Visual Studio 2012 Professsion RC install fails by JoeWoodbury

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 5/31/2012 1:04:47 PM

I attempted to install Visual Studio 2012 Professional RC. The install fails with a message "Unable to locate package source." Selecting "Download packages from the internet" doesn't resolve the problem.

When I cancel the install, I get a warning that "Setup detected an issue during the operation."
Posted by Microsoft on 6/14/2012 at 12:03 PM
I worked with Joe to determine the root cause of this issue. He is able to get the files through downloading them through IE. Setup uses as one of its protocols an http download, however it failed to download via that protocol. Looking online this issue historically points to proxy configuration or network issues.

Joe was able to work around this issue via downloading the ISO image.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/14/2012 at 12:01 PM

Joe was able to work around this issue via downloading the ISO image.
Posted by JoeWoodbury on 6/4/2012 at 6:49 AM
The setup log is unavailable. I ran collect.exe and sent the results to Aaron Ruckman.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/4/2012 at 4:06 AM
Would you please upload the setup log to the following workspace:

Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-745356" as prefix of the file name.

You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password is TyDSc*u3LZB
Posted by Dan G. Lunde on 6/1/2012 at 2:56 PM
I have a fresh install of Windows 8 Release Preview, and I can confirm the behavior when trying to install VS2012 RC. Unable to locate package. Tried running from Windows Explorer as administrator, but still the same problem. Trying ISO next.
Posted by Rick Hubka on 6/1/2012 at 8:36 AM
Me too on the VS 2012 RC install with "Unable to locate package source." at work. Installed fine at home though.

As I type right now I am downloading the full VS 2012 RC ISO file listed on this site.

Hope this helps
Posted by JoeWoodbury on 6/1/2012 at 6:55 AM
I sent the collect.exe logs to Aaron Ruckman. He identified the problem very similar to what Oran stated. I was able to download the file directly, but even after multiple attempts and reboots, was never able to get the web installer to run. I ended up upacking an ISO and using that.
Posted by Chris Dahlberg on 6/1/2012 at 5:52 AM
I encountered this problem after downloading it with IE10 (on Win8 Release Preview), then clicking "Run". I was able to run it successfully by choosing "Save" in IE, then explicitly running the installer as administrator from Windows Explorer (right-click, "Run as Administrator").
Posted by Silkeslips on 6/1/2012 at 4:24 AM
The Fiddler workaround posted by Oran Dennison solves this problem for me too.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/1/2012 at 12:01 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:
a setup log file

You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Oran Dennison on 5/31/2012 at 5:19 PM
If I use Fiddler, I see the following request which results in a HTTP 403 Forbidden response:

HEAD http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/C/0/7C031346-DE3A-4931-BE13-16BC71C721A3/enu_vs_common/clean/vs_preclean_vs.exe HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*

Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 176
Expires: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 00:16:52 GMT
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 00:16:52 GMT
X-Cache: MISS from localhost
X-Cache-Lookup: MISS from localhost:3128
Via: 1.0 localhost:3128 (squid/2.7.STABLE9)
Connection: close

If I access the URL directly in my browser, it works.
Posted by Oran Dennison on 5/31/2012 at 5:05 PM
I encounter the "unable to locate package source" error with both the standard web installer and the "product layout file" installer/downloader.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 5/31/2012 at 1:43 PM
Posted by Oran Dennison on 5/31/2012 at 11:35 PM
Adding the following code to Fiddler's OnBeforeRequest function in CustomRules.js resolves the issue for me, at the expense of downloading every file twice:

if (oSession.HostnameIs("download.microsoft.com") && oSession.HTTPMethodIs("HEAD")) {
            oSession.oRequest.headers.HTTPMethod = "GET";
        }
Posted by Oran Dennison on 5/31/2012 at 5:27 PM
I appear to be making installation progress by running Fiddler which shows me the URLs that the web installer is attempting to download. I then click on the URL shown in Fiddler to download the file with my browser and then when I receive the "Unable to locate package source" error I enter the download location under "please provide a location to search for the packages" and click Retry. It's a rather labor-intensive process but appears to be working so far.