F1 Open help always opens a new window by Rutix

Active

Opened: 4/1/2012 10:17:54 AM
Moderator Decision: Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

When I have my cursor on a method or whatever and press F1 Visual Studio always opens a new browser window. In visual studio it just opened a new tab. I have firefox as my default browser.

This doesn't happen if you go to the help -> view help option but only when you press F1 inside the editor.
Posted by ckroenicke on 7/31/2013 at 1:49 AM
Same happens with Internet Explorer 9 set as default browser:
Internet Explorer version: 9.0.8112.16421
Update version: 9.0.18 (KB2846071)
Posted by ckroenicke on 7/31/2013 at 1:43 AM
Hello,
I still have that problem with:
Windows 7 Ultimate
Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
Version 11.0.60610.01 Update 3
Mozilla Firefox v22.0
Please try again to reproduce it because it is really annoying!!! :(
(Something must have changed in the browser call...)

Posted by Microsoft on 5/28/2013 at 11:13 AM
Greetings Rutix

Thank you for taking the time to submit a Connect bug. This no longer repro’s with the latest Firefox and our latest build.

Malcolm Dickson
IDE Experience Program Manager
Posted by Microsoft on 2/2/2013 at 1:57 AM
Update: We have confirmed that this is an issue and have copied it to our work backlog. We'll address this issue as our schedule permits.
Thanks,
Art Leonard
Visual Studio IDE Development Team
Posted by Microsoft on 2/2/2013 at 1:57 AM
Thanks,
Art Leonard
Visual Studio IDE Development Team
Posted by CptKork on 1/17/2013 at 7:58 AM
Same behavior here. F1 works fine (opens a new tab) with VS2010 and Firefox 18.0, but in VS2012 it always opens a new Firefox window instead. Very annoying...
Posted by Rutix on 8/23/2012 at 12:52 AM
I updated the item to active and updated the version to Visual Studio 2012.
Posted by Rutix on 8/23/2012 at 12:50 AM
This is still a problem with the RTM and also a bug in visual studio. I tried 4 different versions of firefox and they all open the help in the new window. In 2010 it nicely opens in a new tab. I also noticed that it only happens when you press F1 in the editor. When I go to HELP -> View Help (or press CTRL+F1, V) then it opens in a new tab.
Posted by HiredMind on 8/8/2012 at 4:06 PM
How is this external, when it works as expected on VS 2010, but not on VS 2012? (same machine, both installed simultaneously)

In any case, I can confirm that this happens with the following:

Windows 7 Pro (N) w/SP1

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012 RC
Version 11.0.50706.0 QRELRC July, 2012
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.5.50501

FireFox 14.0.1
(Settings checked and re-checked and checked again - FF is set to open new windows into tabs.)
Posted by Reonekot on 7/23/2012 at 12:46 AM
I see this behavior on both my private and work machine. (Both running Win7 x64 and VS2012 RC.) In 2010 it works fine and F1 help is opened in a tab.
Posted by ivanatpr on 6/28/2012 at 8:11 PM
This is happening to me in the Beta (11.0.50323.1) but not in 2010. I tried opening Firefox in safe mode and I get the same behavior. Links from other applications correctly open in a new tab.
Posted by dw87 on 6/19/2012 at 9:37 AM
I'm experiencing the same behavior as Rutix with Firefox 13.0.1. Tried the Firefox option "Open new windows in new tab instead" both on and off. Clean install of Visual Studio 2012 RC on Windows 8 Release Preview.
Posted by Rutix on 6/3/2012 at 10:13 AM
I just tested it with Visual Studio 2012 RC and it still happens that it opens a new window instead of a new tab. I also have Firefox 12. Maybe this is because I upgraded from Visual Studio 11 beta and a clean install of VS 2012 RC will work. I will test this when I have time to do a clean install this week. Strange thing though is that Ctrl+F1, V (of View Help from Help menu) opens in a new tab and not in a new window. Maybe I have overlooked a setting?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/30/2012 at 3:55 PM
Greetings,

Thank you for opening a Connect bug for the Help Viewer. We were not able to reproduce this using the next release post Beta) and Firefox 12.

Malcolm Dickson
Help Viewer PM II
Posted by Rutix on 4/26/2012 at 11:30 AM
@Sam Rueby: No I haven't. I did some more tests and came to the conclusion it really has to be VS11. I tested 10 other applications with links and all open in a new tab. I also analyzed about.config in firefox and all the settings related to this are correctly set. Therefor I am reopening this issue because it really is a VS11 bug.
Posted by Sam Rueby on 4/4/2012 at 7:42 AM
@Rutix, did you actually find a solution to this? I'm not convinced this is a Firefox problem. I already have the setting for "Open new windows in a new tab instead" checked in Firefox and just as you say, this doesn't happen in Visual Studio 2010. I also can't get a new browser window to be launched by clicking on web links in other applications in Windows. Visual Studio 11 is doing something differently.
Posted by Rutix on 4/2/2012 at 1:40 PM
Sorry I accidently putted it on active again. This seems to only happen with Firefox so I guess it really is a firefox problem. Still find it weird that it doesnt happen in visual studio 2010. But thanks for reviewing the bug item. You can put it back on resolved again.
Posted by Rutix on 4/2/2012 at 1:09 PM
The browser settings are fine. And when I open Visual Studio 2010 and press F1 it opens a tab. It only opens a new window in Visual Studio 11.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/2/2012 at 1:02 PM
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a Connect bug. Please check your browser settings to adjust the expected browser behavior.

The Help Team
Posted by MS-Moderator10 [Feedback Moderator] on 4/2/2012 at 12:17 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 4/1/2012 at 10:46 AM