Page Inspector crashes when I click on the message to refresh without stopping debugging by Chuck Cooper1

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 6/4/2012 8:33:21 AM

When I run Visual Studio in the Page Inspector it comes up with a warning

Some files gave changed and a new build is needed. Click here to build the project and refresh the browser. (Ctrl+Alt+Enter)

When I click there and answer No to stop debugging (even if i say yes, it kicks me out and brings me back to the same place so that isn't helpful) I get a message the "Visual Studio 2012 RC has stopped working" and an able to restart or debug.

I had a warning when I get to the page inspector page about the prerequisites are not satisfied. It starts out by saying the url must map to the project, so I'm not sure if the URL setup for the project doesn't work but I'm able to do everything else with it.

I added a reference in the appsettings of web.config to enable PageInspector.ServerCodeMappingEnabled, which didn't help. When I went to add a Reference I already had references for System.Web.Pages and System.Web.Pages.Razor so I wan't sure what I am supposed to reference and clicking the link to get details takes me to a blank page, but after the last round of changes the warning went away.

I am also using IIS Express.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/24/2012 at 12:11 PM
Hello Chuck,

Thanks for helping us identify this issue. This has been fixed so this shouldn't be an occurring problem in builds later than Visual Studio 2012 RC. I appreciate your help identifying the bug. For any questions or feature requests for Page Inspector, don't hesitate to email me directly.

Cheers,
Jorge
jorge.gabuardi@microsoft.com
Posted by Microsoft on 6/6/2012 at 6:05 AM
Thanks for your update. We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Chuck Cooper1 on 6/5/2012 at 11:11 AM
After downloading the feedback tool after creating this bug I ran it and indicated to attach the feedback to this issue, which included reproSteps and a minidump. I also got a dump file and uploaded it as FeedbackID-746339.zip to the url mentioned below.

I should add that when I tried the Page Inspector on another project it worked fine, so it definitely has something to do with how the page inspector was handling the current state of the project I was working on.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/4/2012 at 8:51 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2012 and .NET Framework. In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided. Could you please provide us with a dump file?

You can get detailed steps about how to get the dump file and call stack at http://blogs.msdn.com/debugger/archive/2009/12/30/what-is-a-dump-and-how-do-i-create-one.aspx

************************************************************
Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-746339" as prefix of the file name.

************************************************************
You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password: wVcmx-rx*Nx

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team