Failed to Get Developer License for Visual Studio 11 Beta (both Express and Ultimate SKU) on machines upgraded from windows 7 by Don Burnett Microsoft MVP 2013

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 3/4/2012 10:45:23 PM
Moderator Decision: Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

When I run the Metro App I get message saying it needs to get/renew the dev license, then I get below error;

[Window Title]
Developer License

[Main Instruction]
We couldn't get your developer license for Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[Content]
Please check your network connection and try again.

[Retry] [Close]

And in VS 2011 Beta error window I get below 2 errors;

Error 2 Deployment of package 91acf9dd-243a-4c7f-a428-78a1e85cecf6_1.0.0.0_neutral__agtam8yy7wpv6 [Package

Full Name] failed because no valid license or sideloading policy could be applied. A developer license

(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=233074) or enterprise sideloading configuration

(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=231020) may be required. MetroApplication1

Error 1 Error : DEP0730 : Registration of the application failed because no Developer License is installed

on the target machine. MetroApplication1
Posted by Microsoft on 3/7/2012 at 2:30 PM
Hi Don Burnett,

This Post should be able to help here. If you have any issues, please add them to this post.

Thanks for your time,
Adrian
Posted by Microsoft on 3/7/2012 at 2:23 PM
Hi Don Burnett,

This issue is currently under active investigation.

Thanks for your patience,

Adrian
Posted by MS-Moderator10 [Feedback Moderator] on 3/6/2012 at 7:40 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by MS-Moderator10 on 3/5/2012 at 5:52 PM
Thank you for your feedback, We are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly (http://support.microsoft.com/)
Posted by Arjen Krap on 4/18/2012 at 2:50 AM
I had the same problem today. The hotfix was already installed a few days ago. After reading this thread I got it working by doing the following:

1. I created a new temporary user.

2. I switched to the new temporary user. (Go to Start screen, click on your name/avator, click on new username in drop down box, and enter password.)

3. As the new user I open Visual Studio 11 Beta.

4. I created a new Metro project. When asked to acquire a new license I logged on with my Microsoft Account and received no error message. (I also had to enter the password for my normal account in the UAG prompt.)

5. I logged off and switched back to my normal user account.

6. I opened Visual Studio and my Metro project and ran it without problems.

7. I disabled my temporary user. (I might need it again when the license expires.)

I think the problems with user accounts created under Windows 7. It could also be profile issue, so deleting your user profile could also remidy this. Although this may not be a popular choice. Using a Microsoft account to log on Windows 8 might also not be affected since those accounts cannot be used on Windows 7 and lower Windows versions. Also accounts with roaming profiles previously used on Windows 7 or lower versions may be affected.

[I also posted this work around on the forum. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/thread/9b6d1274-6dd0-45a0-8814-29f0500b9fa9]
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size