CodeDom.CodeTypeDeclaration.get_Members()
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.BasicDesignerLoader.BeginLoad(IDesignerLoaderHost host)
Posted by Mauro _Verko Inform√°tica_ on 3/5/2013 at 6:02 AM
I'm also with this problem and only happens with VS2012 VS2010 I had not happened before replacing. I've reinstalled VS2012 and it did not work. My desire is to return to VS 2010 I only just reinstall windows and do not want to be installing and uninstalling programs. I also use DevExpress version 12.2. If you guys do not solve Microsoft who is going to solve!!
The problem is that sometimes he just disappears with the content and form so we can see this when installed on the client.
Posted by siwse on 1/9/2013 at 2:51 AM
I have the same problem with VS2012. Using devexpress in my dialogs, but bot sure thats relevant. Somtimes the designer starts, sometimes it crashes requiring a restart of the entire environment.

designer spits out stacktrace:

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.Interop.IProject.CreateFileCodeModelThroughProjectRoot(String FileName)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.CodeModel.CodeModelProjectCache.FindOrCreateItem(FileName fileName)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.CodeModel.CodeModelRoot.CreateFileCodeModel(FileName fileName)
at EnvDTE.CodeTypeRef.get_CodeType()
at System.CodeDom.CodeTypeDeclaration.get_Members()
at System.CodeDom.CodeTypeDeclaration.get_Members()
Posted by Staaam on 12/20/2011 at 1:06 PM
Just attached my cut down solution - when trying to open ProjectEditForm in designer, it crashes. After changing field private TzWebClient WebClient to be a property - designer works (changing back to field - crashes again). Contact me if you need some additional info
Posted by Microsoft on 10/16/2011 at 11:20 PM
Thanks again for your feedback.
We'll go ahead and close this Connect issue.
Thank you for using Visual studio Connect site.
Posted by Sven Rienstra on 10/13/2011 at 12:27 AM
Hello, in the mean time I tried to reproduce this problem on another workstation and I was not able to do so. After I re-installed Visual Studio the problem was gone on my workstation as well. This error was probably caused by a faulty install. I could still send you the project but I doubt if you will be able to reproduce this. In my view this issue can be closed.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/12/2011 at 4:37 AM
Thank you for your quick response.

Please package your files into a zip file and name the zipped file Feedback-694092.zip.
You can upload the file to workspace:

Password: @tlZ3+cda

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Sven Rienstra on 10/11/2011 at 1:00 AM
I can deliver a sample project with the third party lib and steps to reproduce, but I can't upload the project to a place where it will be publicly available. Can you provide an emailadress so I can send the project?
Posted by MS-Moderator09 [Feedback Moderator] on 10/10/2011 at 8:17 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, we are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please provide us with the following information?

1. Some more info about the third party library.
2. Some more detail repro steps.
3. A sample project for further investigating.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us this information as quickly as possible.

Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 10/10/2011 at 8:41 AM
Posted by Staaam on 12/20/2011 at 12:28 PM
Changing field to property worked for me
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size