Edit and Continue is not supported when debugging a 64-bit application. by Deanna_D

as Deferred Help for as Deferred

Opened: 4/12/2012 7:34:46 PM
Moderator Decision: Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

This was the topic of conversation tonight at a Houston .Net User Group meeting. I realize others have asked and you've said no, but the lack of EnC in 64bit apps is a GIANT problem. Many of us don't have the freedom to compile our app in 32bit mode - we are in environments that require 64bit modes. After all, it is 2012 and even my 70 year old parents are running 64bit computers!

Please reconsider and get this in. You're killing productivity for many of us. You're making Java seem attractive to me and I didn't think that was possible!!!
Posted by jschroedl on 7/2/2013 at 12:59 PM
Looks like Microsoft has added 64-bit Edit and Continue:

Posted by ClubbieTim on 6/5/2013 at 12:55 PM
I can't express my disdain in not having this feature; my next project may very well be using Eclipse...
Posted by Mystcreater on 5/14/2013 at 11:54 AM
I'm afraid it's possible that the edit and continue will not work in 32 bits mode in VS 2014 :D
Don't be afraid, it's just a prediction ;)
Posted by sonicth on 2/7/2013 at 2:35 AM
x64 edit and continue should have shipped with MSVC 10, surely Microsoft can do it?
Posted by Shtan on 12/12/2012 at 3:24 PM
E&C in x64 is vital to timely & effective development.
I do not (nor does anyone in my 40 person + engineering team) have the ability to use x86 as all our code is in x64.
Please please please include this feature ASAP. It's costing me and my team time and money...
Posted by Leonard S. Foster on 8/21/2012 at 7:01 AM
Really, MSVC team, really? The Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 90-day trial does not contain Edit-and-Continue for x64 debugging, so I do not think it gets shipped in the Visual Studio 2012 RTM. From my point of view, Edit-and-Continue is a crucial feature, and not implementing it (among with the lack of nearly all advanced C++11 features) leaves only room for one conclusion: You are completely understaffed, and apparently this whole "C++ renaissance" thing is a joke. You really need to speed things up.
Posted by Don Andre on 8/16/2012 at 5:31 AM
We need edit and continue in 64bit!!! Why don't you work on the single best feature in Visual Studio!?
Posted by Microsoft on 4/17/2012 at 2:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, this issue will not be addressed in this release of Visual Studio and the CLR.

Thanks,
Visual Studio Team
Posted by Mark doing Visual Studio on 4/13/2012 at 12:17 PM
This seems like a no brainer. It is a bit embarrassing for Microsoft that the tool they provide to develop 64 bit applications is not 64 bit capable.
Posted by MS-Moderator08 [Feedback Moderator] on 4/13/2012 at 2:35 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 11 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 4/12/2012 at 7:50 PM
Posted by c3 on 9/18/2012 at 7:14 AM
Not supporting E&C is a sad loss for the entire Visual Studio community. Visual Studio's product managers not seeing this, is an even greater loss.

Years ago I choose to use Visual Basic .NET over C# because the VB team committed to delivering E&C. The C# team announced plans not to support E&C but actually did support E&C after about 800+ comments (all "likes") made this the #1 feature request for C#. The next most requested feature drew only a few hundred requests. E&C was clearly the number one feature request. The demand for E&C does not go away by closing the thread.

My choice to use VB.Net was not solely based on this feature, but the VB project team's focus on developer productivity.

Right now I am so frustrated with Visual Studio's slow build time and lack of E&C on a 64-bit, Intel i7 with 8GB of RAM (no SSD). I'm doing what I can to promote development and use of Windows. I need some help from the Visual Studio product team. How is it possible for the dozens of blog posts discussing slow builds go unanswered by Microsoft's VS team? (sorry for discussing a second issue on this thread, but it is productivity based like E&C).

My initial build time is over 7 minutes! I often have to reboot and repeat the delay. Not having E&C because I decided to "upgrade" is like rubbing salt into the wound. [hint/aside: Perhaps someone from the visual studio team should start posting a link to all these blogs to help us fix this plague that is killing your Visual Studio clients by the thousands!]

As a developer selling LOB applications to small, medium and large clients, I LOVE Visual Studio (32bit's E&C), VB.Net, WinForms, ComponentOne, Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2. This is such a productive combination of tools! I'm a dinosaur that doesn't like change. But I am thrilled with the value this toolset provides myself and my clients.

As a business, slow build times cost ME money. You are taking money from my family! You are making me work longer for less. $#@#$

E&C is a critical feature. Please reconsider this thread. I find it disturbing that the moderator has chosen to mark this thread as "Closed, as Deferred". The concept "take care of your customers or someone else will" needs to be everyone's focus. A sincere "we'll get to it in the next version" is fine for obscure features that only benefit a limited group of clients. When the feature is clearly the #1 feature for so many people, you need to focus on it. Let the number of comments increase to reflect the developers' true requests.

I am concerned that once Microsoft Visual Studio's current team abandons E&C it will be too difficult to reintroduce into the product.

Focus on producing "more productive tools". The "E&C WinForm era" set the productivity bar extremely high. Please make sure our future tools are not nuanced, convoluted and inefficient.

Thank you for your time.